Baseball 2016

Was confident they would win after Pete Rose predicted they would lose in the pregame show. That dude has become a caricature of himself.............

Yeah, Rose is a joke as a broadcaster. He's criticized schwarber several times, and last night it was about his lack of 'fielding training' during his rehab after knee surgery in april. That's right after he had two hits and two RBI's in the game. He's unwatchable.

Last edited:
It must kill you to watch any TV broadcast, because "do or die" or "must win" always refers to when losing a game would make it extremely difficult to come back from. Not mathematically impossible. What you are talking about is an elimination game.

Yeah, it's a misuse, but if a team had 3 losses in a 7 game series and an announcer calls it a "do or die" game, they would be sneered at and called Captain Obvious.

What kind of reaction do you have when a football game goes into "sudden death"? ...

I think that sort of hyperbole adds to why I don't really follow sports much. Much ado about nothing in so many cases, such hyperbole, so many cliches - I hate those after-game interviews, where the loser just repeats "they played a better game than us". It just grates on me.

But I can get 'into it' in small doses like these major events. And of course, many other people enjoy the whole thing - to each their own!

It was a good call to start the game an hour early - it was pouring shortly after the game! Weather looks questionable for Chicago - what are the rain plans?

Go Cubbies!

-ERD50

Was confident they would win after Pete Rose predicted they would lose in the pregame show. That dude has become a caricature of himself.............

Maybe Rose had something on the side riding on the result? :).

Last edited:
10% chance of rain Fri/Sat/Sun. Not too cold either. Probably not below 50 in any of the games, which is pretty good for a northern city in the World Series.

Rose really is a caricature but I've found him pretty entertaining. Hard to take serious, but he's been to six World Series, and his team has won three of them, so you'd hope he has something to add.

I think that sort of hyperbole adds to why I don't really follow sports much. Much ado about nothing in so many cases, such hyperbole, so many cliches - I hate those after-game interviews, where the loser just repeats "they played a better game than us". It just grates on me.

But I can get 'into it' in small doses like these major events. And of course, many other people enjoy the whole thing - to each their own!

It was a good call to start the game an hour early - it was pouring shortly after the game! Weather looks questionable for Chicago - what are the rain plans?

Go Cubbies!

-ERD50

Cliches abound in sports. Along with "Do or Die". One is "It's a miracle!". Some are legit like the miracle on ice or or when the Red Sox were down 0-3 in the series and down to their last strike but then ended up beating the Yankees or I guess when Buster Douglass KO'd Tyson. But others are too often used. Almost as much as "Breaking News!" on news broadcasts these days.

Yet, had the Cubs lost game two, I'd say the chance of winning 4 of 5 wouldn't been a tall tall task. Now, just hope they don't "lay an egg" (another common cliche :cool:) and lose at Wrigley.

Last edited:
Rose really is a caricature but I've found him pretty entertaining. Hard to take serious, but he's been to six World Series, and his team has won three of them, so you'd hope he has something to add.

I've been avoiding all the FOX pre-game and been happily putting my syncing device to watch the game on TV and listen to the local broadcast on the radio.

Stubhub still shows tickets for the game 3 are available. $2,200 to $30,000. If you can wait until they go back to Cleveland they show tickets prices as low as $1245. What a deal! Pretty hard to believe anyone would be paying those prices.

Watched news the other day saying Superbowl like prices for each game. I suppose, if you fork out the money and the game is a very memorable one with lots of thrills and action. But if the game ends up a dud of a game (you never know what you'll get), that's a lot of dollars to spend. Might be better off investing in a nice home theater system if you don't have one already. But I suppose, one person's splurge is another person's must do.

Entertaining and very knowledgable about the finer points of the game.

10% chance of rain Fri/Sat/Sun. Not too cold either. Probably not below 50 in any of the games, which is pretty good for a northern city in the World Series.

Supposed to be fairly windy though. Which can hurt/help hitters at Wrigley depending................

Supposed to be fairly windy though. Which can hurt/help hitters at Wrigley depending................

In or out? Hendricks is a groundball pitcher. That's why he's been so good there.

The Cubs could win out. But anything can happen. I believe rotation goes Hendricks/Lackey/Lester.

Terry Francona's strategy is to pitch Kluber as often as he can. Games 1, 4 and 7 if necessary.

Last edited:
35 mph gusts blowing out to left they just said.

Kyle Schwarber nor cleared medically to play other than DH or pinch hit. Probably better anyhow as with the expected wind guts, the last thing needed is having him diving around trying to catch fly balls. He's already made a nice contribution just at DH in games 1 & 2.

Kyle Schwarber nor cleared medically to play other than DH or pinch hit. Probably better anyhow as with the expected wind guts, the last thing needed is having him diving around trying to catch fly balls. He's already made a nice contribution just at DH in games 1 & 2.

He will pinch hit if needed. The discussion is when....early if the opportunity arrives or wait. It's a two player deal though because someone else has to go in to play the position he punch hit for.

Drove by Wrigley Field last night as we went out to dinner. The traffic was already backed up, lots of media trucks already set up and cameramen filming, and hundreds of people walking around at 8 at night. Chicago is enjoying this moment. :)

Drove by Wrigley Field last night as we went out to dinner. The traffic was already backed up, lots of media trucks already set up and cameramen filming, and hundreds of people walking around at 8 at night. Chicago is enjoying this moment. :)

The big question is did you stop by and take a selfie with the Wrigley Field marquee? :)

He will pinch hit if needed. The discussion is when....early if the opportunity arrives or wait. It's a two player deal though because someone else has to go in to play the position he punch hit for.

As a power hitter, he has his share of strikeouts. But I really like his plate coverage. Amazing that his timing wasn't totally off after such a long layoff.

As a power hitter, he has his share of strikeouts. But I really like his plate coverage. Amazing that his timing wasn't totally off after such a long layoff.

All true. He is a natural hitter. His stance is very quite.

Back
Top Bottom