What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

My pet peeve today has nothing to do with cursive:)

People that ignore stop signs, at crosswalks, in parking lots. The cross walk should be enough to pay attention to pedestrians. The Stop sign says STOP.

Today I was walking out of the grocery store. In the crosswalk. They had a stop sign. I LOOKED right at them. And they blew thru anyway.

I guess MY mistake was making eye contact. Maybe next time I should just let them hit me:facepalm: NO.

Yeah. I DID yell, and point at the sign, for what good it did.

Oh, and Get Off of My Lawn.

OK. Now I feel better.

Yeah, I wish folks would stop at RED LIGHTS too! I stopped at a busy intersection. I didn't even notice that the light had turned green for me. DW pointed it out (fortunately, no one behind me honked at the old guy in the old Buick.) So, I leisurely pushed on the gas when a big pick up truck ran the red light from the other side. The streets were both 2 lanes, one-way and the truck managed to get into the far lane (farthest from me) and my brakes w*rked well. The truck just missed my front end.

I had seen none of this coming, but I have tentatively reconstructed what happened. I noticed that in one lane (waiting at the red light) there were maybe 4 cars. In the lane closest to me, there were no cars waiting for the red light. SO clearly, the truck passed maybe 4 cars that were stopped and then swerved into the far lane to avoid hitting me. The guy had to be doing 45mph or more. It was CLOSE.

Yeah, I wish folks would stop at RED LIGHTS too! I stopped at a busy intersection. I didn't even notice that the light had turned green for me. DW pointed it out (fortunately, no one behind me honked at the old guy in the old Buick.) So, I leisurely pushed on the gas when a big pick up truck ran the red light from the other side. The streets were both 2 lanes, one-way and the truck managed to get into the far lane (farthest from me) and my brakes w*rked well. The truck just missed my front end.

I had seen none of this coming, but I have tentatively reconstructed what happened. I noticed that in one lane (waiting at the red light) there were maybe 4 cars. In the lane closest to me, there were no cars waiting for the red light. SO clearly, the truck passed maybe 4 cars that were stopped and then swerved into the far lane to avoid hitting me. The guy had to be doing 45mph or more. It was CLOSE.

Funny you mention red light running. Right after the event I described I was in the car ready to make a left out of the parking lot, at a light. There was a long line, and I did not expect to make the light. As the light turns yellow, the car in front of me stops. Then, when it turned red, they made the left turn anyway:facepalm:

I have gotten to the point that I don't believe blinkers and I NEVER hit the gas when the light turns green. Too many IDIOTS out there.

My DGD, just turned age five, is currently being taught cursive at home. (I am not sure whether the schools in her area teach it.) Her parents want her to be able to read the Declaration of Independence in its original form, not depend upon a bot for a summary. DS loves to research methods to improve learning and memory and believes writing aids in the development of both. He is a math and computer geek, so that side of her education will not be neglected.
"When in the Courfe of human events "

Fresh out of cursive class, into history, I remember being baffled by the 4th word, although I believe it was typeset. There are different versions out there.

The long S.

By the time the Constitution was written, the long S fell out of favor. Not a peeve, just a fun memory.

Last edited:
TD transition to Schwab

Missing my TD Ameritrade account. I had a TD account and a Schwab account before the buyout and my account was transferred to Schwab. I had TD for a long time and only had the Schwab account for a few years. Whenever I wanted to do research or see if something was moving in pre or post trading I'd go to TD and look at my Positions page where it would show the price changes. Now I can't see any pre or post trading because Schwab doesn't seem to have it unless you request a quote or go into each stock to see the live (extended hours) quote. I know this is trivial but I also hate the colors. It's hard to read some of the pages with the gray lettering and gray background. I had talked to my Schwab rep before the transition, and he had said that Schwab would be adopting many of TD's website style/wordings. Only thing I've seen so far is the "Snap ticket" being added to the side of all the pages. What happened to "Think or Swim"? After the transition between the two settles down I'll have to stop in an office and see if there's an easier way to view what I want to see. Wish you could have picked which way to display your account. I don't mind change but I've been working with this since my account transferred Memorial Day weekend and still haven't found that it was easy.

Elevator Etiquette

Please.

Why must they stand right in front of the door and barge in *before* the occupants have come out.

Standing a bit to the side, letting people first walk off, and then walking in to the elevator.......I dunno, that just seems like a better method.

Please.

Why must they stand right in front of the door and barge in *before* the occupants have come out.

Standing a bit to the side, letting people first walk off, and then walking in to the elevator.......I dunno, that just seems like a better method.

