teeth grinding - do I want a night guard

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
First appointment with new dentist today. She recommended a surface filling which I agreed to and a night guard which I am undecided. Off to google how bulky they are. . . But she says I grind the crap out my teeth while sleeping. If it is something along the size of a retainer it probably would not be bothersome if huge well not likely to wear it.

Been wearing one for 40 years I wouldn't have teeth without it. Not the same gaurd of course, I destroy them in 24 months.

Oh I never thought about how long it would last. I just wondered why last dentist never brought it up either. It has only been 6 months. I thought maybe I had a cavity since one area is rather sensitive but she said nope.

Last edited:
+1
I too have been wearing one for ~20 years now. I love it and if I wake up at night without it installed, I almost always will go get it, due to fatigued feeling mouth.

My first one was a hard one (~$300-400), but started to crack after ~18 years, so I got a new one. The replacement guard is a soft one, so the cost was much less (~$100).

I always have mine sized for the bottom as I have a bad gag reflex. Don't know if it matters, as they kind of snap in place (??).

The ones from the dentist are outrageously priced. My old practical dentist said to just buy a mouth guard designed for sports and wear it. I have used one for 40+ years. I can't get to sleep without it.

Another grinder here. I had one made several years ago, soft silicone, a bit bulky, but once used to it, no problems. I used it for years. Still have it.
I stopped using it a few years ago, shortly after retirement. I stopped waking up with a sore jaw, and new dentist did not notice any worse wear on my molars. Probably was tension all along!
Every dental check up, I mention it, but both hygienist and dentist are not seeing any more wear on my teeth, no misalignment, and no sore jaw!

It wouldn't hurt to try it. Mine was not covered by insurance, but at the time, cost a few hundred dollars at the dental office.

Mine is half covered and the estimate says it is "hard". It is a lower tooth that is the problem but she recommended upper no idea why actually.

Oh I never thought about how long it would last. I just wondered why last dentist never brought it up either. It has only been 6 months. I thought maybe I had a cavity since one area is rather sensitive but she said nope.
My dentist referred to me as the heaviest grinder she ever treated. I was her test subject for a material sold as chewproof. After two years I hadn't chewed through it, I split it down the middle. The softer ones are better for me, not the cheap athletic ones, the softer ones from the dentist.

I bought a small one that attaches to my top front teeth. I thought they ripped me off for $400 or so, but I have been wearing it for years. It is hard plastic and I occasionally soak it in some mouth guard cleaner solution.

I talk funny while wearing it, but otherwise it is not a problem.

I've been using a night guard for about a couple of years.

I had a cracked tooth that warranted a visit to my dentist when he said I should get a night guard as I'm a grinder. I resisted at first but after more insisting by the dentist I decided to give a try.

About two years in, I have mixed feelings.

On the plus, the nightguard does make my jaw feel better. Without the guard, sometimes when I wake up my jaw would be sore from I guess the nightly grinding. Inspecting the night guard I see some chips and small cracks where I've chewed. Better the nightguard take the wear and tear than my teeth and jaws.

On the negative, I don't get that good a night's sleep as it still feels a bit unnatural to sleep having something placed in my mouth. Plus, there's the maintenance involved of keeping the nightguard clean.

I compromise. Usually when I wake up around 3 am for my over age 50 wake up, I take off and clean the nightguard, then continue my sleep.

Thumbs up or down, I prefer to have one. But am flexible to not force myself to wear all night.

DH is a teeth grinder and now wears a mouth guard (he likes the cheaper over the counter ones you heat up in water and mold to your teeth). The problem is that DH waited too long to get the month guard. Dentist told DH he needed a a mouth guard years ago but he kept putting it off. Now DH has teeth problems and has had to have a lot of expensive dental work. If your dentist has recommended a mouth guard you should get one ASAP to avoid teeth problems down the line.

