What We're Making

Nice ponyboy! I’d like to do that but don’t have the woodworking equipment.

Nice ponyboy! I’d like to do that but don’t have the woodworking equipment.

We bought a few of these - they work quite well. Adjust easily to any size you want, and stay in place well. No woodworking skill required:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W2KD3MV

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BHX9GWL

71mPtI6pRfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

715knPkpxBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

-ERD50

Ronstar, you make complicated wood projects look so easy. Thanks for that video again I always enjoy them and the beautiful projects you do.

Ronstar, you make complicated wood projects look so easy. Thanks for that video again I always enjoy them and the beautiful projects you do.

Thanks - this was a fun one. The table saw jig makes it easy to cut the 22.5° angles. It's been tough for me to cut those angles and still get a good 90° angle at the top on previous flag boxes.

Ronstar - very nice of you to make that. Now your family has two memories in one object.

ERD50 - We have some inserts that are pretty nice, but to be able to go edge to edge with a clean cut that is exactly the size in each compartment you want using nice wood that you choose would be exceptional for my OCD.

Thanks - this was a fun one. The table saw jig makes it easy to cut the 22.5° angles. It's been tough for me to cut those angles and still get a good 90° angle at the top on previous flag boxes.

It would be nice to have room for stationary wood working equipment. I'm very limited for space so any cutting I do is by hand, or a skill saw.

When I did this shoe bench from old cedar fence posts, I ripped them down with a skill saw then used a draw knife to even them up. Always a lot of work because you have to make two cuts one on either side of cedar because they are too thick. Also, the posts are mostly just three side to them so that is another issue when doing it with a skill saw. Lol!

You have a very nice setup and working area.

Attachments

• IMG_0029 (1).jpg
    IMG_0029 (1).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 34
^^ very nice! And you’re right - hand tool work is a lot more work than power tools. Especially doing your work with a drawknife. You hand tool people are true craftsmen.

My plan was to downsize from power tools to all hand tools. But once I found out how much work hand tools was, I decided to hang on to power tools for a while.

^^ very nice! And you’re right - hand tool work is a lot more work than power tools. Especially doing your work with a drawknife. You hand tool people are true craftsmen.

My plan was to downsize from power tools to all hand tools. But once I found out how much work hand tools was, I decided to hang on to power tools for a while.

Yep, if I had room, I would have some stationary wood working tools. I could have room at the ranch but afraid the tools would find legs and walk away. I never have had any problems with theft, but you never know.

I have "mobile woodworking tools"

50800370103_20c1aee446_c.jpg

I have a sturdy bench on wheels that stores in the shed. In and out easy.

The bench has a removable platform that my portable table saw can sit on and the bench provides a "push off" space.

It's dark outside and so is the setup, but I'll post a pic tomorrow. Not as good as a 500 pound Grizzly, but we do the best we can eh?

Just finished the construction and installation of an entertainment/fireplace wall for our family room. PXL_20221105_153912121.MP.jpg

DW's uncle passed at 96. WWII vet. I made his daughter a flag box for his burial flag

Y7UWRX5.jpg
That's cool. I need to do that... No I'm not a woodworker so my flag box will be store bought.

My dad and my FIL (both WWII vets) had the same flag covering their coffins during their burial ceremonies. Hey they would have liked that since it saved a few more bucks.

All y'alls been busy. Nice projects from everyone. Brought back memories of the pc I made for the siblings for pop's memories... Back to when I had access to a cnc. Shell pucks and hanger with shells and medallion. Them angles gave me fits too.

Attachments

• IMG_20180824_070206.jpg
    IMG_20180824_070206.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20180827_115219.jpg
    IMG_20180827_115219.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 62
I'm resurrecting a Craftsman table saw my wife gave me about 25 years ago. I used it a few times to cut down some plywood but that was it. I really don't know how to use it or set it up properly. So far I have sanded the cast iron top with WD40 and fine "wet/dry" black sandpaper. Still some work to do on the rest of the parts. I will soon have room in the garage to move it around once the wheels are lubed and free rolling.

This seems to be the best resource for guidance. I am on a budget so can any of the members who have experience guide me to the first accessories and blades to get started?

Cheers!

I'm resurrecting a Craftsman table saw my wife gave me about 25 years ago. I used it a few times to cut down some plywood but that was it. I really don't know how to use it or set it up properly. So far I have sanded the cast iron top with WD40 and fine "wet/dry" black sandpaper. Still some work to do on the rest of the parts. I will soon have room in the garage to move it around once the wheels are lubed and free rolling.

This seems to be the best resource for guidance. I am on a budget so can any of the members who have experience guide me to the first accessories and blades to get started?

Cheers!

The way I got comfortable with my table saw was by using it for rough projects. For example, in the garden, I had a need for 2x2. Instead of buying the 2x2s, I ripped 3 from one 2x6. Saved a few pennies, but mostly got really comfortable using the saw. 1/16" or even 1/8" didn't matter. Good practice.

After this, I had a small project that required a dado. I cut the dado in the raw board using the saw. Here, I got familiar with setting the height of the blade. I didn't use a dado blade because that requires taking out the throat plate, and it they are discouraged for beginners, and I think illegal in Europe. I just ran multiple passes. It was good practice to understand how to adjust the fence, and keep the sheet in a good plane.

I'm still learning too. I mostly use it to rip laminate flooring boards.

Last edited:

Cheers!

Build a crosscut sled. Check youtube, plenty of examples. Keep it simple, you can always build a fancier once you have a little experience with it.

-ERD50

Build a crosscut sled. Check youtube, plenty of examples. Keep it simple, you can always build a fancier once you have a little experience with it.

-ERD50

And keep the screws on the bottom countersunk so they don’t scratch the table saw surface. And put furniture wax on the bottom of the sled and table saw top.

I don’t have recommendations for budget accessories, I use Freud blades.

DIL lost the key for locking lug nuts on her car. Went to the dealer and they removed them with a master key, pleasantly surprised that they did it for no charge. But paid $19 at the parts department for 2 replacement lug nuts (already had 2 others).

Got home and put on her winter tires then replaced a burned out LED outside light fixture.

And keep the screws on the bottom countersunk so they don’t scratch the table saw surface. And put furniture wax on the bottom of the sled and table saw top.

I don’t have recommendations for budget accessories, I use Freud blades.

Diablo blades are good too. I use a fine tooth (60 or 80 tooth 12", I think) for the table and chop saw. Using a decent blade makes a big difference in smooth & clean cuts.

I got a cheaper dado stack as they rarely are seen.

YouTube is a great place to learn different ways to skin a cat. Ronstar has some quality vids out there. Bourbon Moth has entertainment mixed in. Jon Peters also is good for explaining details...

Diablo blades are good too. I use a fine tooth (60 or 80 tooth 12", I think) for the table and chop saw. Using a decent blade makes a big difference in smooth & clean cuts.

I got a cheaper dado stack as they rarely are seen.

YouTube is a great place to learn different ways to skin a cat. Ronstar has some quality vids out there. Bourbon Moth has entertainment mixed in. Jon Peters also is good for explaining details...

Thanks - Bourbon Moth is quite entertaining. I'm still trying to figure out how he made that massive wall unit. Looked like something that Surewhitey would turn out.

Back
Top Bottom