Amazon Prime movie suggestions

I must agree; bathroom humor and crude language is a lazy way to get a laugh from the sophomoric audience that spends the most money on going to the movies. I turned off "Bridesmaids" on the plane when the "joke" was having a bunch of women have sudden diarrhea in the bathroom sink.

Just watched "Anthropoid," a new item to Amazon. A movie about Czechoslovkia during the Nazi occupation. Resistance fighters are given the assignment of assassinating one of the chief architects of the "Final Solution." Based on actual events. Slow at the beginning, but builds up at the end.

Amazon has a new show called Loch Ness--a present-day murder mystery set in duh, Scotland--that started three weeks ago. There is a new episode every Monday. Really enjoying it.

Amazon has a new show called Loch Ness--a present-day murder mystery set in duh, Scotland--that started three weeks ago. There is a new episode every Monday. Really enjoying it.

We are watching it on Acorn and really enjoying it. The scenery is wonderful.

That was an excellent production. If I recall right, it only ran 2 seasons. Does Amazon show more?

I think it was just the six episodes. There should have been another set involving Anne of Cleves and the eventual disgrace of Thomas Cromwell as this was covered in the books, but I don't think it's happening.

Well - maybe -
The Mirror and the Light is an upcoming historical novel by Hilary Mantel, the final part of a planned trilogy charting the rise and fall of Thomas Cromwell, the powerful minister in the court of King Henry VIII.[1][2]

The Mirror and the Light is expected to cover the last four years of Cromwell's life, from the execution of Anne Boleyn (1536) to Cromwell's execution (1540).

We just started watching the series "The Night [-]Messenger[/-] Manager". It is loosely based on a John Le Carre novel.

Starts out with a British hotel manager in an upscale establishment and a pretty woman who is the girl friend of a notorious wealth Egyptian. She is privy to some secrets of a British arms merchant.

Note: Corrected the title above.

Last edited:
We just started watching the series "The Night Messenger". It is loosely based on a Johe Lecarre novel.

Starts out with a British hotel manager in an upscale establishment and a pretty woman who is the girl friend of a notorious wealth Egyptian. She is privy to some secrets of a British arms merchant.

I think you meant "The Night Manager". Thanks for the suggestion - I love Le Carre.

Just saw A Man Called Ove about a cantankerous old man who has been laid off from work, and now roams around his neighborhood looking for HOA rules violations to enforce. It's in the Swedish language and has English subtitles. I liked this movie. The main character is acted well, and the story is interesting. There are flashbacks to events in his life throughout the movie. One word of warning: there are three different occurrences in this movie of the viewer being slapped in the face with political correctness, and it sticks out like a sore thumb, as though someone decided to squeeze the scenes in, eve though they do nothing for the plot.

Last edited:
We are watching it on Acorn and really enjoying it. The scenery is wonderful.

Oh, right, it's not really Amazon--we have Acorn through Amazon. Anyway, we wait for Mondays for the new episodes to drop--two more, I think?

Just saw A Man Called Ove about a cantankerous old man who has been laid off from work, and now roams around his neighborhood looking for HOA rules violations to enforce. It's in the Swedish language and has English subtitles. I liked this movie. The main character is acted well, and the story is interesting. There are flashbacks to events in his life throughout the movie. One word of warning: there are three different occurrences in this movie of being slapped in the face with political correctness, and it sticks out like a sore thumb, and is almost offensive (to me). But it didn't ruin the movie for me. I recommend it.

Interesting. DH and I also watched "A Man Called Ove" last night. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and cannot think of three occurrences of being slapped by political correctness. The interaction with the gay man is probably one you are referencing. What other scenes struck you as pushing a "politically correct" agenda?

Just saw A Man Called Ove about a cantankerous old man who has been laid off from work, and now roams around his neighborhood looking for HOA rules violations to enforce. It's in the Swedish language and has English subtitles. I liked this movie. The main character is acted well, and the story is interesting. There are flashbacks to events in his life throughout the movie. One word of warning: there are three different occurrences in this movie of the viewer being slapped in the face with political correctness, and it sticks out like a sore thumb, as though someone decided to squeeze the scenes in, eve though they do nothing for the plot.

I thought we were supposed to stay away from politics.

The movie "The Dressmaker". Very entertaining.

+1.

We just started watching the series "The Night [-]Messenger[/-] Manager". It is loosely based on a John Le Carre novel.

Note: Corrected the title above.

One of our favorite recent series. Just wish there were more episodes.

Last edited:
This is a good thread, so let's not get sidetracked. :)

Are we discussing Netflix suggestions here too? I looked for a Netflix thread and couldn't find it. I just finished watching "Shetland" on Netflix, and am now indulging fantasies about living there, the same way I dreamed about living in a Cornish fishing village after watching "Doc Martin", and in rural Ireland after watching "Single-Handed". It seems to be a pattern with me :LOL: *

"Shetland" is a modern detective series set against the rugged and beautiful landscape of the Shetland Islands. Good acting, storylines, and a fantastic setting. Highly recommended, if you like that sort of thing.

*and Hastings, after watching "Foyle's War".

Are we discussing Netflix suggestions here too? I looked for a Netflix thread and couldn't find it. I just finished watching "Shetland" on Netflix, and am now indulging fantasies about living there, the same way I dreamed about living in a Cornish fishing village after watching "Doc Martin", and in rural Ireland after watching "Single-Handed". It seems to be a pattern with me :LOL: *

"Shetland" is a modern detective series set against the rugged and beautiful landscape of the Shetland Islands. Good acting, storylines, and a fantastic setting. Highly recommended, if you like that sort of thing.

*and Hastings, after watching "Foyle's War".

+1...on Shetland, etc. & [-]living[/-] a long vacation in each location. :D

Not a movie but a series. The Expanse season 1 from the SciFy channel, free for Prime subscribers.

Also, another series, "The Americans" - Soviet spy-craft in 1960's America. First 3 seasons available free for Prime subscribers.

The Expanse is brilliant SF. I knew I'd love it the moment I saw one of the characters using a broad sign-language to emphasize his words, and realized that the early Belters would have been in space suits much of the time and such gestures became part of means of communication. Another high point was the crack in the lead cop's handheld device. It's the little things that give verisimilitude, which is so important in an SF series. People talk about the willing suspension of disbelief, but disbelief is not suspended, it is held up by force. Little things ease the load.

I went looking for this today. But it requires an Acorn TV subscription. Just to forewarn the others.

Last edited:
Mary and Martha, a 2013 HBO production. Free for prime members.

I watched this one last night. Not brilliant but a good story about two women who lose their only sons to malaria. Plus with Hilary Swank and Brenda Blethyn, it's just a treat t watch.

Rita

Back
Top Bottom