What We're Making

Spent 2 days in knife making class. I wanted an old school hammered knife. got one. Not really fine cutlery though.

3o51zJN.jpg

What kind of wood was used, and did you do a full pledged forged knife??

I can't wait either but it looks like it will take some time. The motor turns on but does not always engage the blade. If I take the belt off the motor runs smooth and no problem until I attach the blade. Then it is a bit noisy and engages the blade only occasionally. I had the condenser checked out and the motor is now in the shop to determine the problem. Without the belt on the blade spins freely and the same for the motor. (:confused:).
In the mean time I will resurrect an older miter saw and see about making a table on wheels for it since there isn't much room in the garage and I need everything to be mobile.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Cheers!

You will enjoy doing a project once things are up and running. I have a few things started and is nice to have a fill in project on day I can't do other things.
Good Luck!
Good luck

What kind of wood was used, and did you do a full pledged forged knife??

The wood is maple - called tiger or curly maple because of the striped grain. I dyed it and then dipped in danish oil followed by more oil/ beeswax.

We (our class) started with steel bars that were already cut to the knife shape by cnc. We ground the edge, put it in the forge, and hammered the finish, then temper and final ground the edge.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 7.50.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 7.50.47 AM.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 30
Very cool to have a local class to teach those skills.

^It was a great class and would be better if it was closer,, but I had to drive almost 4 hours to Indianapolis for the class. Indy Hammered Knives is the name of the place. https://ihknives.com/t/hand-forged-knives

Cool thing is that the owner has a membership program - for a yearly fee you can come in and use the shop whenever you want. There were random guys coming and making stuff both days I was there.

Class was interesting. Students were 3 guys I'd say in their 40's. A woman around 50, and one of the guys brought his young teenage daughter. 6 students in the class - first day 2 instructors, 2nd day 1 instructor.

The wood is maple - called tiger or curly maple because of the striped grain. I dyed it and then dipped in danish oil followed by more oil/ beeswax.

We (our class) started with steel bars that were already cut to the knife shape by cnc. We ground the edge, put it in the forge, and hammered the finish, then temper and final ground the edge.

That would be a great time for me. Really nice work as usual. Boards are a great way for them scraps, I just wanted to do something different for once. The last time I did these was 4 years ago and they still look nice...back then I had access to the cnc.

Attachments

• IMG_20180525_143832.jpg
    IMG_20180525_143832.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 89
Spent 2 days in knife making class. I wanted an old school hammered knife. got one. Not really fine cutlery though.

3o51zJN.jpg

Looks terrific! Knives can truly be works of art. What was the process to form the blade and get that coloration?

Looks terrific! Knives can truly be works of art. What was the process to form the blade and get that coloration?

Thanks. The knife maker who taught our class gets all of his production knives and knives for classes from a steel suppler who supplies knife blanks cut on a cnc.

I took the cnc'd blank and heated it in a forge and then beat on it with a hammer over an anvil. Hammer and anvil had lots of dents in them to create the patina in the knife. After tempering, the teacher stonewashed the knife. Not sure what stone washing consists of but I think it gets tumbled in a container with abrasives.

Most knives in the class were a consistent color. Mine had some black in it for some reason.

Here's a pic of me forging the knife blank.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 5.40.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 5.40.36 PM.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 46
Had a knife blank and some spalted tamarind. After assembly, decided that I don't like this kind of knife blank with screws to hold on handle. Prefer epoxied pins.

UJuvAH3.jpg

I'm learning the art of Kumiko. No photos yet but I'm working a making small gift boxes with Kumiko lids.

Had a knife blank and some spalted tamarind. After assembly, decided that I don't like this kind of knife blank with screws to hold on handle. Prefer epoxied pins.

UJuvAH3.jpg

That is very nice-looking knife!

UJuvAH3.jpg

Gorgeous knife. I wonder if the screws were not counter sunk as much whether it would be more appealing to you.

Gorgeous knife. I wonder if the screws were not counter sunk as much whether it would be more appealing to you.

Thanks - Yep - I was disappointed in the screws. They came with the knife blank and are only about 1/4" long connector screws, so I had to countersink them that much to work. I'll never use screws again.

Whipped up a couple charcuterie boards from scraps. Added a little turquoise at the butt ends.
6RPCrfJ.jpg

7GUlQYx.jpg

Those are beautiful!! So, the turquoise added to those cutting boards how do you get that material??

Those are beautiful!! So, the turquoise added to those cutting boards how do you get that material??

+1 I'm curious about the turquoise as well. At first glance, I was thinking it was ground material mixed with epoxy?

-ERD50

Thanks - Several years ago, a touristy shop in Sedona, Az was selling small baggies of crushed turquoise. I bought 2 bags about a cup of material total. The shop's son worked in a copper mine, and hauled out buckets of turquoise and gave to his mom to sell. I think the mine was around Kingman, Az.

I went back to the shop several months ago - shop has a new owner and they no longer sell turquoise. I may see if I can buy directly from an Az mine this winter. I'd like to get a few cups more.

+1 I'm curious about the turquoise as well. At first glance, I was thinking it was ground material mixed with epoxy?

-ERD50

Yes - The turquoise comes slightly crushed, but I crush it finer with a hammer - and you're right - I mix with 5 minute epoxy.

The butt joints in the initial glue ups have small gaps inconsistent in size. So I router out the joints, fill with turquoise / epoxy and sand down flush to the board.

WOW! That is very interesting on your build. I would like to find a source for some turquoise myself.

Beautiful work!!

I did a look, and you can get turquoise in a crushed form online. I might be getting me some.

Last edited:
WOW! That is very interesting on your build. I would like to find a source for some turquoise myself.

Beautiful work!!

Thanks - There are some turquoise sellers online, but I need to see it before I buy it. I found this one in Gilbert Az. I may go there this winter to see what they have, but I think it would be more fun to go to a mine.

https://alltribes.com/rough-turquoise/

Great idea for the turquoise. Very nice.

Do I see wenge & yellow heart in there. Great mix of woods.

Great idea for the turquoise. Very nice.

Do I see wenge & yellow heart in there. Great mix of woods.

Thanks - yes Wenge, no yellow heart. There is some spalted hackberry in there that could look like yellow heart. And some maple, walnut, oak, cherry, mahogany, little mesquite and bocote.

Back
Top Bottom