Do You Love Your City?

How Do You Feel About Your City?

• I love my city passionately. There is no place I would rather be.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I am pretty happy here, but if this were a human relationship it would be a tweener.

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • No big deal or strong feelings either way.

Votes: 23 20.0%
  • There are lots of places where I would rather be, but it is not getting to me.

Votes: 23 20.0%
  • I detest being here; I can hardly wait to get a chance to move.

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters
Hong Kong is the city I have been staying in for the past 20 years and I love it. It is not actually just a city - it is called a Special Administrative Zone after China took it back. People talk about the pollution and noise here but it is really not that awful and where I stay is pretty quiet and yet is walking distance to the train station. We do have clear blue skies some days and the weather is very kind in terms of not being too cold or too hot. It has not changed drastically since it was returned to China. It is still very cosmopolitan and super efficient - for instance, you can visit 3 banks (as in getting things done through bank teller) and still have time for lunch during your lunch hour. It has relatively low taxes compared to many countries.

If I could think of better place in the world, I would have already moved there. . .

I voted "There are lots of places where I would rather be, but it is not getting to me."

Philadelphia Pa is fine and we live very comfortably but the reason we continue to live here are family responsibilies.
Other wise hubby and I would have decamped long ago. If it were up to us we would be living overseas.

If it weren't for family, Chicago and specifically Illinois would be gone like a bad dream.

Tweener??

Tweener - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, there are several cities that I am passionate about -- San Francisco, New Orleans, Annapolis/DC, Memphis, Nashville, etc.

But we have never consider anywhere but Denver home.

(I will admit, however, that in the last year or so the SW "Indian Country" has become more and more tempting.)

I like where I am in DC enough that I plan to stay right where I am but love? No. I can visualize other situations I would possibly like more but I am not sure it would ever come to a Studs Terkle level love affair. I envy you that Ha.

No, I don't love my "city" and it's only 60K in population so it's not a city at all but more of a big small town. We moved from a town of 6K when I closed my business, so it's much better than that, but our current town is pretty much just a staging area while the kids finish up HS.

DW and I lived in Austin for four+ years when we were in college (that's where we met) and as a result I do have a special love for Austin. In fact, after our kids have graduated HS in about 6 years we plan to sell the big house and move either to Austin or down to Costa Rica. We may keep a small home base in Austin and just spend half the year in CR or something like that, but we are going to move SOMEWHERE interesting before we get too damn old!

The thing I love best about the city is seeing it in my rear-view mirror. We left the mega city upon retirement five years ago and moved to the country. The nearest town has that small town character of parades around the square, festivals on the square, the old historic courthouse is there, and people sit on the benches and just enjoy the day and greet old and new friends.

There's not a sense of urgency in these rural communities. One of the best things about these areas is the self-sufficiency and resiliency of the people. If something needs to be done, people help. Out here, when someone gives you their word it means something. The young people were brought up with manners and use them - "yes, sir", "yes ma'am" not because they have to; but, because they are taught respect by watching their parents be respectful.

A few years ago a car cut in front of a fully loaded log truck and the driver of the car slammed on her brakes to stop at the stop light. The log truck couldn't stop in time and the driver had a choice to slam into the car (he could see little kids in the back seat) or run off the road into the culvert. He chose the latter. The cab of the truck slammed into the culvert and the logs he was hauling kept right on going until they came to a stop over the cab. All you could see were logs.

Several pickups stopped before the last log quit rolling. The men grabbed their chainsaws and started cutting the logs to free the driver, who thankfully was unhurt. They didn't wait for the sheriff or the fire department or someone to figure out what had to be done.

This is our adopted community and we couldn't be in a better place.

If something needs to be done, people help. Out here, when someone gives you their word it means something. The young people were brought up with manners and use them - "yes, sir", "yes ma'am" not because they have to; but, because they are taught respect by watching their parents be respectful.

A few years ago a car cut in front of a fully loaded log truck and the driver of the car slammed on her brakes to stop at the stop light. The log truck couldn't stop in time and the driver had a choice to slam into the car (he could see little kids in the back seat) or run off the road into the culvert. He chose the latter. The cab of the truck slammed into the culvert and the logs he was hauling kept right on going until they came to a stop over the cab. All you could see were logs.

Several pickups stopped before the last log quit rolling. The men grabbed their chainsaws and started cutting the logs to free the driver, who thankfully was unhurt. They didn't wait for the sheriff or the fire department or someone to figure out what had to be done.

Come on now. People helping others happens just as often in big cities... perhaps more often even. (Well, maybe "grabbed their chainsaws" isn't very common around here.) If nothing else, in a large community, there are simply more highly trained individuals in close proximity to any event.

Born and raised in NYC, so cities seem kind of natural to me. But the older I get, the smaller I want my city to be.

Lived (for more than a year each) in Denver, Colorado Springs, Washington DC, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Monterey, Syracuse, Cincinnati, and Rio de Janeiro. Also lots and LOTS of smaller places.

If I were forced to pick a place to live out the rest of my days, it would probably be either the Pacific Northwest or somewhere in the Mountain time zone, although I'm also rather fond of Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine.

Definitely no farther south than where I am now (near Cincinnati).

As to the PNW, I like Portland and Seattle very much, but hate the traffic.

