Tracking calories and weight on your smart phone

How successful are people who advocate this approach to fat loss and control in applying this system to their own lives? I think that the minute control necessary to accurately record exercise expenditure, and also calorie intake is somewhere between nearly impossible and absolutely impossible. But I don't know, this is just my imagining.

If this is your method, how are you doing? Are you(se) (plural) lean?

Ha

I have a Samsung cell phone. It came with the Samsung Health app pre-installed, so I only had to start it up. I don't need a Fitbit, a separate watch or anything else.

I usually carry my phone with me when I am walking the dog, running, or bike riding, and so the Health app automatically notices that I am moving and things get recorded. It doesn't seem to record driving around or laying on the couch watching TV which I suppose is good.

But it also has what I think are advantages: I have a heart rate monitor chest strap which I put on when running and cycling. The Samsung Health app detects the strap and my heart rate is recorded as long as I start a "Run" or "Cycling" session. Distance, time, (and thus pace), heart rate are all kept track of. I don't really care about calories burned, but they are recorded. A map of where I went is also kept since the phone has built-in GPS, so I don't need a separate GPS device.

The Health app allows one to record food intake just like My Fitness Pal. I tried it just to see how it works, but I am not interested in tracking my food intake. I have a simple diet with reduced carbohydrates, though not avoiding all carbohydrates. So little to no potatoes, rice, pastas, breads, snack foods. I am partial to chocolate and Mexican food. Restaurants will substitute veggies instead of fries, rice, and refried beans.

All that and I can send/get text messages and make/receive phone calls, too.

And yes, I am reasonably lean. I weigh less than 150 lbs and am almost 6 feet tall.

Bottom line: One's smart phone probably has everything one needs and since one is probably carrying it with them everywhere, one is all set.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom