Amazon Prime movie suggestions

I saw Amazon offers a Starz subscription. There are a few shows of interest.

Just got an email promoting this "Amazon Original" series. Thought the description was amusing, though I'm not sure I'll watch -- too much stuff in queue:

Get ready for a trip you won't forget with Mad Dogs, an Amazon Original Series. When a group of underachieving 40-something friends reunite in Belize to celebrate the early retirement of an old friend, their tropical vacation turns into a labyrinthine nightmare of dark secrets, deception, and murder. Starring Ben Chaplin (The Thin Red Line), Michael Imperioli (The Sopranos), Billy Zane (Twin Peaks), Steve Zahn (Dallas Buyers Club) and Romany Malco (Weeds).

Oh wow, thanks--that hits a few of my household's trigger words--we will check it out. Belize, Early retirement, 40s. :)

I'm part way through the series Fortitude, murder mystery set on a small town on an island in the far north of Norway although the scenes in the town itself are made in Iceland. Excellent cast includes Michael Gambon, Stanley Tucci, Jessica Raine and Christopher Ecclestone.

Perched on the edge of the Arctic Circle, Fortitude is one of the safest towns on earth. There has never been a violent crime here. Until now.

I'm part way through the series Fortitude, murder mystery set on a small town on an island in the far north of Norway although the scenes in the town itself are made in Iceland. Excellent cast includes Michael Gambon, Stanley Tucci, Jessica Raine and Christopher Ecclestone.

I really like Tucci, and the premise sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the heads-up!

Alan! We watched the first episode last night...awkward nudity and couldn't really catch on to the plot. For a place as cold as that is, they sure spend a lot of time naked!
Does it get better?

What is awkward about nudity? :D

What I found awkward was all of the cursing in Deadwood. That doesn't usually bother me, but I just though it was excessive to an extreme that distracted me.

Lol--you obvs don't watch movies sandwiched between your husband and your (male) roommate!
And funny, the cursing in Deadwood didn't bother me at all.

Wait, male nudity and swearing? I'm in. Just kidding.

I've never seen Deadwood but I have heard about the level of swearing in it. I wonder if the language is accurate for the period. I guess I should watch an episode.

Last edited:
Lol--you obvs don't watch movies sandwiched between your husband and your (male) roommate!
Am I that obvious? :)

Don't get the two mixed up, Feever! Deadwood is swearing, and Fortitude is male nudity!
That's good, because you probably would be disappointed with Deadwood and male nudity.
I wonder if the language is accurate for the period. I guess I should watch an episode.

This is what bothers me. Not the obscenities, which I, ehem, use on occasion. More the appropriateness and frequency of of the terms to the period. It's a distraction.

Last edited:
Just got an email promoting this "Amazon Original" series. Thought the description was amusing, though I'm not sure I'll watch -- too much stuff in queue:

I watched the "Mad Dogs" pilot when it first came out and enjoyed it, one of those "things start off well" that changes into into "what can go wrong next" dark comedy/drama shows. It was part of a "contest" on Amazon Prime where they had you vote on several pilots to see which ones would be made into a series. Looks like this was one of the winners.

Last edited:
I've started the HBO series, "Treme", and enjoy it. Killer music. It's by the folks who did "The Wire" and is set in post-Katrina NO.

Alan! We watched the first episode last night...awkward nudity and couldn't really catch on to the plot. For a place as cold as that is, they sure spend a lot of time naked!
Does it get better?

"awkward nudity"? You southern girls crack me up :LOL: (particularly since you don't even mention the graphic violence scenes including a man being eaten alive by a polar bear)

If by "Does it get better?" you mean more nudity then I honestly don't recall, but if you like the violence then there is more graphic violence and the plot develops very well indeed. Your geography won't be up to it but I thought it was very surprising that within 12 hours of the murder that the detective from London (Stanley Tucci) had arrived at that very remote northern island, along with written clearance from the authorities in Oslo. There turns out to be a reason for that....

Lol! Yes, this is why we watch a lot of documentaries--violence ok, awkward nakedness not so much!

