Texting Etiquette?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As even many in our generation have taken to using texting as a primary means of communication (vs phone or email), I am finding there's some etiquette involved.
  • The latest "biggie" is some people like to talk, and others get irritated if a text thread goes beyond a few simple exchanges. I have a few friends who get very irritated and say "TAKE ME OFF THIS THREAD" which can't be done without starting another thread that I know of.
  • Some people get irritated if the other party doesn't respond quickly, or at all. I've read the norm is within 90 seconds, or if you're busy within 20 minutes for young folks - I can't meet that one...
  • Some people get irritated if a thread on one subject goes from one subject to another totally unrelated topic. I guess they expect each thread to be confined to one subject, even if the contacts are the same.
  • Some people expect a simple acknowledge, some people don't. e.g. Meet for lunch? If another party doesn't reply does that mean "no" or they never saw it?
  • Especially with our generation, some people know the text acronyms, some people have to ask every time - what is FWIW?
  • Some people think if a text is more than a sentence or two, it's TOO LONG.
I don't know that there are firm rules, it's just one more thing I have to learn etiquette for, and I find preferences among my friends is highly varied... :blush:

Last edited:
Think of group texts in the same way you viewed "reply all" to emails in the office. Somebody is not going to be happy, so keep the group stuff to a minimum IMO. My rather largish family will use them from time to time for very specific news, but they fall off and should fall off rather quickly.
Don't take the short path and resurrect an old group text for that reason too. Take the time to make a new one and include only those who are interested in the subject. I archive old group texts so they are not in front of me.

Think of group texts in the same way you viewed "reply all" to emails in the office. Somebody is not going to be happy, so keep the group stuff to a minimum IMO. My rather largish family will use them from time to time for very specific news, but they fall off and should fall off rather quickly.
Don't take the short path and resurrect an old group text for that reason too. Take the time to make a new one and include only those who are interested in the subject. I archive old group texts so they are not in front of me.
Good comparison, we all remember a few "reply all" email debacles from the corporate world.

And I agree it's probably a good idea to start a new thread for a subject change even if it's (almost) the same group. I'm slow to learn..

I'm on one group text of about 10 friends and acquaintances. It is good for coordinating meeting up and inside jokes. It could get annoying but I have it muted; I only look when I want to or if seeing if anyone is heading out to the local hang out. People know that if it's anything important to message me directly as if I have 100 unread (not uncommon if there is a lot of banter) I don't go back and read it.

[*]The latest "biggie" is some people like to talk, and others get irritated if a text thread goes beyond a few simple exchanges. I have a few friends who get very irritated and say "TAKE ME OFF THIS THREAD" which can't be done without starting another thread that I know of...

This is one way in which texting is superior to email. Instead of begging someone else to remove them, people can actually bow out on their own. On an Android phone, there's an option to mute a group chat. iPhone, Facebook Messenger, Google Chat all have "leave" options.

The only one of your topics that I would consider a hard rule is, make sure you respond to someone so they know you got the text. As a working person I may not have access to my phone all day so "90 seconds" or "20 minutes" isn't possible for some people but they should respond when they can.

That's my opinion FWIW(for what it's worth).

I'd also add naked forwards.

I have a sister that does that often. Would be similar to if someone just put quotes here on a post but don't give any preface who or where the quote is from.

As even many in our generation have taken to using texting as a primary means of communication (vs phone or email), I am finding there's some etiquette involved.

The latest "biggie" is some people like to talk, and others get irritated if a text thread goes beyond a few simple exchanges. I have a few friends who get very irritated and say "TAKE ME OFF THIS THREAD" which can't be done without starting another thread that I know of.

Easy fix. As Cathy63 pointed out, mute the thread. You no longer get pinged when someone responds but you can always read the texts later. Or, archive the thread.

Some people get irritated if the other party doesn't respond quickly, or at all. I've read the norm is within 90 seconds, or if you're busy within 20 minutes for young folks - I can't meet that one...

I would say 30 minutes would be acceptable. Sometimes you can't answer right away. I would say being unresponsive beyond 30 minutes means you haven't looked at your phone lately or you just don't care to respond.

