Most/Least Social and Polite Areas To New Comers?

It seems to me that people in the South (I live in NC) are very polite. Saying please and thank you, holding the door, moving out of the way, etc. But watch out when we say to someone "Bless your heart"-- that may not be a compliment. On the "social" end I could see that it might be difficult for an outsider to fit in in some southern communities. A frequent term I hear when describing an outsider who does not seem to fit in is "he ain't from around here."

You would think so, but not always these days. Some realtors have become so afraid of saying something that could be considered discriminatory they won’t say anything. We just moved here two years ago and our realtor absolutely refused to provide any comparisons between neighborhoods, parts of town, etc. We even told her we’d hold her views in confidence, but nothing doing - and we worked with her for four months!

Wow! I wouldn’t want to work with a realtor who didn’t provide that local knowledge.

I'm not going to read the whole thread, but if anybody comes up with a good location where people are polite but not social, let me know.

I'm not going to read the whole thread, but if anybody comes up with a good location where people are polite but not social, let me know.

Yes I like to say..sometimes it's a little to "peoplely" outside. But it's not them it's me..

If you want friends, be friendly. If you want social, go where people are.

If you want social and friendly, go somewhere where people are and be friendly.

This always works.

Friendliness of a community is a "must" for any place I live. So I get where you're coming from, OP. Very important criteria. (OP, I'm not responding to the "social and polite" question, but translating it into my own preferred language -- friendliness. Ignore me if that doesn't fit what you're asking.)

In general, smaller cities are friendlier than bigger ones. Small cities have the potential for a sense of community, too (something different than "friendliness," but a nice bonus). I like college towns of about 50K to 100K -- that seems to be my sweet spot.

In terms of geography, I've lived in the midwest, west coast, and the south. The south is, in my experience, the friendliest place to live. I'm not saying everyone is a joy -- there are jerks everywhere -- but in general, people are friendly. They smile, say hi, wave, greet you, try to be welcoming. It's easy to strike up a conversation on the street. Neighbors are friendly with each other for the most part (occasional fights erupt over dog poo). From what I have experienced, this is true of the southeast as well (though maybe not in the larger cities).

People in the midwest are friendly, too, but in a more reserved, restrained way. I'm okay with that. Those are my roots, and that's my style, too.

I would recommend checking out niche.com for resident reviews of potential cities you're considering. It can be illuminating. Among other things, you'll find comments about the friendliness of the people and whether they are open to newcomers.

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/greenville-greenville-sc/reviews/
(That link is to Greenville, which was my last search, but you can put in any city you like.)

Last edited:
A frequent term I hear when describing an outsider who does not seem to fit in is "he ain't from around here."
I hear that phrase almost every time I stop by our local small town Barber Shop....

It seems to me that people in the South (I live in NC) are very polite. Saying please and thank you, holding the door, moving out of the way, etc. But watch out when we say to someone "Bless your heart"-- that may not be a compliment. On the "social" end I could see that it might be difficult for an outsider to fit in in some southern communities. A frequent term I hear when describing an outsider who does not seem to fit in is "he ain't from around here."
Spent time in Winston Salem NC and they were the nicest people I've met in the Carolinas. As an outsider they treated me as an old friend.

I have very little time spent there, but isn't that what New England is said to be like? People are polite but reserved until you've been around long enough to be "one of them"--after 20 years or so. Maybe that has changed. Not trying to start an argument with any New Englanders, just going by (perhaps outdated) reputation.

I've lived in 12 cities, 7 states, and 3 countries. My experience is, it's what you make of it.

This.

That said - I think there are some regional stereotypes... Same ratio of nice people and a*holes... but their interactions may take on regional nuances.

My experience...

I lived in Philly for a while - and had friends all along the mid-atlantic. Definitely not the "have a nice day" interactions with sales people... More of a WYSIWYG. No fake smiles, if the person was grumpy, you knew it. Interactions tended to be terse and to the point. I didn't have a problem with this because I (me personally) would rather have authenticity as long as hate wasn't directed at me. Mix of smiles/nods on the street.