I can tell you exactly (well, for me, anyway.) When the door starts to open, if I see someone, I do exactly what you say. But in some elevators, the doors get half way or more open and I see no none. Often, folks "hide" themselves back in a corner, anticipating others getting on. SO, if I see no one, I may start to enter just as folks start to get off. I always feel badly and apologize. One other thing: 95% of our elevator use is OUR elevator at the condo. We know when the elevator is busy and when it is not. SO, we rarely use the elevator when we expect anyone else is on it. It's just plain rare to meet anyone on the elevator when we use it.

SO, long story short, we are sometimes guilty but we really try not to be.

Well my amazon package finally arrived after traveling across Colorado twice. And amazon not shipping it for 6 days.
But today's peeve is with the USPS. Couple days ago my informed delivery email said I had a first class package from Auctane Shipstation. Neither DW or I have any idea what it could be, nothing we ordered. Anyway USPS said it was delivered yesterday but nothing was there. That's bad enough but before it was delivered on the USPS informed delivery website there was a button to click if I didn't receive this package. Now that USPS says it was delivered (it wasn't) that button has gone away. Could someone explain that logic?

My pet peeve of the day:

People who are completely incapable of making a point while engaged in a disagreement - as good as that point may be - without being complete a-holes about it. I guess it's the anonymity of the internet that brings out the worst in some people.

That's bad enough but before it was delivered on the USPS informed delivery website there was a button to click if I didn't receive this package. Now that USPS says it was delivered (it wasn't) that button has gone away. Could someone explain that logic?

Of course. It's just their policy. They're USPS (only sorta gummint - but not quite.) Not sure to add a smiley face or not. It's not really funny, yet...

Well my amazon package finally arrived after traveling across Colorado twice. And amazon not shipping it for 6 days.
But today's peeve is with the USPS. Couple days ago my informed delivery email said I had a first class package from Auctane Shipstation. Neither DW or I have any idea what it could be, nothing we ordered. Anyway USPS said it was delivered yesterday but nothing was there. That's bad enough but before it was delivered on the USPS informed delivery website there was a button to click if I didn't receive this package. Now that USPS says it was delivered (it wasn't) that button has gone away. Could someone explain that logic?

I get at least one text each week from the 'supposed' USPS delivery being lost, undeliverable, or damaged. We have never signed up for such a service, and have never missed a purchased delivery. Some kind of scam somehow.

My peeve from years ago, the $95 I had to pay to close my TD Ameritrade account.

Well you should have waited until now because they are saying that account closeing fees will be waived if I transfer to another broker before the transition. So I'm going to do that,transfer to Fidelity, before Labor day weekend which they are saying is my transfer to Schwab date.

Last edited:
Please.

That was me, screaming at the idiot who stepped on the airport shuttle, stood in the exit, before anyone could get off. "Get off the bus so we can get off, THEN get back on." Rounding of applause from the crowd.

My pet peeve of the day, people who meander at the gym, looking at their phones instead of getting your reps done so someone else (me) can do mine.

4 machines this morning. 4!

And it's not always just young kids like you might think.

This morning, 2 girls, 1 adult woman and 1 adult man.

My pet peeve of the day, people who meander at the gym, looking at their phones instead of getting your reps done so someone else (me) can do mine.

4 machines this morning. 4!

And it's not always just young kids like you might think.

This morning, 2 girls, 1 adult woman and 1 adult man.

I see this all the time, too. I skip that machine, do all the other machines and come back to the one with the person texting. Many times they are still on the same machine texting. At that point, I say something like: "Excuse me. Are you done?" The answer is "Oh, no. I have one more set." I wonder whether they have one more set on the machine or one more set of people to text.

People who don't respond to texts, emails or answering machine messages. Or who take forever to respond. Then when I see them, they tell me how busy they have been. What they are telling me is that I am not high enough in their social status to warrant a response.

I will not but next time when they finally respond, I want to say "Bless you for taking some of your valuable time to respond. Your kindness is legendary among us serfs."

In reality, I think the best thing is to take a hint and not contact them any more.

People who don't respond to texts, emails or answering machine messages. Or who take forever to respond. Then when I see them, they tell me how busy they have been. What they are telling me is that I am not high enough in their social status to warrant a response.

I will not but next time when they finally respond, I want to say "Bless you for taking some of your valuable time to respond. Your kindness is legendary among us serfs."

In reality, I think the best thing is to take a hint and not contact them any more.

