What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Watched the first episode of Foundation on Apple TV+, based on novels by science fiction writer Isaac Asimov. Visually impressive and, of course, a really interesting story.

On Netflix:

Atypical - comedy/drama about a family with 2 teenagers, one of which is on the autism spectrum. 4 seasons, half hour episodes, and I really enjoyed this one.

Paranoid - British crime drama, just 1 season, the entire season is about the investigation of one murderer.

Sex Education - comedy - high school boy's mother (Gillian Anderson) is a sex therapist, and even though the boy is inexperienced himself, he finds that he's good at giving sex advice to fellow schoolmates. Season 3 just came out and seems it'll be as good as the 1st 2 seasons.

That is the great thing about missing a series and then having streaming. Getting to watch 2->3 episodes per night for weeks :popcorn:

Yes. I've been bad about not giving a series a chance. Never watched Law and Order or NCIS but started watching both during the pandemic.

Just Started NOS4A2

Horror, supernatural - Not sure if I can tolerate anymore, but will try a few more episodes.

Last edited:
Just finished watching “Nine Perfect Strangers” (last episode dropped yesterday) on Hulu. Despite the “heavy” mature content (mental health, suicide,etc) it was very well done with a great cast headed by Nicole Kidman and intriguing characters. The ending was satisfying and made sense. I hope it gets Emmy consideration next year.

I agree with your assessment. For the most part, I enjoyed it.

Looks like Foundation has dropped on AppleTV+. From the teaser which was released months ago it looks nothing like Asimov's novels. I'm not the only one who thinks so, based on the following review from Gizmodo.

They Said Foundation Couldn't Be Filmed, and It Still Hasn't Been

The review can be summarized by its second-to-last paragraph:

For people who know or are fans of Isaac Asimov and his work, I feel compelled to warn you that if you watch the show you will see a scene so enraging that you will tear your TV in two with your bare hands; then you’ll realize how utterly unnecessary the scene was, and tear it into four.

I might check it out anyway, but I'm glad I was warned not to expect the books I so loved.

I read Asimov so long ago that I don't recall the Foundation books.

I don't even think they were my favorites at the time.

I will eventually check it out, though I don't have Apple TV+.

Actually I'm suppose to get it for free for a year from T-Mobile but haven't gotten around to it and there's so much other content.

I’m not sure a third party web review is relevant to the thread. This is about what we are watching and what we like.

What new series are you watching?

I’m also watching The Morning Show on Appletv. It’s the one with Jennifer Anniston and Reese Witherspoon. I like it, but find it very stressful to watch at times due to work issues. There’s backstabbing, office politics and sexual harassment going on which set me on edge. I sure am glad I am retired when I watch.

It’s the antithesis of the Detectorists, if anyone enjoys that one. I’m always happy and relaxed after watching it.

Last edited:
Watched a few episodes of Walker, the new one, on HBOmax. Pretty good so far so think it'll be a keeper. We have HBOmax free on our ATT fiber internet.

Dumped NOS4A2, too slow. Started Balthazar, much better. Typical Smart Coroner Police Drama. Well done, French with Subs.

I’m sure this is an unpopular opinion. But just finished season 2 of Ted Lasso. I had really enjoyed season one. But thought season 2 was mediocre bordering on lousy. And it got worse as the episodes wore on.

Also watched season 4 of Goliath. I think it’s the final season. It started slow with a lot of weird dream sequences. But it got better. I liked this series overall and like Billy Bob Thornton.

I've just started watching Season 4 of Goliath myself (EP1 and part of EP2). It's as bizarre as before, and I like that. And it has this strange, Hitchcock feel to it too.

Last edited:
I've just started watching Season 4 of Goliath myself (EP1 and part of EP2). It's as bizarre as before, and I like that. And it has this strange, Hitchcock feel to it too.

It’s kinda fun to watch Bruce Dern in this. Hadn’t seen him in a long time.

It’s kinda fun to watch Bruce Dern in this. Hadn’t seen him in a long time.

Yeah, he already looked really old like 20 years ago and he still looks about the same!

Looks like Foundation has dropped on AppleTV+. From the teaser which was released months ago it looks nothing like Asimov's novels.

I haven't read the books but have watched the first two episodes. It's not great.

The acting is decent by the leads. The CGI is of course great. The rest is dreck.

If they only spent as much money on scripts these days as they spend on spectacle movies and shows would be 10 times better.

And in this case, they can't blame it on a lack of source material (as I understand it).

I watched the first episode of "Ordinary Joe" on NBC and really liked it. It has 3 story lines that follow the same guy "Joe" on different paths his life might take him after college graduation, depending on which career and romantic partner he chooses. The story cuts quickly between the 3 story lines. I've read reviews where people complain that it's challenging to keep the story lines straight, but the creators literally color-coded them for the viewers! They use Red (Red for Rocker Joe), Blue (obvious choice for Back-the-Blue Cop Joe), and Green (as in Hospital Green for Nurse Joe) filters making it easy to keep them separate.

Not a series, but I caught the movie ‘Elizabeth is Missing’ on PBS last night and it was fabulous. Glenda Jackson’s performance in the lead was phenomenal. They aired some interview footage afterwards (the director, writer, and some actors), not sure if that will always be the case. I highly recommend it. Movie focuses on the effects of dementia (seen more clearly from the POV of the dementia sufferer), but also has a dual-mystery storyline that is cleverly developed. Worth the watch for GJ’s acting alone. I understand this is her first role in something like 25-30 years... as great as ever.

I watched the first episode of "Ordinary Joe" on NBC and really liked it. It has 3 story lines that follow the same guy "Joe" on different paths his life might take him after college graduation, depending on which career and romantic partner he chooses. The story cuts quickly between the 3 story lines. I've read reviews where people complain that it's challenging to keep the story lines straight, but the creators literally color-coded them for the viewers! They use Red (Red for Rocker Joe), Blue (obvious choice for Back-the-Blue Cop Joe), and Green (as in Hospital Green for Nurse Joe) filters making it easy to keep them separate.

Yeah, but I couldn't help but think if one was colorblind that the show would be very confusing. It'll be interesting to see where the show takes us and Joe.

I’m watching Ordinary Joe tonight and am enjoying it. I’m just struggling with the other characters and how they all fit in. I guess I should go back and watch the 1st episode (is there more than 1!prior?).

Back
Top Bottom