In SoCal - salepeople, etc will wish you a 'nice day'... sounds vapid - but I think they really mean it. Everyone just seems happy, even if a bit superficial and fluffy. So a pleasant, albeit not-deep interchange with folks. Lots of smiles and nods on the street.

I lived in the NW and it was largely like SoCal - but the small city I lived in was a bit insular... I had to break into groups that had known each other forever... but I managed to do it... And people were really nice.

I lived in Georgia for a brief bit. Granted I was instantly labeled a yankee... so that was an issue.My experience might have been different if I'd been a southerner. Sales people and random strangers were pleasant... but it wasn't always authentic. I heard "Bless your heart" so many times it was scary... and you learn really quickly this is not a good thing. It's polite, and on the surface, nice... but under the surface it's pretty much a knife in the back. I did not take well to this environment

I was able to make friends in all of the areas... But my daily interaction was shaped by the stereotypes of the region.

Next year I will have lived in Texas for 30 years. I'll finally be a native! :)
This made me LOL my DH says it's never your farm until you die..we have lived on the "Larson" farm for over 31 years. ( and no we aren't named Larson.)

Last edited:

LOL

My father moved to Maine about 30 years before he retired, and he eventually retired in the same town he'd lived in all that time.

He and his wife were well-known and very active in the community for decades. Up until the day he died he would be described (fondly) by those born and bred there as being "from away." They didn't mean it in any derogatory way - it was just a way of categorizing folks. If you weren't from several generations of Mainers, you were "from away."

He could have lived there another 30 years and it wouldn't have made a difference. It never bothered him. It was just the way it was.

I lived in the same town in Maine as my Dad for two years, and I can guarantee you I barely registered on anyone's radar!

Mainers are great people, and if you have a few hundred years to spare, you can eventually become one of them. :D

Last edited:
Spent time in Winston Salem NC and they were the nicest people I've met in the Carolinas. As an outsider they treated me as an old friend.

I was born & have lived most of my life in NC. I agree with you about the folks from Winston Salem being especially friendly & outgoing. Two of my best friends are originally from Winston and they are such good warm-spirited people.

LOL

My father moved to Maine about 30 years before he retired, and he eventually retired in the same town he'd lived in all that time.

He and his wife were well-known and very active in the community for decades. Up until the day he died he would be described (fondly) by those born and bred there as being "from away." They didn't mean it in any derogatory way - it was just a way of categorizing folks. If you weren't from several generations of Mainers, you were "from away."

He could have lived there another 30 years and it wouldn't have made a difference. It never bothered him. It was just the way it was.

I lived in the same town in Maine as my Dad for two years, and I can guarantee you I barely registered on anyone's radar!

Mainers are great people, and if you have a few hundred years to spare, you can eventually become one of them. :D
Hah. So true of Maine but still a great place nevertheless.

One can make friends wherever you are. That seems tangent to the question. Certainly it's lumpy across the US, and so the pleasantness of arriving and assimilation will vary. I went from Minnesota to a place where big city northeast people moved to another big city to retire and there was no doubt about lumpiness, hehehe! But like southerners' ending with 'bless his heart' not everyone in Minnesota is nice. But I'd rather wonder if I was just insulted rather than accept an obvious insult :D

Well pretty close...With 30 years under your belt, we'll call you a naturalized citizen of the state. :) Congratulations, you made it...

We have found Florida retirement communities we rented in the last few years to be social and welcoming. I am sure it is because everyone moved from somewhere else. Small towns can be less social if you did not grow up there. My sister has lived in numerous areas of the country. Their favorite area was a suburb of Nashville. They said the people were very welcoming and friendly. She now lives in a suburb of Ft. Worth and says the people there are social also. Bottom line, if you are an extrovert you will probably thrive anywhere! If you are an introvert it will likely be a struggle anywhere. If you are somewhere in the middle, like myself and my DW, choose wisely and try to get involved in the community!

In all my travels and all the places I have lived in the US and abroad
I have found Australia and New Zealand to have the friendliest and most social people. But I am going to guess you don't want a place that far away.