I agree although it depends on what you mean by "forever". Some people have jobs that don't allow them access to their phones or personal computer for 12 hours. By the time they have access to their phones it is too late or too early to call/text. I have had one of those jobs so it is important to give some leeway to the working folks. I have a Brother that sometimes takes days to get back to people, even immediate family, which is not cool. Now that i'm not working I usually respond within seconds to a text unless i'm driving somewhere.

I agree although it depends on what you mean by "forever". Some people have jobs that don't allow them access to their phones or personal computer for 12 hours. By the time they have access to their phones it is too late or too early to call/text. I have had one of those jobs so it is important to give some leeway to the working folks. I have a Brother that sometimes takes days to get back to people, even immediate family, which is not cool. Now that i'm not working I usually respond within seconds to a text unless i'm driving somewhere.

An unemployed SIL takes 3 months to get back to my email on a family get together. She says she hadn't really turned her PC on. But she gets her emails on her phone and corresponds with many in her social groups.

Someone I serve on a non-profit with said she owed me a lunch or a drink. I should let her know when I was available. Within 24 hours, I let her know when I was available. 2 weeks later I have not heard from her. She is retired.

I completed a lengthy study for a non-profit where I was the volunteer Treasurer. Sent it to the CEO and hand delivered a copy. Almost 11 months later said CEO responded when I began to implement changes based on said study. Of course, CEO only acknowledged to save face.

A few neighbors do not respond to emails until I send a second a week later saying something about "Is this still your email?"

12 hours would be a dream.

I think I've posted this before, but with this morning's struggle with one of my USB external hard drives, I'll post it again. I absolutely HATE the micro-B USB connector. It can be a pain to get a solid connection, and compared to other USB connectors, seems to be far more susceptible to wear and becoming loose. My greatest fear is the jack will fail on the USB drive I was dealing with today (Seagate 8TB) and I will be unable to retrieve the data from the internal drive or write to it.

Drove through the car wash today. The guy at the entrance who sprays the front down and directs you in motioned for me to roll my window. He explained that they only do the front and driver’s side because they aren’t allowed to do the other side “for liability reasons.” Uh, OK, but I didn’t ask. He then told me he’s the manager and if I take this card and leave a five-star review on google then he would do the passenger’s side plus a free wash upon my return but I’d have to ask for him.

I should leave a one star review and describe how he bribes customers to leave fake reviews. >:D

Woke up oh dark thirty this morning for some unfathomable reason. Discovered low water pressure from tap. Seems there is another water main break a few miles from the house. To be prepared for no water, went to to the basement, the lowest water tap in the house and filled up a few pots.

Nothing, and I mean nothing ticks me off more than those little ketchup packets. You have to open 6 of them to make a decent pile, but by then you have ketchup all over your fingers.

At the point where we bring our own bottle with us or eat our fries plain, but some places do actually give you a small tub, so they get our business more often. DW doesn't care but I refuse to deal with them.

First World problem, I know....harumph!

Nothing, and I mean nothing ticks me off more than those little ketchup packets. You have to open 6 of them to make a decent pile, but by then you have ketchup all over your fingers.

At the point where we bring our own bottle with us or eat our fries plain, but some places do actually give you a small tub, so they get our business more often. DW doesn't care but I refuse to deal with them.

First World problem, I know....harumph!

And on the same subject, when I pick up a carry out that has two large fries, who came up with the idea that 2 packets (total) of said ketchup packets would be enough? 2 packets is just enough for ONE of the sammiches that accompanied the fries (you see, I always add extra ketchup to my sammich.)

But even worse than ketchup packets - how about those syrup containers for Big Breakfast or similar fast food breakfast choices. They won't open and they won't open and then - they open all over your hands and your lap and the table. No amount of diet coke soaked napkin can get all that sticky off. You gotta go to the "quality" restroom and practically shower to get it all off.

And on the same subject, when I pick up a carry out that has two large fries, who came up with the idea that 2 packets (total) of said ketchup packets would be enough? 2 packets is just enough for ONE of the sammiches that accompanied the fries (you see, I always add extra ketchup to my sammich.)

But even worse than ketchup packets - how about those syrup containers for Big Breakfast or similar fast food breakfast choices. They won't open and they won't open and then - they open all over your hands and your lap and the table. No amount of diet coke soaked napkin can get all that sticky off. You gotta go to the "quality" restroom and practically shower to get it all off.

+1. And get off my lawn!!! (B@$tard$)

+1 on the sticky syrup packets.

It makes me wonder if the people who design and sell this stuff actually use it in real life.

Back
Top Bottom