My Friends are Dying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received an email from our HS class (1965) historian that we lost another classmate yesterday. There were only 75 of us and many of us have stayed in touch over the years. As far as I know she is the first of the group to succumb to Covid 19.

What is sad is seeing the emails my deceased Dad gets from Classmates.com on an almost daily basis. His graduation year was 1944 and I think there were about 20 students. Before he passed, he had mentioned that there were only about 5 left from his class. The email always says something like, "Hey! Your former classmates are looking for you!"... I suppose they are getting this from the great beyond?

Let this be an eye opener to those people stuck in OMY. Adding another year of work does not add another year to your life, it brings you one year closer to death. Go enjoy the now. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

yup, totally agree.

my dad suffered a fatal heart attack at age 48 while playing golf (he stepped out of the cart and fell over dead). he and i had breakfast together before i went to work. 8-hrs later i got a phone call that he was gone. none of his 6-brothers made it past 56. OTOH all of my aunts snd uncles on my my mom’s side were around when the patent for dirt was granted.

my wife and i had been comtemplating and planning for ER for a while but as i approached 48 in 1998 i started getting nervous. a check-up and stress test relieved me of my...stress but thinking back to dad’s family only reinforced my desire to RE. i didn’t make my initial target of 50 but hit the secondary target of 55 squarely. tomorrow may never come.

Last edited:
My Dad died suddenly at 58. I count my blessings and part of my reason for retiring at 47. Too many hobbies and interests to keep working.

I have young kids who partially due Covid are grumpy. I wish they could appreciate the gravity of life to be more thankful for what they have. Don’t waste any time sitting in sad/mad/grumpy/sorry/etc.

There are many successful people on this forum who have a good control on life, but none of us can control time. Important to make the most of every day!

One thing about death, we will be in good company! It's the lowly mortals left behind that I feel sorry for.

One thing about death, we will be in good company!

"Here's your dorm...there's 110 billion ex-living residents here.....see if you can find a place to crash. Og the Caveman is the dorm supervisor...try not to upset him, his vocabulary is limited, his IQ is low, and he's quite touchy and prone to violence. All the best."

These words are why I fear death far less than long-term disability. Whether there's an afterlife in the spiritual sense or not, these words are undeniable:

Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 King James Version (KJV)
5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Many years ago a favorite professor from graduate school handed out this poem at the end of the semester (very off-topic considering the subject of the class). I was saddened to learn he had passed away some time ago with Alzheimer's. The internet says this poem was first made famous and reprinted in Ann Landers' column:

https://radreads.co/the-station-by-robert-hastings/

Every year, I re-read this wonderful poem by Robert Hastings – a reminder that the joy of life is the journey and not the destination.

Tucked away in our subconscious minds is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long, long trip that almost spans the continent. We’re traveling by passenger train, and out the windows we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hills, of biting winter and blazing summer and cavorting spring and docile fall...(continued)

My dad’s big disabling stroke at 59 taught me that there’s worse things than dying.

My dad’s big disabling stroke at 59 taught me that there’s worse things than dying.

+1. I feel for you. My dad has his first stroke at 63 and never recovered. He hung on for another 21 years and several more strokes, gradually deteriorating until he finally passed away last year. His last stroke left him with aphasia so he couldn't speak or swallow. We knew it was time when he was pulling out his feeding tube to let us know he didnt want to live anymore. It was not very pleasant. And this year is the year is the year that I turn 63. What all of this taught me was to seize the moment and enjoy life while you can.

My father was in poor health and took a medical pension at 59. He moved to the west coast and started playing 18-27 holes three times a week. His health turned around. He lived to 87 in his own home.

I did the same nine years ago. Life is too short and who really knows what tomorrow will bring. Only one regret so far.....should have done it a few years earlier.

Last edited:
Life is too short and who really knows what tomorrow will bring. Only one regret so far.....should have done it a few years earlier.

I know/knew a number of people in their late 80s and 90s and when I look at their quality of life I think.... boring!
I'm not worried about boring. I'm worried about being stuck in a care facility, or worse yet, memory care unit.

Many years ago a favorite professor from graduate school handed out this poem at the end of the semester (very off-topic considering the subject of the class). I was saddened to learn he had passed away some time ago with Alzheimer's. The internet says this poem was first made famous and reprinted in Ann Landers' column:

Every year, I re-read this wonderful poem by Robert Hastings – a reminder that the joy of life is the journey and not the destination.

Tucked away in our subconscious minds is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long, long trip that almost spans the continent. We’re traveling by passenger train, and out the windows we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hills, of biting winter and blazing summer and cavorting spring and docile fall...(continued)

Thanks. It's a good reminder.

Here is the last talk of a professor who died in 2007. Randy Pausch's lecture is one of the best things I have ever heard on Youtube. It certainly inspired me, even at a late age, to try to be more of myself.

On Sept. 18, 2007, only a month after doctors told him that he had three-to-six months to live following a recurrence of pancreatic cancer, he presented a lecture called "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" to a packed auditorium at Carnegie Mellon.

The moving and often humorous talk recounted his efforts to achieve such childhood dreams as becoming a professional football player, experiencing zero gravity and developing Disney World attractions. In the process, he shared his insights on finding the good in other people, working hard to overcome obstacles and living generously.

These words are why I fear death far less than long-term disability. Whether there's an afterlife in the spiritual sense or not, these words are undeniable:

Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 King James Version (KJV)
5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

They are undeniable.

Thanks for posting. I like the reading.

It is sad to look at a few Funeral Home Obit notices and see how many I know that pass on. Living in very rural area and a number of small towns and living here all my life you get to know many or have had some sort of contact one way or another.

To have striven all one's life to do the right thing and not get in any trouble, only to end up as an inmate after all. Well, it can happen to anyone; so eat dessert now.

I'm not worried about boring. I'm worried about being stuck in a care facility, or worse yet, memory care unit.

Now with Covid I can add 2 more to the list. They were totally isolating for the past 8 months and have no idea how they got it. I am glad we had some fun this summer when things were better. We have been locked down for the past month and will remain so until we get a vaccine.

Now with Covid I can add 2 more to the list. They were totally isolating for the past 8 months and have no idea how they got it. I am glad we had some fun this summer when things were better. We have been locked down for the past month and will remain so until we get a vaccine.

So sorry about your friends Terry. This virus is just the worst. Really concerning to me that your friends were isolating but still got it. Praying for the vaccine soon.

They didn’t get to see their kids or grandchildren and now are gone. I am friends with another couple that have it but the husband is still working. It’s devastating.

Grim reminder of what eventually comes, and I'm sorry to hear it has happened to your friends.

We just learned that carelessness and denial has caused a significant problem at friend's office.

Wife gets infected, husband still goes into the office. Girl in office cancels her test at last minute fearing it will affect her family trip to Disney.

Stay safe and do the right thing.

Target, it’s really sad that some people are putting their own desires ahead of the common good. I wonder if people have always been so selfish?

Target, it’s really sad that some people are putting their own desires ahead of the common good. I wonder if people have always been so selfish?
There's some selfishness in all of us I read. For example, there is healthy selfishness and it can be measured against pathological altruism.

I do think our world still progresses somehow, while individual decisions at any given time seem to be increasingly poorer. That's just my opinion of course. Something for psychologists and social scientists to study, while I isolate and cope like many others.
:flowers:

A year or two back I found out that my former high school debate partner had recently died. I did not know until then, but we had the exact same birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom