What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Succession on HBO. I found it hard. Season 1 was hard to get into as the characters are so darn annoying. I read Season 2 and 3 are better, and I’m well into season 2 and it seems to be better - still very annoying characters but the story is more interesting. I often listen while I’m cooking, so it doesn’t always get my full attention.

But what has me hooked is the theme song! I have sheet music for a piano version of the intro music. And as each episode closes they play a different variation on the theme, many of which are quite beautiful. I’m motivated to learn some of them on my piano - a good exercise in variations and improvisation. So I guess I’ll have to subscribe to HBO Max a bit longer until I have enough of the music down.

Last edited:
We are half way through the second season of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel". So far we are enjoying the characters especially Alex Borstein who plays Susie. What a hoot! Quite a few F bombs if you are sensitive to that but it is done with humor and fits the character. 2022 is the fourth season. It has been nominated for many awards and won quite a few of them. We will see how it goes from here. I would think it would be difficult to include fresh material after a few years like it is for most series.

Cheers!

+1 for Mrs. Maisel, All Creatures and Gilded Age.

Really like the first season of Reacher. I’ve read all the books and this one is more like the book character than T. Cruise.

We are half way through the second season of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel". So far we are enjoying the characters especially Alex Borstein who plays Susie. What a hoot! Quite a few F bombs if you are sensitive to that but it is done with humor and fits the character. 2022 is the fourth season. It has been nominated for many awards and won quite a few of them. We will see how it goes from here. I would think it would be difficult to include fresh material after a few years like it is for most series.

Cheers!
Badger, wait until you start watching Season 3 of Mrs. Maisel which just dropped. Susie has an even more prominent place in the storyline and her performance is even better! You will enjoy it!

+1 for Mrs. Maisel, All Creatures and Gilded Age.

Really like the first season of Reacher. I’ve read all the books and this one is more like the book character than T. Cruise.

Agree on both points. And thought Reacher was excellent and true to the book. The actor looked and acted much more like the Reacher in the book. Tom is just too short.

I enjoy the weekly "Somewhere Street" program on the OTA NHK channel (Japanese). You can watch past episodes for free online. Producer's description: "A unique walking-eye view of cities around the globe! Chat to the locals and enjoy encounters that only strolling the streets can bring." (Plus there is usually a short segment in each episode about popular foods.)

I also like many episodes of "Lunch ON!"
(Edit: links didn't work, such as this one https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/4017101/.)

Last edited:
I'm enjoying "Inventing Anna" on Netflix. It's amazing what this woman got away with and how many people she fooled. It's based on a true story, but I'm not going to read up on the real story until I finish the series.

Watched the first 3 episodes of "The Dropout" on Hulu. Very interesting, I remember when that went down and not sure how accurate this series is but well done.

Just finished the first season of Total Control. It's an Australian political underdog drama. Excellent. Rachel Griffiths (Six Feet Under) plays the PM. (I didn't know she was Australian!)

I watched it on Sundance Channel, but I believe you can watch it on Prime Video as well.

Last edited:
I watched Crime on Brit Box this past week. Scottish crime drama. Some of the accents were so thick I had to turn on the subtitles and even then I sometimes had no idea what they were saying.
6 episodes and I would say decent but not great. Kind of weird.

National Geographic on Disney Plus:
Will Smith Welcome to Earth.
Great show.

Watched "The Responder" UK police drama based in Liverpool UK. Story of a Flawed Police officer. Watchable but, slow.

Well, I finished the fourth season part 1 of Ozark. While I initially found the series interesting, I think it went down hill after the first couple of seasons. At this point, I can't stand any of the main characters: is it too much to ask for that they all get taken out by the end of the series?!

Well, I finished the fourth season part 1 of Ozark. While I initially found the series interesting, I think it went down hill after the first couple of seasons. At this point, I can't stand any of the main characters: is it too much to ask for that they all get taken out by the end of the series?!

