Man's best friend

Poor little guy - he must have had a great life, though, with someone loving him as much as you do.

Cruiser reminds me of a beagle we had named Patches. Cruiser is a good name because our beagle would put her nose to the ground, get a good sniff and start wandering. Always had to keep an eye on her when she was off leash.

It's wonderful to see so many people and their attachment and dedication to their dogs. I am one also. With all of the craziness in the world it's nice to hear of unconditional love of people and dogs. Wish more people could be like dogs.

I know one day we will face the same situation. I like to just take each day and enjoy the happiness that we give/bring to each other and only remember the good times. Dogs do go to heaven.

Hang in there Dash man.

Think about how many people never got to experience what he's given you...you are lucky that you had that opportunity. ( I hope I'm saying this right)

Bless.

Cruiser is a Beagle/Basset mix we rescued from a lab at a nearby veterinary school. He didn't meet their requirements and was scheduled to be put down at ten weeks old. They have a network of technicians who work with graduates of the vet school to find homes for these pups. I worked with the father of one of the vets who literally walked down the hall at work calling out asking if anyone wants a dog. I called my wife and she agreed, so we made the arrangements. It was literally a meeting in the back parking lot in the middle of the night operation. They were very sensitive about the work they do there and didn't like to bring attention to it. It was a memorable night, and one of the best spur of the moment decisions I ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I used to pull animals from the local shelter late at night as last minute saves. The night shift did much of the euthanasia, and the staff that cared would box up the cats they wanted to save and start dialing for last ditch rescue. I am not a night person and the shelter is not in the best neighborhood, but there was no choice. A lot of good cats that were a few minutes away from death found homes, and that made the drive worth it.

When it was time, I also had to deal with this issue. Very sad experience. Unexpectedly, my vet made a paw-print in a picture box for me. I had never heard of this, but, I am very thankful she took it upon herself to make me one.

Here is a link to the type of box used. Paws of Remembrance

It now has a "place of honor" on my dresser. Your vet may have a similar offering? If so, I highly recommend acquiring one. Every time I see it, I relive fond memories, and those memories make me smile.

Dash - I am so sorry to read this. It is a sad time.

When it was time, I also had to deal with this issue. Very sad experience. Unexpectedly, my vet made a paw-print in a picture box for me. I had never heard of this, but, I am very thankful she took it upon herself to make me one.

Here is a link to the type of box used. Paws of Remembrance

It now has a "place of honor" on my dresser. Your vet may have a similar offering? If so, I highly recommend acquiring one. Every time I see it, I relive fond memories, and those memories make me smile.

Yes, our vet provides a paw print also. We lost our cat a few weeks ago and received a paw print. When Cruiser passes we will be sure to get one also.

One of our dogs loved to ride in the car so we kept her boxed ashes in the trunk for a long time. Always made me smile to see them.

One of our dogs loved to ride in the car so we kept her boxed ashes in the trunk for a long time. Always made me smile to see them.

That's cute. We have all of our boxed ashes in a closet. I think there are 9 boxes in all. When we build our northern house we are going to bury them there.

Sorry to hear this news . We have a 9 yr old Westie, and he is also our best friend. Cherish the remaining time you have with your little friend.

Sad news, spend the time you have now to reinforce the memories. It is never easy, been there many times with our pets int he past.

Sorry to hear about Cruiser. It's the unconditional love and never failing joy at seeing you come in the door that binds us so closely to our dogs. One of the hardest thing I've ever done was to make that final decision and be there throughout the process of peacefully ending our ailing dog's life. It was tough but he had always been there for me and I had to return the favor of being there and gently petting him at his final breath.

Yes, our vet provides a paw print also. We lost our cat a few weeks ago and received a paw print. When Cruiser passes we will be sure to get one also.

I am so sorry to hear this. It's hard enough to lose one pet family member, but to have to say goodbye to two in such a short time span is unimaginable to me. :(

I also want to say bless your heart (and your wife's heart) for saving Cruiser from the lab when he was just a pup. What a wonderful life he has had with you all these years as a result of that decision you made that day.

I volunteered in animal rescues for several years, until my own cats' health demanded round-the-clock attention, and people who adopted my foster animals were angels in my book.