...A few years ago a car cut in front of a fully loaded log truck and the driver of the car slammed on her brakes to stop at the stop light. The log truck couldn't stop in time and the driver had a choice to slam into the car (he could see little kids in the back seat) or run off the road into the culvert. He chose the latter. The cab of the truck slammed into the culvert and the logs he was hauling kept right on going until they came to a stop over the cab. All you could see were logs.

Several pickups stopped before the last log quit rolling. The men grabbed their chainsaws and started cutting the logs to free the driver, who thankfully was unhurt. They didn't wait for the sheriff or the fire department or someone to figure out what had to be done. ...

This is a wonderful story, ET, both about the townspeople and the log truck's driver's quick thinking.

I don't think chainsaws are even legal in my burb, never mind carrying them around in pickups--any sawing gets done by overpriced contractors. Another reason I voted in the middle on this poll.

I don't think chainsaws are even legal in my burb, never mind carrying them around in pickups--any sawing gets done by overpriced contractors. Another reason I voted in the middle on this poll.

Hmm! Then I guess that is a reason why the movie was called "The TEXAS chainsaw massacre". :LOL: To be serious, here in Louisiana I think everybody has a chainsaw. I almost bought one myself but then decided to borrow his when I need one.

Last edited:
I like where I live (Eastern fringe of Phoenix) in the winter. Summers, not so much.

There's lots to love and hate about the DC area. For better or worse, it's my home. Family ties will keep us in the general area so we don't dream about moving anytime soon. So I'm not so much in love with the area but the friends and family who live here. Therefore, I try to focus on what I love and avoid what I hate.

One of the biggest drawbacks is the awful traffic. That's not such a problem now that I'm retired. One of the biggest benefits is how many interesting things there are to see and do.

One of the biggest drawbacks is the awful traffic. That's not such a problem now that I'm retired. One of the biggest benefits is how many interesting things there are to see and do.

I didn't (last fall) find the traffic to be as bad as some cities -- Chicago, Minneapolis, Dallas, for instance -- but not all that pleasant either.

I do agree there is a concentration of "important/interesting things to do and see" greater than in any other place... at least, in the United States.

None of these were my meaning. My meaning is something or someone who is filling a position or need to which or to whom one is not really committed, and will hopefully be replaced by a permanent position holder in the future.

Gotcha. I wonder if the explanation/definition will/would have change(d) any votes? (I voted #1.)

Are you kidding?!? We've lived all over the world, and we choose to live here... thousands of miles away from family, too. I may kvetch about things but I can't imagine living in any other climate or among any other culture(s).

I also love a beach town in North Carolina where I bought a beachfront condo back in 2003 with the plan to live there when I retire in 2014. That beach town is on a island only 2 miles long. Completely quiet in the off-season. Even on the 4th of July weekend, the sandy beach in front of my condo had a "crowd" of 7 persons! Yet this island is only a 10 minute drive from a larger town which offers a lot of history, vibrant night life, awesome restaurants, universities, boutiques, cafes, great bookstores, running, walking, and kayaking clubs, etc.
So, um, how's the surf? I'm just curious...

I also love a beach town in North Carolina where I bought a beachfront condo back in 2003 with the plan to live there when I retire in 2014. That beach town is on a island only 2 miles long. Completely quiet in the off-season. Even on the 4th of July weekend, the sandy beach in front of my condo had a "crowd" of 7 persons! Yet this island is only a 10 minute drive from a larger town which offers a lot of history, vibrant night life, awesome restaurants, universities, boutiques, cafes, great bookstores, running, walking, and kayaking clubs, etc. So when I want to see people I drive for 10 minutes, when I want solitude I just return to my home at the beach. I am perfectly content when I am there.

Except for the threat of hurricanes this would be my ideal place.

I grew up in a nice suburb of Cleveland. I just don't care for cities and I have no attachment to Cleveland, I generally avoid the place. My elderly parents and sister and BIL still live in the suburbs of Cleveland but that's as far as I go.

All my adult life we've lived in a suburb of Akron, OH. Slower pace than Cleveland, low cost of living and traffic is not a problem. I have a strong attachment to my house and my neighborhood but not to the city of Akron.

If we didn't have family here in NE Ohio we would consider moving. DH's family is outside of Denver so that would be an option.

But Retire2014's condo on a NC beach would be my dream. :cool:

There was a time, long long ago, that I really enjoyed living here. My husband, my job, my house, my friends...life was not spectacular as far as the area goes for entertainment, job opportunities, or culture, but it was good.

I had to reinvent my own personal world in late 2004. It is tough being a widow in a community that was used to seeing you as one half of a couple. Some of my closest friends are still in my circle, but by and large, the "couples' world" I belonged to has drifted away. I say this not to invoke sympathy, but to illustrate the reality. I know some of the divorced folks here will be able to relate.

So my view of my community is somewhat tainted. I am seriously looking at leaving in the next year or two, to get that fresh start my "life coach" told me I needed. The most daunting part is the concept of selling the house, uprooting, and starting all over again. Inertia is another factor.

Mr B and I have a common dream to [-]escape[/-] relocate. We just have to decide how badly we want to do that. :cool:

The funny thing is we are both making new friends lately. Hmmmmm :whistle:

What about Carbondale, IL?

Well, the climate is nicer. However Carbondale residents also woke up today to find that the lame duck legislature had voted in the largest income tax increase in state history.

So no

Back
Top Bottom