The lead characters are like Walter White in Breaking Bad.

Initially they're forced to engage in criminal activity for fear of their lives and their families' lives.

But gradually they come to embrace the crime. They almost have to because when these shows run for seasons, it's hard to believe that they can sustain their criminal roles unless they want to do it rather than doing it out of fear only.

There's of course a lot of self-delusion, like they can turn it into something good.

If they don't commit crimes themselves, they'd probably be long dead.

The lead characters are like Walter White in Breaking Bad.

Initially they're forced to engage in criminal activity for fear of their lives and their families' lives.

But gradually they come to embrace the crime. They almost have to because when these shows run for seasons, it's hard to believe that they can sustain their criminal roles unless they want to do it rather than doing it out of fear only.

There's of course a lot of self-delusion, like they can turn it into something good.

If they don't commit crimes themselves, they'd probably be long dead.
For me, it's not what they do - after all two of my favorite characters are Tony Soprano, a mob boss, and Dexter, a serial killer. Rather it's their demeanor: from Marty's calm, mouse-like behavior to Ruth's screechy profanity-laden whining, I really just cringe when they're on screen. Sometimes, I just have to laugh. Even the cartel villains can't hold a candle to say, Gus Fring of Breaking Bad or even Lalo Salamanca of Better Call Saul. About the only Ozark character I kind of enjoy seeing on screen is Helen. I think I'll leave it at that. Except if any Ozark fans haven't seen Dexter (the original series) or Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul or Boardwalk Empire or The Sopranos, you really should. Ozark simply pales in comparison to any of these. At least, that's my opinion! :)

Watched the first three episodes of “The Dropout” (terrible title but based on a book by that name) the Elizabeth Holmes story of Theranos. This is on Hulu.

A fascinating profile of what drove this woman who thought she could be the next Steve Jobs or Larry Ellison (who is in the story) and the background and struggles of these visionary entrepreneurs.

The actress Amanda Seyfried who plays her is excellent. Other actors not so much.
Have to wait for more episodes to drop weekly now.

^^^ We’ve watched the first three episodes too. Fascinating story about one of the greatest business cons ever. I knew Elizabeth Holmes was odd but intriguing, evidently she was stranger than I realized. She was able to BS some very smart and wealthy people for over 10 years before it all came crashing down.

^^^ We’ve watched the first three episodes too. Fascinating story about one of the greatest business cons ever. I knew Elizabeth Holmes was odd but intriguing, evidently she was stranger than I realized. She was able to BS some very smart and wealthy people for over 10 years before it all came crashing down.

You know, now that you describe it that way, there are a lot of similarities between Dropout and Inventing Anna, which we recently watched on Netflix. I would say that Elizabeth Holmes is much more intriguing and it shows her drive and ambition from a young age.

Watched a few episodes of "Pieces of Her" on Netflix. A bit confusing but entertaining.

Just finished the first season of Total Control. It's an Australian political underdog drama. Excellent. Rachel Griffiths (Six Feet Under) plays the PM. (I didn't know she was Australian!)

I watched it on Sundance Channel, but I believe you can watch it on Prime Video as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. Enjoyed the first couple of episodes last night and look forward to more. Deborah Mailman was in the movie The Sapphires which we really liked.

Signed up for Disney+ and watched WandaVision.
We just got an offer from Amex for Disney+ Hulu and ESPN bundle through 8/31 for only the sales tax. Basically Disney charges the card, and Amex rebates the charge each month through 8/31. So as far as I can figure it with be the sales tax $1.25. It’s a targeted offer https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targ...e-spend-13-99-receive-13-99-statement-credit/

I’ve been wanting to watch some National Geographic programming but hadn’t pulled the plug until now. Doubt I’ll use the other channels.

Last edited:
Binged Peacemaker over the weekend, I love James Gunn's storytelling, so it was really enjoyable. Looking forward to season 2.

Back
Top Bottom