Big grinder here and I've been wearing one every single night for about 35 years. Can't sleep without it. Believe it or not I've only had 2 or 3 during that whole time. They last a long time if you get good quality (ie don't buy something from the drug store, have it made by the dentist). Also, you can take it to the dentist when you have teeth cleaning done and they will clean it in their little sonic machine. Otherwise, I brush it with toothpaste after taking it out each morning.

I've been wearing one for about 20 years. Mine is a hard one for my lower teeth and came from the dentist. I can definitely see the places where my upper teeth strike the guard's surface.

I wear mine 99.9% of the time (as I occasionally go to bed having forgotten to put it in my mouth).

I sleep fine with or without the guard. But I prefer to wear it, figuring that reduces the wear and tear on my aging teeth.

omni

A periodontist recommended that I have a bite guard made because I was clenching and grinding in my sleep. He did a custom one which was several hundred dollars. Mine is for the bottom teeth and I got used to wearing it very easily. It lasted many years and then I replaced it with an OTC one from the drug store. It's one of the ones that you put in hot water and fit in your mouth and bite down to get a custom fit. Worked just as well as the one from the periodontist and was about $30. I just replaced that one with one from Walmart for $20 and it's been great.

Give it a try, it prevents the grinding and clenching that can be so damaging to your teeth.

I have worn one for 15-20 years. It is an upper and received it through the dentist.

If I forget to put it in, I will get up to get it.

I took mine to dentist for cleaning and he did not have anything. He said that he cleans his with regular hand soap and that is what I do.

My dentist recommended one 10+ years ago because he said I seemed to have more cracked teeth and/or fillings that average. My first two were ones he made, running $300 or so. I've since replaced it with a cheapie from CVS and it works fine. After the 2 prosthetic teeth are placed in my implants in May I'll get another to fit.

I'm also uncomfortable sleeping without one. Cheap prevention.

DW has worn one for probably 10 years. Says she wouldn't have teeth without them, seems like an easy decision to me...

I have worn one for 15-20 years. It is an upper and received it through the dentist.

If I forget to put it in, I will get up to get it.

I took mine to dentist for cleaning and he did not have anything. He said that he cleans his with regular hand soap and that is what I do.

I throw mine in a glass of water in the morning. The dentist said vinegar is good too. I use those denture cleaning fizzy tablets

A periodontist recommended that I have a bite guard made because I was clenching and grinding in my sleep. He did a custom one which was several hundred dollars. Mine is for the bottom teeth and I got used to wearing it very easily. It lasted many years and then I replaced it with an OTC one from the drug store. It's one of the ones that you put in hot water and fit in your mouth and bite down to get a custom fit. Worked just as well as the one from the periodontist and was about $30. I just replaced that one with one from Walmart for $20 and it's been great.

Give it a try, it prevents the grinding and clenching that can be so damaging to your teeth.

DH likes the Walmart one too. Costs $20 or so and he replaces it about once a year.

I got the occlusal night guard couple years ago. It will save your teeth. Custom made. Not bulky. Insurance covered most of it.

Didn't realize it was so common. I wonder why old dentist never mentioned it. He said my teeth were "boring".

Last edited:
Old one definitely sucked. I went to him way too long after good dentist retired. I guess it won't hurt to try it right. Won't be the first time I spent money on something that didn't work out as well as I expected. I just typically don't have a bunch of dental issues so never gave it much thought.

Last edited:
Didn't realize it was so common. I wonder why old dentist never mentioned it. He said my teeth were "boring".

It takes time for the grinding or, in my case, the jaw-jacking to leave a wear pattern significant enough to start thinking about teeth guards. You can be grinding for years with the damage not showing much. But after a certain point it becomes visible enough to do something about.

My teeth were otherwise boring too. Dentists have told me over the years if all their patients had teeth like mine they couldn't earn a living. I wondered too about why at age 60 nobody had noticed the grinding before and I knew I was doing it. I had awoke many times and caught myself lock-jawed/grinding so it didn't just start at age 59.

Back
Top Bottom