Daily percent change in your weight

@splitwdw, I work out about 2 hours every day. I am trying to figure out how much I need to drink during a long run in hot weather. I suffer from cardiac drift.

Not sure what you mean by "suffer from cardiac drift". It's a natural occurring increase in your core temperature which elevates heart rate. Happens to all long distance runners. Here are some tips on hydrating before, during and after running plus a sweat loss calculator. http://http://runnersconnect.net/how-to-run-in-the-heat/

People are 50-60% water by weight.

For women ideal range for body water is between 45-60 percent.

I was jesting.

What is the amount of water one can lose before some trauma to the body is caused? For example, diarrhea can kill because it causes loss of fluid.

A Wikipedia article has this to say about dehydration.

Most people can tolerate a three to four percent decrease in body water without difficulty. A five to eight percent decrease can cause fatigue and dizziness. Over ten percent can cause physical and mental deterioration, accompanied by severe thirst. A decrease more than fifteen to twenty-five percent of the body water is invariably fatal.

Let's say Scrinch weighs 170 lbs. Then, his body water is 85 lbs. For a loss of 10 lbs, that's 12% loss of body water. His condition was marginal!

I just learned another thing too. That is men have more water than women.

From Wikipedia:

By weight, the average human adult male is approximately 60% water. However, there can be considerable variation in body water percentage based on a number of factors like age, health, weight, and gender. In a large study of adults of all ages and both sexes, the adult human body averaged ~53% water. However, this varied substantially by age, sex, and adiposity (amount of fat in body composition). The figure for water fraction by weight in this sample was found to be 48 ±6% for females and 58 ±8% water for males.​

I was jesting.

What is the amount of water one can lose before some trauma to the body is caused? For example, diarrhea can kill because it causes loss of fluid.

A Wikipedia article has this to say about dehydration.

Most people can tolerate a three to four percent decrease in body water without difficulty. A five to eight percent decrease can cause fatigue and dizziness. Over ten percent can cause physical and mental deterioration, accompanied by severe thirst. A decrease more than fifteen to twenty-five percent of the body water is invariably fatal.

Let's say Scrinch weighs 170 lbs. Then, his body water is 85 lbs. For a loss of 10 lbs, that's 12% loss of body water. His condition was marginal!

Pretty normal for athletes to drop 10-35 pounds of water via sauna sessions in the 48 hours prior to weigh in.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm a big guy, so that 10 lbs is between 4% and 5% of my total weight, or about 7% of my body water, assuming I'm only about 40% snakes and snails, etc, with the rest being water.

I've been weighing myself in the morning and at night for about 18 months now, since I started exercising regularly. Sometimes I also weigh myself during the day just for "fun." I find that since I hit my ideal body weight, my weight has stayed pretty darn close to the 165 and 167 range. I consistently weigh less in the morning, typically by about 1.5 pounds. That is unless I snack within a couple hours before bed the night before... in which case my weight is pretty much the same as the night before. Not sure if that's because of the timing of the snacking or the type of snacking. The healthier, higher fiber stuff really keeps my metabolism going whereas the chips and salty snacks really slow it down. I'm sure it's the combination of the bad food followed by complete inactivity at bedtime. I learned that evening snacking is a no-no if you're trying to watch your weight but I'll still do this one or maybe two days a week. I think much of my intraday weight variation is simply due to water loss and gain. I went from 166 to 162 one morning after doing 5 hours of yard work in the heat. And I can add pounds drinking several glasses of water after a workout. Sometimes it seems that I'm a little obsessed about monitoring my weight, but for me it has helped to maintain good habits and avoid (or at least limit) bad habits.

I'm currently at my weight target. I weigh first thing each morning and see daily variations of about +/- 2%. I attribute this to water, and suspect it's pretty much based on salt intake. Pizza is an impressive salt source and weighing shows the effects of eating that for a couple of days.

