Baseball 2016

Yep! They are fun to watch. At least if they're your team.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Cubbies have long been my second favorite team, now they are my most favorite for the remainder of the year.

Mulligan, too bad lightning didn't strike twice (or thrice I guess).

Yes, KC, they just couldnt keep that hot streak going. If my betting ticket was a bit softer, I would be cutting my losses and getting some utility out of the ticket and turning it into toilet tissue...The dream is over!

Marners, here.

It is fascinating how they can be white hot one day and dead, dead, dead the next.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Sad and shocking news in the baseball world. Just got home from buy groceries then when get I got online read the tragic news about Marlins ace Jose Fernandez killed in a boating accident. He was one of the up and coming pitching phenoms of the game.

Miami Marlins pitcher José Fernández, one of baseball's brightest stars, was killed early Sunday in a boating accident, Florida authorities said. Fernández, who was 24, and two other men were found dead after their 32-foot boat was discovered crashed at the entrance of Miami Harbor, said Fish and Wildlife Commission public information officer Lorenzo Veloz.
Veloz said the death of Fernández was a loss to Miami, to baseball and to anyone who had ever met him.
"He was pillar to our community, he was involved in everything that he could be to give back," Veloz said. "I had the experience of talking to him several times, down-to-earth, great person ... I'm sorry I'm getting goosebumps right now, it's really hitting home and it's horrible."
Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez dies unexpectedly - CNN.com

Last edited:
Forget Who's on First. Who's on What Channel?

I assumed (of course, you know what happens when one assumes) that since I subscribed to Sling TV to follow the NL Playoffs on FS1, that I could watch the Mets/Giants wildcard game tonight. But find out, the game is on ESPN (which I didn't subscribe to). To add to the confusion, I don't even know if the Cubs' game #2 on Saturday is on FS1 or not. The game is definitely on MLBN, but from what I read, games are also on FS1, but I'm not sure and won't bet on that.

If all this channel dancing around is confusing, looks like I'm not alone with that feeling :facepalm::

While he’s trying to speed up the game, maybe commissioner Rob Manfred can figure out a better way for fans to find which network is airing a playoff game on any given night.
Already, with the wild card knockout round less than a week away, the smell of confusion is polluting the airwaves. That’s what happens when five TV outlets (Fox, FS1, TBS, ESPN, MLBN) all have a piece of the action.
It’s far from a reach to suggest MLB is the only major professional sports enterprise where people don’t know where to go to find postseason games.
The biggest problem with watching the MLB playoffs - NY Daily News

Looking more and more like the same old Cubs :facepalm:.

I'm not much of a baseball fan (it's "usually" difficult to get excited with the two Texas teams) but the possibility of the Cubs going to the WS is hard for me to resist. It's the first time I've been interested in the baseball playoffs in a long time. I just hope the Blue Jays don't make it to the WS. They seem to be the worst at throwing trash on the field when things don't go their way at home.

Last edited:
I'm not much of a baseball fan (it's "usually" difficult to get excited with the two Texas teams) but the possibility of the Cubs going to the WS is hard for me to resist. It's the first time I've been interested in the baseball playoffs in a long time. I just hope the Blue Jays don't make it to the WS. They seem to be the worst at throwing trash on the field when things don't go their way at home.

Do or die for the Cubs tonight. A win and back to WS talk. A loss and backs are really against the wall and more head scratching as to what went wrong.

We'll see if the Indians grant your wish.

Meanwhile, let's remember there is a lot of incivility to go around..

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 16
Fixed a bunch of broken quotes, so there's no need to quibble. I've always been impressed by the show of good sportsmanship we find here on E-R Forum. :)

Cubs vs Dodgers. Funny how things change in 24 hrs. A night ago, the Cubbies had their backs to the wall. After winning last night and stealing back home field, the pressure is on the Dodgers. I have a feeling the series is just "getting started" :) ...best out of 3 sounds a lot better than must win 3 in a row.

Did you see that play at the plate? I think the throw had the runner beat, but the runner did sneak his fingertips on the plate (but not conclusively) before being tagged. So, the umps not changing the call of out was correct. IMO, In football terms, the call on the field should stand.

Attachments

• play at the plate.jpg
    play at the plate.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Cubs vs Dodgers. Funny how things change in 24 hrs. A night ago, the Cubbies had their backs to the wall. After winning last night and stealing back home field, the pressure is on the Dodgers. I have a feeling the series is just "getting started" :) ...best out of 3 sounds a lot better than must win 3 in a row.

Did you see that play at the plate? I think the throw had the runner beat, but the runner did sneak his fingertips on the plate (but not conclusively) before being tagged. So, the umps not changing the call of out was correct. IMO, In football terms, the call on the field should stand.

totally agree. From every angle I saw, when Gonzalez' hand is just off the plate, you can't definitively see that the catcher's glove isn't contacting the runner somewhere. Maybe on the heel of the glove, on the arm of the runner? A lot of people are focusing on when the mitt hit the runner forcibly on the chin/chest, but you can't see for sure that contact was not made earlier. Ump was in perfect position.
I don't think they could overturn what he called.

totally agree. From every angle I saw, when Gonzalez' hand is just off the plate, you can't definitively see that the catcher's glove isn't contacting the runner somewhere. Maybe on the heel of the glove, on the arm of the runner? A lot of people are focusing on when the mitt hit the runner forcibly on the chin/chest, but you can't see for sure that contact was not made earlier. Ump was in perfect position.
I don't think they could overturn what he called.

+1.

That's one of the calls, had the runner been called safe, the play should stay as safe also. Too close to overturn.

Last edited:
I'm not a sports fan at all but as someone who lives in North East Ohio it's easy to be a sports fan this year!

I've been watching all the Indians games and making it to the World Series is BIG NEWS around here. My son does free lance work for the Cleveland TV sports channel that covers the Indians (pre-game or post game shows) and his friend is a cameraman at the ball park.

I even watched basketball this year (Cleveland Cavaliers) which is rare for me.

I'd much rather watch sports right now than news.

I'm not a sports fan at all but as someone who lives in North East Ohio it's easy to be a sports fan this year!

I've been watching all the Indians games and making it to the World Series is BIG NEWS around here. My son does free lance work for the Cleveland TV sports channel that covers the Indians (pre-game or post game shows) and his friend is a cameraman at the ball park.

I even watched basketball this year (Cleveland Cavaliers) which is rare for me.

I'd much rather watch sports right now than news.

Oh yeah.

Regardless of your allegiance, I wouldn't want to take my family to a game in that ballpark due to so many rowdies

It would be like going to a football game in The City of Brotherly Love.

It would be like going to a football game in The City of Brotherly Love.

Youse better believe it. The Iggles fans are proud of that reputation.

Since my Phillies are all home and relaxing, I have adopted the Cubs for this post season. DD moved to Chicago this summer so there's a bit of a connection. In fact, we were visiting this week and had dinner at a bar in Wrigleyville on Tuesday. I definitely want to get out there next season to attend a game.

Good start for the Cubbies tonight, they do make it a fun game.

Wisdom begins with wonder.

Back
Top Bottom