I have also found that if you are not happy with your environment then give it a few years and it will change. I have had that experience both where I live and where I worked.

Cheers!

I don't mind generalizing. I live in the Baltimore/DC area and wouldn't recommend it to anyone retiring. Lots to do but over the top crowded and busy. I think that in itself is why everyone here acts so angry and irritated.

I really liked reading all of the different experiences in this thread, especially Midpack's. Real experiences, and moving is always a crap shoot. Here is my real, long, life-long story.

I'm 67, retired going on 10 years, and have lived in four states and five different houses.

Three of those houses in three states were great, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Illinois, up to age 42. Great, partly because I was naïve, never having had nightmare neighbors. You don't realize the stress until this occurs in your life.

The fourth house was in Ohio and also a great place, for a year. Yes, the neighbors had dogs, but didn't let them bark. Super social, polite area even with 1/2 acre lots. At my age 43, the neighbor across the street moved. A family moved in with a basset hound that they put out every afternoon for the entire evening. It never stopped howling. The neighborhood tolerated it for a few weeks and then it all went to heck. Police, dog wardens, numerous neighbors addressing it, and that only made it worst. The polite neighbors then let their dogs loose to join the melee. A literal dog war... a nightmare.

The newish neighbor dug in and refused to cooperate. Houses went up for sale, more police, etc.. A very traumatic nightmare that I live with to this day. I lived there 18 years. That neighbor eventually moved 6 years prior, but had already ruined the neighborhood.

Did my latest move in 2015, rural residential area with 1 1/2 - 2 acre lots, surrounded by a vineyard. In the very center was an old 5 acre horse farm surrounded by at least a dozen homes on big lots. The whole area was zoned residential, so they couldn't build anything beyond the existing house on the edge of the 5 acres with only one access. It was land locked.

We bought a very recently built ranch on a ridge at the end of one of the three cul-de-sacs. We had 1 1/2 acres of which 3/4 acre was woods. Strips of woods and honeysuckle separated us from the two next door neighbors, neither had dogs. Had 1/2 acre of woods across our entire backyard separating us from the essentially empty 5 acre field. We were on the outer edge of a major city, every store, restaurant, gym that exists were within 15-20 minutes.

It still is a dream come true, BUT... During the move, we made many trips with a truck, van, and eventually U-hauls to the new house. You just got rocked to sleep with the crickets at night. Then, the farm sold. During one of our last trips, we endured an hour of ATV's racing back and forth behind our house. Cried for a day or two. Continued the move and didn't hear them again for a few months. Then they decided to do a winter, snow ride at 11PM on a Sunday night. That neighborhood erupted, trees were slashed, threats made and we have never heard an ATV in going on 5 years. All quiet. Yep, you have USA freedom on your property up to a point...

One observation, living in a rural residential area. All of our neighbors are super nice, will help out on anything if asked, but basically want left alone. That's why they moved out here. One neighbor has kept trying to bring the neighborhood together, but it fails. Honestly, they are considered noisy and strange in a way.

As I said, long story, but one I've been wanting to get off my mind for years. Thanks if you tolerated the whole thing. It was therapeutic for me!

Last edited:
zaqxsw, thanks for your story. I agree about barking dogs left outside, they can absolutely ruin a neighborhood. I know that many people on here do not like HOAs but a well written, well enforced HOA can protect a neighborhood from things like barking dogs.

zaqxsw, thanks for your story. I agree about barking dogs left outside, they can absolutely ruin a neighborhood. I know that many people on here do not like HOAs but a well written, well enforced HOA can protect a neighborhood from things like barking dogs.

We like to look at open houses when we winter in Southern Utah. We were in beautiful corner home perched on a bluff with floor to ceiling drop dead views. BUT, when we parked to go in the home, three houses down, two dogs literally started howling and howled the entire time we were inside. It was earsplitting and I felt sorry for the guy doing the open house and even sorrier for the people who had bought homes on that street.

It was like they were having a howling contest...and they lived in the same yard. There were cars parked in the home's driveway and I have no idea how the pet owners lived with it.

Back
Top Bottom