Coach

I weigh myself after bike rides, which amounts to three times a week. I do it then because I'm consistent and probably as dehydrated as I get... I think it's a good measure of true bodyweight. Generally, I stay consistently in a two-lb range. If I weigh myself in an off time, I can be as much as 4lbs heavier than my lightest weight. For me, those amount to no more than 3% change from water, etc.

Makes sense you weigh less in the morning - we dehydrate quite a bit while we sleep, and you haven't eaten anything in probably 10 hours or more.

I don't care very much what the scale reads, as I place more importance on what I see in the mirror;)

I'm currently at my weight target. I weigh first thing each morning and see daily variations of about +/- 2%.

I've been weighing myself in the morning and at night for about 18 months now, since I started exercising regularly. Sometimes I also weigh myself during the day just for "fun." I find that since I hit my ideal body weight, my weight has stayed pretty darn close to the 165 and 167 range. I consistently weigh less in the morning, typically by about 1.5 pounds.
I have seen the same thing. I got down to 162 about two years ago and see my morning weight stay right there with the occasional fluctuation up to +- 2 pounds. Eating junk for a day doesn't seem to make a difference. I haven't tried eating poorly for several days in a row and hope to avoid that.

I'm a big guy, so that 10 lbs is between 4% and 5% of my total weight, or about 7% of my body water, assuming I'm only about 40% snakes and snails, etc, with the rest being water.

......don't forget puppy dog tails

Since we've derailed....

The majority of your body is parasitic and symbiotic organisms that you cannot live without. Furthermore, at the atomic level, each atom is 99.999% empty space. "You" are much less than you believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I was very pleasantly surprised to see that my weight was exactly the same as when I left, particularly since the last 22 days of the trip was on board cruise ships.

That is no small feat. I still remember gaining 10 lbs in 7 days on a trip to St. Thomas with the first wife. And I was 28 then. All those restaurant meals and I enjoyed them all to the max....

That is no small feat. I still remember gaining 10 lbs in 7 days on a trip to St. Thomas with the first wife. And I was 28 then. All those restaurant meals and I enjoyed them all to the max....

When I left High School I got a job as a traveling baker selling bread, cakes, pastries etc. My dream job as an 18 year old. When I left 13 weeks later I was 21lbs heavier, going from 161lbs to 184 (I also had more money than I'd ever seen so consumed lots of beer at the pubs out with my mates as we all knew we'd be going our different ways to college).

It was a great summer :dance:

Is there any way to determine one's ideal weight?

I was about right (I think) 10 years ago. Since then I've gained 5%. Does that make me overweight? There is a little bulge at the midriff but I still wear the same size pants comfortably. Maybe a little bulge is quite natural for a 60+ male who exercises regularly.

On a scale of 1 to 10, my guess is I'm a "1" on the concerns of being overweight.

Oops, looking at the thread title I guess this is thread drift. My max variation on a daily basis is maybe 2% at most.

Last edited:
I was very pleasantly surprised to see that my weight was exactly the same as when I left, particularly since the last 22 days of the trip was on board cruise ships.
But cruise ships are known for weight loss. It's a by-product of norovirus.

I lost 5 pounds this morning after 2.5 hours behind my walk-behind mower in 90 degree heat. That would be about 2.5% body weight for me.

My mower mows at 4.5 MPH, so that should be about 9 miles walking.

I enjoyed it so much that I saved some for tomorrow.:)

This is my exercise. I do have a real tractor that's like driving a modern car.

Ever cringe upon hearing; do I look fat, am I getting heavier….
Do you think either the one asking or being ask needs the service of a scale? The fascination to repetitively quantify with mechanical devices the already known is interesting.

The fascination to repetitively quantify with mechanical devices the already known is interesting.

One reason we track weight is because it's easy. Similarly, taking your temperature when you are sick is easy, but not especially useful.

It's only going to get "worse" as Apple and Google roll out health/medical monitoring systems for their phones.

Along with wearable monitors and people will be tracking all sorts of things since it will all be easy now.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantified_Self

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom