Video Game Consoles

tryan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW and I are giving in the boys request for a video game system. Santa will be delivering something on Christmas.

Never having played, I am researching the various systems. Ferget about the PlayStation 3 (Amazon has ONE for $3500!). We're looking at something like a new Playstation 2 or maybe even a Game Cube (both new and plentyfull for less than $200). My kids are 6 and 8 so if we get 2 or 3 years out of it that's fine.

Sooo, what do you all like?

Depends on what kind of games you want your kids playing?

I'd say that either a game cube or a PS2 would suit them well. The PS2 will have many more games available than the game cube.

i like my atari .... pong and tanks is about all i can master

I think the "thing" among my trigger-happy 20-something engineering-nerd coworkers is the PS2. Tons of games, free online access so you can "pwn n00bs" (just google it!) around the world, great graphics and gameplay.

The PS2 games are also generally playable on the PS3 console if you ever upgrade in a few years.

I've been itching for a new system too, and the PS2 is what I would get if I wanted to drop $100 on a video game system.

Its too bad the kiddies cant wait until a bit after Christmas. That's not sarcasm, i know for kids that's about impossible. But my point is the Nintendo Wii is supposed to be so great, especially for the younger ones, and supposedly they're going to be up to full production where supply should meet demand within 2 months. It has some interactive features that are great, and only retails for $250.

I'm assuming (without checking) that they sold out on day one of their release.

mathjak107 said:
i like my atari .... pong and tanks is about all i can master

You have one that still works? I had an atari long ago - atari 2600 was the bomb.

I've heard the Wii's are a lot easier to get now. You shouldn't have a problem getting one before christmas. I think the Wii is more kid-oriented than the PS2/3's.

Thanx for the feed-back ... need to add Wii to the search.

Nobody's plugging MS Xbox 360? Heard there are online fees ... but not sure.

tryan said:
Nobody's plugging MS Xbox 360? Heard there are online fees ... but not sure.

Yes, with Xbox 360 you have to pay to play online. I think PS2 has free play online, but I'm not sure, and there may be an accessory to buy.

The generations are like this: Xbox, PS2 and GameCube are same tier. Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii are same tier. (roughly speaking) From reviews, Nintendo (GameCube, Wii) lags in neato whizbang high-end graphics but has the popular Mario and Zelda franchises and is usually the cheapest option. Sony Playstation 2 has the biggest selection of game titles (or so I've heard). Microsoft (Xboxes) are the new kids in town and are spending megatons of money to try to break into and take over the market; they have the ever-popular Halo and Halo 2 and try to nickel-and-dime you with addons and online services.

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking a PS2 or a GameCube would be pretty good cost/benefit sinks. The GameCube is newer and probably slightly higher tech, but the PS2 has tons and tons of games and accessories.

Oh, and check out the used game stores. The games play just as well used, and you can find all the info you'd want from a game manual online at the gaming sites.

Wii is $650 ... YIKES.

Looking more like Playstation 2 since they can "grow into" some of the variety of games. Also assuming this stuff hooks up to the TV (too) ... DW won't want to tie up the computer.

Countless Playstation 2 "bundles" for under $200.

The Wii is supposed to retail at ~$250 and you should be able to find it for that before christmas.

In addition, your kids may really enjoy the Wii controllers. Revolutionary although I am surprised Sony or MS didn't do it first.

Target is getting weekly shipments between now and Christmas. One place I stopped at said that most stores were probably hold any they get until the day after Thanksgiving.

If you want to try one, and there are any GameStop stores in your area, stop by one. Most of them have a display console you can try out.

tryan said:
My kids are 6 and 8 so if we get 2 or 3 years out of it that's fine.
What about giving them a coupon on Christmas morning that lists your top two or three choices, letting them sort through the advertising performance issues, and then buying it when you have their buy-in?

That way they get to choose (not complain), they can negotiate with each other over what's best for their interests & temperaments, and you get to take advantage of the after Christmas sales.

I'd get a wii.

- in the latest generation, in fact for dates it's the very newest/latest console

- definitely more kids oriented titles plus you can pay to download classic nintendo titles for as low as $10 (tetris anyone?)

- comes with a sports game so they can get playing xmas morning without you having to guess what games they might want to buy

We have PSII and Gamecube. PSII also functions as a dvd player which is handy. PSII has lots of games but Gamecube has the ones we play as a family--MarioParty 1 through 7, MarioKart, and MarioGolf.

Why don't you ask the kids discretely what kind of games they like? Then buy the console that goes with it. I agree about buying a used system. You can buy used games, too. You could get BOTH game systems plus a bunch of really fun games for the price of one Wii.

My daughter (12) says these are her favorite Playstation games:
Darkcloud II
Sims 2
Radiata Stories
Crash Bandicoot
Tak
Any of the Final Fantasy series (she says they are ok for littler kids too)

Gamecube:
MarioParty (any!)
Sims
Harvest Moon (any!)
Animal Crossing
SuperMario Sunshine

(Edited to take out the extra Kart)

Back
Top Bottom