lottery tickets as gifts

broadway

Full time employment: Posting here.
What are people's thoughts on giving 5 x $1 scratch-off lottery tickets as gifts to acquaintances?

Is it a waste of money better spent on 2 chocolate bars?

Nah. Maybe only if someone I knew would really appreciate that particular item. I know one family member that would enjoy it but I'd have to spend more than 20 bucks so he'd rather have a bottle of booze.

It can be fun if you make it a social event thingy: "If we win big, split the winnings!"

And fantasize about the new boat you'll buy.

Why would you give gifts to acquaintances ?

Then are they going to feel obligated to give you something ?
In both cases it will often be something useless that they wouldn't buy themselves.

Much like office Christmas presents, the items were mostly just a waste of money unless it was food or booze and even then it was often passed onto someone else.

I give lotto tickets for birthday and Christmas gifts all the time. I often use them to balance (or even out) how much I give to each family member.

My Dad loves scratch-off lottery tickets so it would be perfect for him. I think you have to know what the person would like.

Lottery tickets have the advantage of being easily disposable after being checked - no need to keep the gift on display or struggle with an explanation about how the objet d'arte gift was really great but just didn't go with your particular style or cope with the guilt felt when you put the gift in the Goodwill box.

Gift cards, for me, are irksome if they aren't to a place we frequent - and even then the card is yet another card to be found in my wallet, and if it isn't all used up on the first use I have to remember there is $3.57 credit on it and split the bill the next time with a different credit card.

I wouldn't. A gift card is classier, in my view.
If class is what matters, I think there's no classier gift than this - and it's a wonderful addition to a home office or basement bar, but also looks nice above the fireplace or in the dining room. :)

It can be fun if you make it a social event thingy: "If we win big, split the winnings!"

And fantasize about the new boat you'll buy.

My Dad has done this the last couple years. He gets one scratch off for everyone and we split any winnings. No luck so far but it's cheap entertainment when done sparingly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 5.04.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 5.04.55 PM.png
    325.6 KB · Views: 26
What are people's thoughts on giving 5 x $1 scratch-off lottery tickets as gifts to acquaintances?

Is it a waste of money better spent on 2 chocolate bars?

Do you normally exchange gifts with these acquaintances?

Are the 2 chocolate bars for you? If so, then buy the bars.

It seems a bit odd for acquaintances... if by that group you mean the people on your christmas card list sort of thing.

Now, for friends, if you were sticking one in (and not 5x1, just $1) like a little extra gag or stocking stuffer, ok that's cute.

But I don't really give anything to acquaintances. Family get gifts, Friends get cards, done.

It's a perfect gift.

It's fun, requires no re-gifting, small so no payback required, perfect!

Lottery tickets have been gifts provided by Santa to our family for several years. We all find them in our stockings Christmas morning.

I would prefer to give/receive a gift card (ie gas station etc.).

-gauss

I think it's a fun idea.

It really depends on the recipient. In my case it would be a waste. I'd rather have chocolate. To me, lottery tickets are a tax on the poor, since they're more likely to buy them.

Not necessarily; I know plenty of well-off folks who buy them routinely.

But certainly a tax on those who are poor at math.

It's hard to carry around some chocolate in your pocket and very easy to stuff say $50 of scratchers in there to pass around to say 10 different people.

And you might just win big and be able to buy all the chocolate you want.

Back
Top Bottom