I'll give it some more time, then, and see if it catches. DH loved Lillehammer, so I thought this might be right up his alley.

And yes Feever, I wouldn't have minded seeing the sheriff in his undershorts! We mostly loved the random ramblings of EB Farnham, the hotelier in Deadwood. Hilarious!

In a different thread recently, I mentioned the legendary movie actress Marlene Dietrich. I wasn't especially familiar with her so checked out what might be available on Amazon Instant Video and came across a documentary by Maximilian Schell, who I was familiar with through his excellent performance in Judgment at Nuremburg.

This documentary, Marlene, is a (sort of) interview with Dietrich. I say "sort of" because she clearly was not intending to be interviewed in the usual way, and it's more a discussion and a retrospective on her career. Once I "got" that and settled into it, it turned out to give great insight into the personality and perspective of a very strong woman with an interesting life and career.

Here's a YouTube clip from it, not too long:

Maybe a little off-topic, but this is a pretty good site.
If you remember or know the name of a film or TV show, you can do a search here:

Can I Stream.It?: Search Netflix, Hulu, Google Play, iTunes, and more, for movies to stream instantly, rent, and buy.

And it will tell how or where you can watch it, and whether or not it's free.
Covers almost all of the major sources...
Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Crackle, Snagfilms, YouTube and many more, as well a showing availability for DVD's, BluRay as well as prices where necessary.
Searches separate for Movies and TV.

Also, it it's scheduled for TV, the details will be shown. I think it may be crowd sourced, so there may be gaps, but so far, everything I've searched for has been found.

Last edited:
Maybe a little off-topic, but this is a pretty good site.
If you remember or know the name of a film or TV show, you can do a search here:

Can I Stream.It?: Search Netflix, Hulu, Google Play, iTunes, and more, for movies to stream instantly, rent, and buy.

And it will tell how or where you can watch it, and whether or not it's free.
Covers almost all of the major sources...
Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Crackle, Snagfilms, YouTube and many more, as well a showing availability for DVD's, BluRay as well as prices where necessary.
Searches separate for Movies and TV.

Also, it it's scheduled for TV, the details will be shown. I think it may be crowd sourced, so there may be gaps, but so far, everything I've searched for has been found.

Cool. And one can set up notifications for when something becomes available. Thanks!

About ten years ago, I was visiting Quincy, IL. That's a river town across the river from Hannibal, MO that has some good period architecture.

We went to a local used bookstore (wish there were more of those!) and I came away with two books: one by John Kenneth Galbraith, the economist. After reading it, I gave it away and I don't remember the name for sure but I'm guessing it was The Age of Uncertainty. The other book I also gave away after reading, but it was about Sam Giancana, the Chicago gangster. I think it was written by a member of his family. You might say those two books presented very different world views!

After subscribing to Amazon Prime, I scanned Prime movies and stuffed my watchlist (which I think, by now, will outlast me). I found that I'd added a movie called Momo: The Sam Giancana Story, a documentary in which his daughters participated. I'm not too sure how factual it is, but it's definitely interesting if you like that sort of subject.

I think what hooked me when I started viewing is that there are a few shots of a restaurant called Rosebud, which is on Taylor Street (""Little Italy") and going strong. I've eaten there and had an excellent meal and service along with a good view while eating outdoors of the Chicago skyline to the north. As I recall, it's not far from the Maxwell Street area, maybe best known for music.

Do I dare mention The Good Wife. ?
I don't know if the Chicago politics is on target or not.

Has anyone watched Bosch? I liked all the books, wondering if the series is OK.

We watched last season's show all at once -- 3-4 episodes per night. We both liked it and are looking forward to this season. (is that next week?)

Has anyone watched Bosch? I liked all the books, wondering if the series is OK.
We watched season 1 and liked it. The main actor is the bad guy in the Good Wife.

In one scene Bosch is teased about a flip phone he uses, by his teen daughter (as I remember it). That was my signal to get more modern myself. :facepalm: I haven't regretted getting a smart phone.

Is there another season beyond season 1?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom