Amazon Prime movie suggestions

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
Not meaning to take away from the venerable Netflix thread with a similar title, I happen to be a subscriber to Amazon Prime (not Netflix, although I've heard nothing but positives about that service). I climbed on board with Prime after reading yet another "heads-up" post on e-r.org last year about a one-day deal on Prime for $72/year. I'm due to renew at the standard rate (I think $99/year) shortly and will keep it as I think it's worth it. I had very little interest when it was only an expedited delivery thing, but now I'm a steady consumer of movies and music (Beatles!). So I'm starting a parallel thread (but not a "less filling, tastes great" comparison) for Prime ideas.

Anyway, I'm currently watching a series of Ken Burns-associated documentaries, some of which I've seen and liked already, but some I've never seen. I'm now nearing the end of The West, which is billed as Burns but directed by Stephen Ives in a similar style. Being mainly an east-of-the-Mississippi kind of guy, there's a lot to learn for me and it's very enjoyable. The kind of thing you look forward to the next installment.

My wife signed up for Amazon Prime about a year ago and frankly I didn't pay much attention to what it offered. My back went out a few days ago so I was motivated to see what's available in Prime. A few good movies I've watched are : Ex Machina, Everybody's Fine, Something's gotta Give. I also discovered the Prime music app which I'm starting to like a lot.

I fell in love with the series Justified on Amazon Prime.

I'll pass the info about the music on to DH who has the not-tin ear in our house.

We have both AP and Netflix and enjoy them both.

I would recommend Red Oaks, an Amazon original series. Set it a country club in 1985 with a good story line. Lots of free series to stream, so give them all a try, and abandon the ones you don't like.

I've been using Prime to watch old PBS Nature programs.

ex machina is good

+1. Watched that even before the movie went to Prime. I won't give any spoilers, but the movie kept my interest from start to end.

mockingjay part 1 is also on prime - I fell asleep three times trying to watch it tho

T, thanks for that cool link! Will definitely consult when we run out of ideas.

As for Amazon, we absolutely adored Deadwood, probably my favorite show ever!
Also the new Man in the High Castle was good, if a bit slow in places.
One show that I found to be very good but quirky was John from Cincinnati. Made by the same director as Deadwood. It took me a couple of times to really get into it. I think it is on Amazon prime, but I may have gotten it from the library on dvd.

I like prime music a lot. I pop headphones on, tuck my phone in my pocket - and dance the neighborhood when I walk the dog. (Ok dance might be an exaggeration - but my head is bopping more than a frumpy middle aged woman in tennis shoes should be.)

I enjoyed the Bosch series a lot.

I have prime (mainly for shipping) - but I enjoy the movies. I resigned up for netflix last spring and haven't dropped it yet.

Suits is a good one for binge watching on Prime. I cannot wait for the next (mid) season to begin.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I like prime music a lot. I pop headphones on, tuck my phone in my pocket - and dance the neighborhood when I walk the dog.

Me too! And if I have data to spare I'll even turn on Amazon Video and watch a show on a long walk.

I tend to watch the TV series on Prime. No particular reason why, I just do. I just started Justified and The White Queen. I went thru all of The Tudors, several seasons of Doctor Who, and I'm current on Downton Abbey. I also love that they've added HBO series. I recommend The Newsroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Binged watched all seasons of Justified last winter. Great entertainment! It was sad to see the show come to an end with season 6, which, BTW, is the only season not available via Prime.

Got totally caught up in History Channel's Vikings. Season 1 kept my interest but was not near as good as Season 2 and Season 3.

+1 for Deadwood - gotta love the evil character Al Swearengen. Also enjoyed Justified, but mostly for the bad guys, both awesomely stupid and wildly cunning.

The Wire was excellent. Treme is good too as well as The Newsroom.

OOo Oo! ditto Treme and The Wire. Then follow a drug kingpin over to England where (the actor) becomes a detective in Luther. Troubled good guys and anti-heroes make for good tv.

Interstellar was recently added. Just OK, but one of the big budget movie available now. Orphan Black was one of the TV shows I need to finish off.

orphan black I really good, had to watch last seaon at amc on demand it wasn't available then on prime, maybe it I now

If you haven't seen it, Six Feet Under is really great. It has the best finale I've ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

And if you have a 4K (UHD) TV, go all the way down toward the bottom of the Amazon Prime listings for the Ultra High Definition stuff -- both TV and Movies. Of course, if have Roku 4, Youtube 4K stuff is also available which is also "free.". (Oh! I guess that would be true of any UHD Smart TV.)

I finished The West last week, great series. Still Burns-ing it, I notice Instant Video offers American Lives, a collection of films about various Americans you probably (or not) know.

I recall posting about it a few years ago, maybe a "What have you watched..." kind of thread, but the collection is worth a mention here.

I'd seen it from a DVD box set, but missed the one about Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony. Too bad, as I had a lot to learn about the suffragette movement.

Last edited:
Homeland season 5.

I noticed prime had a deal - 1 week free of Showtime. We can easily watch the 10 episodes in 1 week, because we're retired. Signed up this afternoon - already on episode 3.

Much more convenient than waiting for the DVD from the library. (Which only gives me a week, also.)

Back
Top Bottom