What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

we never saw a single minute of the Soprano's series....will this movie make sense to us or is it for fans of the series only?
I just started watching the prequel movie but think it benefits from some knowledge of The Sopranos' characters. But it's probably still worth watching as a standalone film.

we never saw a single minute of the Soprano's series....will this movie make sense to us or is it for fans of the series only?
I would just add that there is at least one major spoiler in the movie related to a key event in the final season of The Sopranos. Someone not familiar with the series might miss it but it's there. If you ever do watch The Sopranos (I think it's one of the best series of all time), you will want to go back and rewatch the prequel movie.

I agree. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the following season as we gave up after a few episodes.
Oh bummer. I was hoping it would continue to be very entertaining.

On a side note:
I always thought that Dwight Yoakum, the country singer, was great in the movie Slingblade.
He is back with Billy Bob in Goliath, and I think was very good again as Wendell, the head guy at some big defense contractor.

JP

tried watching the pilot for La Brea tonight....OMG it was awful. I think we lasted 20 minutes before I cried uncle and we had to switch to something else. The acting and writing was horrible.

I just finished season 1 of "Impostors", currently on Netflix. It's about a woman scamming people of their money by pretending to fall in love, marry them, then run off with everything. It's full of twists and turns and I'm looking forward to season 2.

I just finished season 1 of "Impostors", currently on Netflix. It's about a woman scamming people of their money by pretending to fall in love, marry them, then run off with everything. It's full of twists and turns and I'm looking forward to season 2.

I watched this in late 2019, IIRC. This is the best series I've seen in years. I still think about it two years later. You will love S2. You will hate that it ends.

"We're going to Scottsdale!"

tried watching the pilot for La Brea tonight....OMG it was awful. I think we lasted 20 minutes before I cried uncle and we had to switch to something else. The acting and writing was horrible.

I, on the other hand, found it worth waiting for the next couple episodes before judging. One does have to suspend belief or search for a plausible explanation... but isn't that true of all Si-Fi genre stories?

I found the acting and dialog better than most U.S. shows. It, for instance, had a very "Lost" vibe.

We just finished Season 2 (the last season, as far as I know) of “Single Handed” on Acorn. This is an Irish series about a Garda Sargent who returns from Dublin to his small hometown in the rural West of Ireland to take over as the senior Gard in a force of 2. The position had previously been held by his now-retired father and to say they view policing differently would be an understatement. Each story is about 1:30 in length, consisting of two shorter episodes but for some stories there is not a clean break between episodes. Murder, family dynamics, integrity, romance, small-town power dynamics, etc. all play into it. A B- grade from me.

I would put "watch Sopranos" on my todo list. It is one of the best series ever made for television. The movie will make much more sense after you see a few seasons of the Sopranos. The end of the movie connects you to the theme song "Woke up this morning" by UK group Alabama 3. Another good movie to see is Donnie Brasco (based on a true story) if you like mafia movies.

Last edited:

LOL! We watched the first one and yes, it was quite bad. I can't figure out if it's the acting, the writing, the horrible CGI or what. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 11%.

Having said that, I told DW I was going to watch the next one just to see if it gets worse. The premise is fine. Maybe it'll get better.

LOL! We watched the first one and yes, it was quite bad. I can't figure out if it's the acting, the writing, the horrible CGI or what. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 11%.

Having said that, I told DW I was going to watch the next one just to see if it gets worse. The premise is fine. Maybe it'll get better.

I gotta think if they can't make the first one good, what hope is there?

I'm watching "Guilt" on PBS Masterpiece. I'm halfway through the four episodes.

It keeps you guessing about what will happen next, and I like shows that do that.

I've watched through season 1, episode 7. I'm kind of disappointed. Gone are the thrilling, nail biting space missions and coverage of astronauts in training. The show has now turned into a soap opera with an overt political slant to it. I do not welcome this development.

UPDATE: I've now seen the entirety of Season 1. The last two episodes, 9 and 10, have redeemed the series in my view. Quite an exciting finish and was everything I was looking for in a space exploration show.

It keeps you guessing about what will happen next, and I like shows that do that.

I watched the first show and couldn't generate a bit of empathy with either of the two main characters..couldn't go any farther into it.

I quite enjoyed watching this, even though you really can't like any of the characters. It will continue to keep you guessing what will happen next, and I assure you, you won't!

Succession. It's IMO the best show on TV and the new season is coming up in the middle of this month. The writing is awesome as are the characters.

If you haven't seen the Sopranos then I'm jealous as that will be a real treat. It's an excellent show.

I quite enjoyed watching this, even though you really can't like any of the characters. It will continue to keep you guessing what will happen next, and I assure you, you won't!

Indeed, it kept surprising me! And I can only think of one likable character out of the whole bunch.

Succession. It's IMO the best show on TV and the new season is coming up in the middle of this month. The writing is awesome as are the characters.

If you haven't seen the Sopranos then I'm jealous as that will be a real treat. It's an excellent show.

I like Succession as well. Eager for the new season to be out.

Norsemen, on Netflix!

A comedy about Vikings, set in Norway in 790. It was a huge hit in Norway; they filmed each scene first in Norwegian, then again in English. Like Game of Thrones meets Monty Python.

Maid on Netflix - excellent, dark and infuriating.

Back
Top Bottom