When receiving a text while driving, if my phone is not connected to Android Auto in my vehicle, my truck has the option of sending out canned responses, like "I can't talk right now, I'm driving." I suppose there are canned responses that can be switched on your text messaging app on your phone if you are busy at work. I think it is proper etiquette to respond one way or another. If you don't, you appear to be clueless. I have a very close friend that seemingly ignores my texts so I basically quit trying. It's kind of sad, really.

Some people get irritated if a thread on one subject goes from one subject to another totally unrelated topic.

Sounds like 90% of the threads on E-R! :)

Some people expect a simple acknowledge, some people don't. e.g. Meet for lunch? If another party doesn't reply does that mean "no" or they never saw it?

I think if a question is asked in a text a simple acknowledge is required. Even if it's 30, 60, 90 minutes later. If you text someone a joke or a link to something you know would interest the person, response not needed so much.

Especially with our generation, some people know the text acronyms, some people have to ask every time - what is FWIW?

Easy: "Hey Google (Siri), "What is the text acronym FWIW?"

Some people think if a text is more than a sentence or two, it's TOO LONG.

These people would be wrong. But, sure if it's more than 3 sentences, probably too long.

One thing I've discovered that has made my life a lot easier is having the ability to read/write texts on my computer. It's easy with Google Messages text app. I'm sure there is an equivalent for Apple. You merely have to have your phone and PC on the same WiFi network. Messages show up on your PC monitor and you can type responses using your PC keyboard. This makes it really easy to type and send messages, especially L-O-N-G responses, LOL. Also makes copying and pasting images or links a breeze. And no more digging into your pocket (or purse) and pulling your ball and chain out to see who texted you.

Last edited:
Good comparison, we all remember a few "reply all" email debacles from the corporate world.

Favorite one was a worthless announcement on a user board. it went to everyone. Several hundred members! after the 4th or 5th reply to all (mostly on topic), someone, again REPLY ALL, said get me off this list. Then there were about 50 ME TOO responses which lead to about 25-30 I SAID REMOVE ME. That lead to another round of ME TOO. in the end, my phone was dinging for nearly an hour as all of the responses were posting to my phone! And there were 3 others in the office on the same list, so there was a lot of dinging!

Midpack,
My brother gets irritated with our sisters, because they will never answer their phones, but will text immediately. I just text them, no big deal.

Never getting a reply is obviously a little rude, but people also get busy or just forget to text back. I get it.

I personally don't like the "emoji only" replies when I'm trying to communicate/discuss something. Possibly an indication of my texting communication skills, but I see it as a conscious effort at a non-reply. They didn't forget to reply back, they basically don't want to spend more than a moment answering your text, so worse than a non-reply.

Take care, JP

This is one way in which texting is superior to email. Instead of begging someone else to remove them, people can actually bow out on their own. On an Android phone, there's an option to mute a group chat. iPhone, Facebook Messenger, Google Chat all have "leave" options.
+1. Agreed, and I will start pointing this out to those who get irritated. As you might imagine, some of my peers are proud to be willfully ignorant when it comes to tech - they have to be shown almost every “new trick.” The latest episode one guy really lashed out at everyone for a couple days when he could have just muted the conversation. :wiseone:

Never getting a reply is obviously a little rude, but people also get busy or just forget to text back. I get it.
If I see a text I respond almost immediately. But if I’m playing golf, boating, or out on a “date” with DW I may have my phone silenced - so a universal time limit like 20-30 minutes seems unreasonable to me. I do have my phone set up to send a canned response when I’m driving or sleeping (10pm go 6am) and that’s helpful.

OTOH ghosting, just never answering is rude IMO. Some people do it routinely.

Last edited:
I’m retired, so I don’t much care if I don’t get to a text quickly. When I was working and using a work provided phone, I’d respond quickly to texts.

As for long texts, if I find myself in a conversation through text, I will usually just ask someone if they can talk. Much easier.

For setting up a breakfast, lunch, golf date - love texting. Do it far enough in advance and it doesn’t matter if the other old curmudgeons like me take awhile to respond.

Fun history. When we moved to S Africa in 2004, we received our texting education. Voice calls were very expensive there and texting was cheap or free. Since we never text here in 2004 given cost per text, we had to have our RSA friends teach us quickly. We were so confused.