After I had to say goodbye to my big old orange tabby boy (13.5 y.o.) last year, I donated some of his special food and prescription meds to the animal shelter. I apologized to the staff member because I was crying while dropping off the stuff, and she told me something I'll never forget - she said she was GLAD to see me cry, because it meant my cat mattered, and was well-loved while he was here. She said she had seen too many animals pass away with no one to mourn for them, and that my tears honored my cat's life (if that makes sense). I'll never forget that.

Cruiser looks like a real sweetheart in his pic.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear this. It's hard enough to lose one pet family member, but to have to say goodbye to two in such a short time span is unimaginable to me. :(

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1447898165.213617.jpg

This is Cruiser staying by our cat Maya when she was sick, as she lay in her favorite spot on the top step leading to our basement. He knew she wasn't well and was watching over her.

Dash man - thanks for sharing your story with us and we hope Cruiser's last days with you are good ones. That last picture of Cruiser watching over Maya is precious - have you considered framing a print of it to remember both of them in such a sweet way?

We've only had our little dog Skittles for 2 months (a rescued 2-year old maltipoo) and this thread made me cry thinking how we would feel if anything happened to him.

Cruiser is a Beagle/Basset mix we rescued from a lab at a nearby veterinary school. He didn't meet their requirements and was scheduled to be put down at ten weeks old. They have a network of technicians who work with graduates of the vet school to find homes for these pups. I worked with the father of one of the vets who literally walked down the hall at work calling out asking if anyone wants a dog. I called my wife and she agreed, so we made the arrangements. It was literally a meeting in the back parking lot in the middle of the night operation. They were very sensitive about the work they do there and didn't like to bring attention to it. It was a memorable night, and one of the best spur of the moment decisions I ever made.

I have 3 beagles, one a rescue. What a great life you've given Cruiser, past those 10 weeks when he'd have been discarded.
He has been very fortunate to have you, he's a handsome guy, and I sincerely hope y'all have a great time for all the time that is left.

We never get enough time with them, and it hurts to let them go when we have to. But I personally would not give up
the years of joy and companionship for the time of my pain of loss. I am very sorry for your grief now. Cruiser is still here with you, right now. Keep him as comfortable as you can and when he goes, just know you did your best for him.

Take care.

Carpe beagle.

Edit to add: I read again your initial post. Food thief. That's a beagle for ya! What a great guy!

Last edited:
This is Cruiser staying by our cat Maya when she was sick, as she lay in her favorite spot on the top step leading to our basement. He knew she wasn't well and was watching over her.

Bless his heart! What a wonderful picture - he clearly is watching over her. Maya is the spitting image of the first cat I ever had as an adult, 30 years ago. It's amazing the joy they can bring us.

I still remember the pain when my best buddy ever passed. That was in 1965. I still have his collar. Being a terrier he loved to chase things and a tennis ball was his favorite toy. There was a tennis court not far away and if a ball went over the fence he was on it and gone!

A sort-of mean thing I'd do when there was snow on the ground and none on the street (we lived on a dead-end street so little traffic) was make a snowball and then throw it low and parallel to the street. About the time he'd catch up to it the snowball had ground down to nothing and he'd look at me with a puzzled face - "Where'd it go?"

Attachments

• Perkey.jpg
    Perkey.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 22
Took Cruiser out for a special day today. We went for a walk on a local trail going at a slow pace so he could take in all the smells. We stopped along the creek and rested a bit for him. Afterwards we went by the in laws so he could say hello. He met lots of new friends in their retirement home with everyone stopping to give him a scratch. Once we got home I grilled some top sirloin that he gobbled up in no time. Now he is sleeping after a good day. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1448237069.942562.jpg

Took Cruiser out for a special day today. . . . Once we got home I grilled some top sirloin that he gobbled up in no time. Now he is sleeping after a good day.
When our time comes and we find that there's a mutt at the pearly gates deciding who gets in, this day will stand you in good stead.

Took Cruiser out for a special day today. We went for a walk on a local trail going at a slow pace so he could take in all the smells. We stopped along the creek and rested a bit for him. Afterwards we went by the in laws so he could say hello. He met lots of new friends in their retirement home with everyone stopping to give him a scratch. Once we got home I grilled some top sirloin that he gobbled up in no time. Now he is sleeping after a good day. View attachment 22654

Sounds like an absolutely perfect day for your old buddy! :)

Great day!

I remember fondly the last day me and one of my long time dogs took a walk through her favorite park. So glad I have photos. They still make me miss her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom