Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're long off the tee then you're driving is probably better than you think, hitting 8 of 14 fairways is probably close to the PGA Tour average for fairways hit.
I average right at 250 yds unless I mishit. I usually uncork one out to 260-270 at least once per round. It's helpful when it lands in the fairway, but I'm more likely to lose a ball when I'm offline than many of my fellow league players who are mostly older than I am...

The guy I played with last week who shot a 68 was putting them out at 250 off the tee, almost every time! I don't think he lost a single ball, I usually lose at least one per round - almost always off the tee. :blush:

Last edited:
I average right at 250 yds unless I mishit. I usually uncork one out to 260-270 at least once per round. It's helpful when it lands in the fairway, but I'm more likely to lose a ball when I'm offline than many of my fellow league players who are mostly older than I am...

I took some lessons earlier this year and my drives went from 210 - 220 or so to 250+...now a lot of the bunkers I used to be short of are now in play :LOL:

I bought some of the new 4 layer Kirkland golf balls. They sold out so fast, I didn’t even bother trying to alert the ER group. I was so happy to get some. Then I started reading reviews of the new ball and they were terrible. Not just that they weren’t as good as the original k-sigs, but they were defective. The balls were being cut under normal golf conditions. People had cut the balls open and the outer layer was not bonded to the inner layer. The separation was causing significant issues. Still, I wasn’t worried because Costco’s return policy and, some reviewers were not having any issues. So, I figured I’d use them tomorrow and see if I got lucky and got some good balls.

Well, today it all became moot. Costco sent me an e-mail saying they were aware of the issue and they they would refund me the entire purchase price AND that I can keep the balls. So, tomorrow I’m still going out with the hope that I got some without any issues but either way, no concern about having to return them if I didn’t. Good job Costco. Now I just hope when they get this sorted out I can score some from the next run. Fingers crossed.

You had me worried for a minute there because I recently ordered some and had been using them for the last month or so. However I just checked my order and they're the Kirkland Signature 3-piece Urethane Cover Golf ball not the 4 layer ball.

I bought some of the new 4 layer Kirkland golf balls. They sold out so fast, I didn’t even bother trying to alert the ER group. I was so happy to get some. Then I started reading reviews of the new ball and they were terrible. Not just that they weren’t as good as the original k-sigs, but they were defective. The balls were being cut under normal golf conditions. People had cut the balls open and the outer layer was not bonded to the inner layer. The separation was causing significant issues. Still, I wasn’t worried because Costco’s return policy and, some reviewers were not having any issues. So, I figured I’d use them tomorrow and see if I got lucky and got some good balls.

Well, today it all became moot. Costco sent me an e-mail saying they were aware of the issue and they they would refund me the entire purchase price AND that I can keep the balls. So, tomorrow I’m still going out with the hope that I got some without any issues but either way, no concern about having to return them if I didn’t. Good job Costco. Now I just hope when they get this sorted out I can score some from the next run. Fingers crossed.
Maybe you read the MGS report. They said the lack of bonding was the lesser problem. They found the covers easier to cut than any ball they’d ever seen since balatas were around. But best of luck.

The first K-Sig was a fluke that won’t be repeated. Costco bought a bunch of good balls from a Nassau Quattro overrun. Between what TM and Titleist did in response, there won’t be another unicorn ball from Costco. None have been from the Nassau factory since, and likely won’t be.

I too have the 3 layer balls and like them a lot. But, the old 4 layer balls were said to rival (said to be) ProV’s so I thought I’d grab some when I saw them back in stock. Frankly, I regretted the purchase right away. I bought first and read reviews later only to find that the new balls were not made by the same company or in the same country as the original balls. Oh well, as always, limited risk with Costco’s return policy.

I purchased some of the original 4-piece Kirkland balls (2-doz for $29.99) back in 2017, still have a dozen sitting on the shelf. They are good balls, good value for the money, but weren't comparable to PRO-V1's IMO.

I golfed with the four layer balls today and found them to be very good balls. My game really isn’t good enough to discern the difference in a ball, so for me they were great. After all, they are now free! I didn’t have any cutting issues or notice any outer layer separation so I’m hoping the issue was limited to just some of the latest supply and that mine came from a good production run. They did feel a little different than the three layer ball, but I didn’t notice any difference in driving distance. They may be a little better for my iron shots but maybe it was just one of my better days. Just happy to have 4 dozen free balls that seem to work well for me. I almost feel bad, taking advantage of Costco. Their return policy was protection enough, but I guess they were protecting their image at this point.

Probably an old one I hadn't seen/don't remember. :blush:

Kinda like if you want to make sure you miss a tree, aim right at it.

Attachments

• Dude Golf.jpg
    Dude Golf.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back in the Saddle Again

Played my first round in 6 months this week; kept away by family issues. I went out with my normal Tuesday group. It was fabulous to be back; was 1 over thru 8, then my real self came back & I finished +13 (85); still very pleased (11 FIR, 5 GIR, 33 putts) and had a great time!