We also needed to learn that when receiving a dialed call where the caller would hang up before the phone was answered meant text back so it would be a free texting conversation.

Finally being in locked phone America, we had no idea what a SIM card was used for or how to install it. Another education lesson was required. RSA jumped from few hardline phones to cell phones. There were more cell phones there than here. And their knowledge about using them was way ahead of ours.

Slight tangent, but my favorite work email mess up was when someone sent an email selling a canoe to several thousand employees by picking the wrong distribution list. And then, of course, people replying all . . . .

Slight tangent, but my favorite work email mess up was when someone sent an email selling a canoe to several thousand employees by picking the wrong distribution list. And then, of course, people replying all . . . .

Every Mega has them every year or so. It's known as a ReplyAllColypse. They are actually quite funny. I love the people who start doing ALL CAPS urgent requests to come off, and then those that actually try to help (but only create another 10k emails in doing so).

Every Mega has them every year or so. It's known as a ReplyAllColypse. They are actually quite funny. I love the people who start doing ALL CAPS urgent requests to come off, and then those that actually try to help (but only create another 10k emails in doing so).
Yep. We had a guy do an inappropriate reply all to a company wide (700 peeps) email, presumably he didn't notice it was company wide. Where he was widely considered a dweeb, his reply all email removed all doubt... :LOL: :facepalm:

I keep my phone on silent mode permanently. I glance at it when I glance at it, sometimes frequently sometimes infrequently. It might be an hour or two before I observe a text. I get back to them when I get back to them. Anybody who texts me gets used to it.

A feature I really like in my car is that when a text comes in, it (the car head unit) asks me if I want it read to me. If I respond verbally "Yes", it reads me the text and asks if I want to reply. If I say "yes", I can speak the reply and it sends it. Very cool! :cool:

If I say "No", the phone is hung up.

A feature I really like in my car is that when a text comes in, it (the car head unit) asks me if I want it read to me. If I respond verbally "Yes", it reads me the text and asks if I want to reply. If I say "yes", I can speak the reply and it sends it. Very cool! :cool:

If I say "No", the phone is hung up.
My car does that as well, and it was very handy. I've since gone to do not disturb while driving so I can't see or reply to texts at all anymore, not even at stoplights (evidently Apple Focus function waits a while to turn off do not disturb). Probably the best safe option for me. YMMV

Time limits? Irritated? Yeah...I don't think so. If you text me, I will get back at MY convenience...not YOURS (well, not OP...obviously). As I have told most people who think they might text me looking for immediate help...that is what 911 is for. ;)

Thankfully, I don't deal with group texts too often so that's not an issue.

I commonly don't have my phone on me or near by. It's on DND from 9pm until 9am except for contacts. If I am going somewhere with my DW, I don't even bring my phone.

My peeve is that some people wait to reply to texts in the middle of the night.

My DW has a large family and she and her siblings have an on-going group text thread. She likes it because it is an easy way to keep up with the goings on amongst her family.

But, for reasons unknown to me, some of her siblings will decide to catch up on the thread at 2-3:00am, then start replying to the numerous posts from that day. To put it mildly, I really dislike being woken up by her phone chirping in the middle of the night. :mad: To preserve marital harmony, I put her phone on mute before going to bed.

Last edited:
Here is my 2 cents worth.

Text messages, if your point can be made in two words don't use three.
Group texts, when a meeting is not necessary. (I've sat in too many meetings that an email would have sufficed).
Email, for more than 2 sentences.
Phone call, if there is going to be any anticipated back and forth, if you need to know the tone of what someone is saying. or if a timely response is required!

I know as I have gotten older I'm not as tolerant as I once was. I don't need a three paragraph "no"!

Anybody who texts me gets used to it.
I think this is key to people's expectations. If you tend to reply immediately, people come to expect an immediate reply; if you reply later, the next day, or not at all, people come to expect that too.

DS#3 is definitely in the latter category. If he replies to a text, it's usually not for a day or two; frequently, he never replies.

Over Christmas, we had a family text thread going discussing favorite Christmas carols. DS#3 suddenly chimed in with his picks. I could not resist responding "Who is this and what are you doing with DS#3's phone!?" :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom