Which job to pick?

Humm, it seems that OP doesn't have a good feel for the impact of 24/7 availability. Consider telling #1 that you is very interested in their offer and want to meet with the manager to discuss his/her expectations further. Then get in deep on the 24/7 issue. OP is in a great negotiating position with #1 right now, it will never get better.

24/7 availability is a BIG issue, it could make the commute to #2 a picnic.

They don't say 24/7 for nothing. They will be calling. What response time do they require? No going out to eat without interuption. No movies. No getting drunk. Think about it. The pay per hour when there are 24 that you will be working will not be good.

A fellow Baltimorean! I agree that I would never accept a job with 24/7 on call. I did that for many years. My sister works for the federal gov and they encourage her to work from home. If you could do that a few days a week - commute ptoblem solved.

Well, I told HR at job # 1 that I would accept the position. Now I just have to hear back from the government...

Roughly how old are you? Any wife/kids to consider? Would they be impacted?

I'm 23. No wife or kids right now. I'm actually still living with my parents :-[

geeman said:
I'm 23.  No wife or kids right now.  I'm actually still living with my parents     :-[

Whoa. You're 23 years old and you'll be earning near $60k a year? Many people your age are still pouring Starbucks coffee.

First things first though. Move out. It's time to go.

Whoa. You're 23 years old and you'll be earning near $60k a year? Many people your age are still pouring Starbucks coffee.

First things first though. Move out. It's time to go.

Not so hasty. Maybe living in his parent's basement is a good way to get to FIRE by 30. :D

Just curious, what sort of job qualification for a 23 year old starting at $60,000.

The comute would not seem to pose a problem! Pick the job you want and Move!

Congrats to you! 60k/yr and you're 23! I'm 22 and scraping in only 33k.yr from my 9-5, and maybe 20k/yr from my own business.

In 1966 a college graduate made about $6,000 a year starting salary. At 3.5% inflation that would be $23,755 today. Your salaries look real good!

Rustic23 said:
In 1966 a college graduate made about $6,000 a year starting salary. At 3.5% inflation that would be $23,755 today. Your salaries look real good!

Uhuh, but what has average student loan debt/cost of college done in the intervening years? What has the average work week done? Should I even mention the cost of housing?

Its not all roses.

This could quickly digress into another statistic argument. 3 to 4% is what is often stated as the inflation rate. To get to $60,000 you have a 5.9% rate. We could also digress into what an employer pays for when he sets a wage, and weather the current price of a college degree is worth the dept (my first employer did not care what my financial state ie how much dept I had). My point was, it appears starting salaries appear to have kept pace with inflation. When I think of my standard of living at that time, it is not that much different than my children.

Well, I graduated from college in Dec of 2004 with a degree in Geographic Information Systems. My first job title after school was a systems engineer ($45,000) for a Naval contractor. It is now just over a year from graduating and I'm jumping from this systems engineer position to either one of these jobs.

My goal is to put in 30 years with the government, retire at 53 and then travel...

I actually don't mind living with my parents (they are really cool), but my girlfriend doesn't think too much of it :) Free food, free rent, free utilites, can't beat it.

geeman said:
My goal is to put in 30 years with the government, retire at 53 and then travel...

I actually don't mind living with my parents .... Free food, free rent, free utilites, can't beat it.

Start paying your parents for your room and board, you aren't in need of their charity.  They may enjoy having you around, and they may bank what you pay them for the day you buy your first home (mine used it to pay for my wedding), but you need to do the grown up thing and don't mooch.

The Feds"
+/-
Don't count on the Fed retirement program staying the same as it is today.  The retirement program looks like the private sector 401(k) - you aren't boxed in by CSRS. 

You can encounter bosses who are jerks in the public sector, just like anywhere else. 

+
As currently structured, if you retire with an annuity you can continue your health insurance - a big thing for early retirees. 

USUALLY the working conditions (hours) are more humane - no 24/7 unless you are in management. 

They will want to hold on to your skill set.  You have less exposure to the ups and downs of economic cycles.

Good luck with whatever position you hold.

The Feds"
+/-
Don't count on the Fed retirement program staying the same as it is today. The retirement program looks like the private sector 401(k) - you aren't boxed in by CSRS.

Are you saying that the government is going towards a retirement plan that is similar to a 401k?

Dang, 23 and making 60k! My title is also "systems engineer", but I'm in system security, also for a contractor. I don't make that much more than that and I'm 31. I do live in San Diego, however, and I've been told I can make more in your neck of the woods. In fact, I have a standing offer for a 25% raise if I move there. I'm just a little too addicted to San Diego at this point (more to the point, DW is).

Ya, pay your parents rent. When I was 22, I was living with my grandma, paid her ~$300 a month so I wasn't a mooch. Funny, when I moved out, she said, "boy, that worked really well, I'm thinking of putting out a room for rent ad!" - I explained to her a guy who wasn't her grandson may not be so curteous....

geeman said:
Are you saying that the government is going towards a retirement plan that is similar to a 401k?

The program for hires after 1983 is known as FERS.  You are in Social Security, there is a modest annuity, and they have a Thrift Savings Plan (known as TSP) much like a 401k.  TSP is very cost efficeint.

For more information link to:  http://www.opm.gov/retire/html/retirement/fers.html

If he starts paying his parents rent, don't they have to report it as rental income?

Does anyone see any problems with the TSP program? If I sock tons of $$$ into this account, I don't want the government to pull a fast one on me.

One thing to be careful of, when accepting a job offer and then backing out, is that you don't want to get a reputation as a flake. This may not be a concern, unless you work in a specialized/niche industry, but you don't want to do it over and over again. You're young so you can get away with it...but it's something to remember for the future...you never know when the ass you kick today may be connected to the feet you have to kiss tomorrow.

The money you put in the Thrift Saving Program, and the match, is your's.  The program is excellant.  Stack the max in TSP (or a 401k if that is what your employer offers).  Most young workers feel that they need all their earnings to meet current needs and can't do that.  Not true, what you don't see you won't miss.

When I spoke of changes know that the match could change in the future, or the calculation on the annuity could change (from 3-yr average to 5-yr average, for example).

Any $ you give your parents for your room and board is not income to them, you are simply paying your share of the household expenses.  If they gift it back to you at a later date that isn't a taxable event unless the $$$$ are substantial (they should check the then current tax code if it is over $10,000).

geeman said:
I'm 23.  No wife or kids right now.  I'm actually still living with my parents     :-[

Dude, please tell me that has enabled you to save a sh*t-ton of $$$, and you haven't spent it.

Back
Top Bottom