Played my first round in 6 months this week; kept away by family issues. I went out with my normal Tuesday group. It was fabulous to be back; was 1 over thru 8, then my real self came back & I finished +13 (85); still very pleased (11 FIR, 5 GIR, 33 putts) and had a great time!

Sounds like you played very well after a long lay off. I'm usually much rustier when I've been sidelined.

Why is it after a lay-off and you get back on the course with low expectations, you shoot a good round ? I think the game of golf is almost counter intuitive at times, the hard you try, the worse you do.

Why is it after a lay-off and you get back on the course with low expectations, you shoot a good round ? I think the game of golf is almost counter intuitive at times, the hard you try, the worse you do.
I don't know why but it doesn't surprise me. Up north where golf is seasonal, I almost always had a lower HI in Spring than I did in the Fall (maybe 4-5 strokes worse in Fall), year after year. I attributed the decline in my game to too much thinking. In Spring I just hit the ball. In Fall I'd had a couple months to tweak and think more - guess that can be counter productive in my case. :blush: Frankly I think it was mostly putting (and chipping), after reading a putt from side and back, any swing thoughts or tension tend to get in the way. YMMV

Last edited:
Does anyone here take advantage of the "seasonal memberships" at some of the southern courses? I likely can't do it this year, as I'm recovering from a shoulder injury, but I really like the idea of joining a good course for 3 months/year. I only wish we would have seasonal summer memberships up here in the frozen tundra.

Does anyone here take advantage of the "seasonal memberships" at some of the southern courses? I likely can't do it this year, as I'm recovering from a shoulder injury, but I really like the idea of joining a good course for 3 months/year. I only wish we would have seasonal summer memberships up here in the frozen tundra.

One golf course I like to play in the Phoenix area is the Legacy Golf Club, they keep sending me membership information even though I live 200 miles away. Their full golf membership is $5000, seasonal (3 months) is $3500. Haven't researched it but my guess is that is pretty typical for that area, you won't get a big discount for seasonal memberships, especially not during the peak winter months when all the prices head north.

Last edited:
Yeah, the 2 I have looked at are $1650 and $1850/month respectively.

I had an opportunity to buy into a very nice public track here in Minnesota for a one time premium of $15000 a few years ago. I considered it as it included range, cart, and golf for life.

+1. My GPS hangs from my belt (Garmin Approach G10),

Anyone else notice some players who don’t have GPS or rangefinder will ask those of us with them for yardage? ;)

Guilty as charged, that’s why I’m shopping for one. Is the G10 a good selecting for a small non watch type? I suppose I could remove the Fitbit ......but for me I will lose it in the depths of my bag by the third round.

Anyway Im looking for Small non watch recommendations please

As a side note I have a buddy who will occasionally give me the wrong yardage to see if Im paying attention.....nice buddy,huh?

Several months ago I started experiencing problems with my back while using a push cart. I started riding all the time to save my back. I just bought a Caddytrek R2 electric push cart and it arrives today. Hopefully it works as advertised and I can start walking again without fear of hurting my back. Too bad it's raining now.

Nice! I think that it will help you. I bought a BatCaddy earlier in the year and believe that it has helped. I play at a course in the foothills of Boise and there isn't a flat spot to be had.

Nice! I think that it will help you. I bought a BatCaddy earlier in the year and believe that it has helped. I play at a course in the foothills of Boise and there isn't a flat spot to be had.

the driving range is flat, but yes, that's about it

I suppose I could remove the Fitbit ......but for me I will lose it in the depths of my bag by the third round.

Anyway Im looking for Small non watch recommendations please

There are some good alternatives to the Fitbit that will give you both the activity monitoring and golf gps. I use a Garmin Vivoactive 3, has a decent 'free' golf app, keeps score, tracks steps, walking distance and calories burned during your round. I use the golf GPS app on my Garmin to help with layups and to keep score but always use a laser on approaches inside 150. Laser's are close to 100% accurate, I've seen my GPS off by up to 10 yards when compared to my laser, about a 1 club distance for most of us.

Last edited:
Bushnell

i liked my izzo swami

then I had a bunch of shop credit and bought a yardage gun so I don't use it anymore

I had a Swami for many years and it did me proud but when it bit the dust I bought a Bushnell Phantom which gives you distances to hazards along with 3 different pin placements. It is in the same price range as the Swami also.

Anyone see Reed playing in the sand? All he needed was a shovel and a bucket if he thought he was at the beach. Hard to believe he didn't notice that. I don't care what angle the camera had. He moved a lot of sand - twice.

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/12/06/patrick-reed-camera-angle-waste-area-penalty/

He has had a reputation as a cheater since back when he played in college, this incident isn't going to help. When I watch the video it certainly looks intentional, he had a terrible lie and tried to make it better, hard to imagine he wasn't aware of it at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom