What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Bike race this morning. Staged badly and got a lousy start. Worked my way up through slower traffic for a finish in the top ten. Had a fun sprint finish against one of my pals at the end, he got me by a few inches at the finish line.

I went out in the rain to wash the north side of my garden shed with bleach, TSP and soap. It had black mold spots on it. They are gone now. I also primed some cedar clapboards that will replace a couple rotted ones back there. It never gets any sun back there and is surrounded by trees.

A quick dishwasher install has migrated to a get rid of that garbage disposal, rework the plumbing, and put in an electric receptacle under the sink because the new dishwasher is not hardwired and hardwired is no longer recommended for whatever reason.
Seems to be the standard on new house builds here in the past 6-7 years. Dishwasher and disposal on separate 20A circuits & dedicated GFCI outlets.

I'm glad that's the case. Our kid moved into their house almost two years ago, and soon after they were throwing the breaker on the dishwasher during the heated dry cycle. Because the cords and sockets were reachable, I had them switch the dishwasher and disposal on the sockets. The dishwasher would complete its dry cycle without tripping the breaker on the other circuit/socket.

That isolated the problem to the socket and breaker that were previously assigned to the dishwasher, streamlining the process for the electrician to fix (under home warranty for a resold home).

Mowed "the back forty" and then helped DW clear up some brush on an area between our lot and the neighbor's. I'm pretty sure the actual land is owned by the HOA but no one does any maintenance on it so it gets pretty overgrown. Finally DW just "couldn't stands it no more" and had to get out some cutters, loppers, rakes and assorted other stuff to clean it up some. I'll grant that it does look a lot better. DW is happy with the result, so that's the important thing.

We had a 30 degree night so I cleaned up the garden what I had left to do. I hand spade the garden and turned over the ground for the wintah. After lunch went for a high-country hike and will watch some football this evening.

^^^^^^^^ Street brrrr, it was a cold- to me and windy night here, 43 degrees at 3am when I took puppy out to do her business. It is supposed to warm back to the 60's today. But I'm not looking forward to the colder temps on the way.

Mowed lawn this morning picked up some leaves, but leaves haven't really started to fall yet.
After lunch I spend the afternoon on the Yellowstone River fishing with an old friend, it was an absolutely beautiful day. We limited out within an hour and half and kept fishing and releasing. We kept 10 and caught ~35 in total. Fished where a small crick runs into the Yellowstone, and it was the place to be today.

That's a perfect day of fishing.
I went to the office and got the loaded dump truck I had parked late on Friday, and took the dirt out to a friend's house. Then I went to town and backfilled a forest of pipes that had been inspected.
PXL-20231005-215439782.jpg

I went to the office and got the loaded dump truck I had parked late on Friday, and took the dirt out to a friend's house. Then I went to town and backfilled a forest of pipes that had been inspected.

A lot going on in that picture.

I imagine you will be getting closer to start that build, for your home soon.

Planted 3 more bulb gardens. Was going to rip out the sprinkler system but decided to just disconnect it. It's not going to be used again as I'm just replicating the plants on the hills around me. Fixing the pavers this month then I've 'xeriscaped' with almost all natives & just a little hard scape. Its weird but the 1st suggestion on replacing lawns is artificial turf. But that stinks if the dogs pee / poop on it. And my dog will

Taking off to Europe in a month. I need a getaway

All pipes that I've seen backfilled were roughly horizontal when the backfilling occurred. Yours are vertical.

So what are those pipes for?

We trunked in the main 6" run and put the stacks up.
They will be bringing in a bunch of fill on the far end of the job, so we saved having to dig a deep trench.
We need the footing forms in place at a minimum to locate the plumbing with enough precision. They will dig the footings and probably pour them, then we will come back and dig up those pipes and take off from there with all the laterals to fixtures.
That pipe line is down a hallway, so all those get cut off and turned except for that end of the line cleanout closest to us.

Seems to be the standard on new house builds here in the past 6-7 years. Dishwasher and disposal on separate 20A circuits & dedicated GFCI outlets.

I'm glad that's the case. Our kid moved into their house almost two years ago, and soon after they were throwing the breaker on the dishwasher during the heated dry cycle. Because the cords and sockets were reachable, I had them switch the dishwasher and disposal on the sockets. The dishwasher would complete its dry cycle without tripping the breaker on the other circuit/socket.

That isolated the problem to the socket and breaker that were previously assigned to the dishwasher, streamlining the process for the electrician to fix (under home warranty for a resold home).

I was surprised to learn that dishwasher fires are one of the main causes of house fires.

I went over to a 95 yr old relatives house and replaced his smoke detectors as he should not be up on a step ladder.
He had bought new ones for his place and his neighbor.

While I was there, his neighbor came over, she is about 80 and needed a couple of hers replaced, so I did them as well.

Took the hatchet and cut some notches in the invasive weed trees, then applied herbicide. Hope it goes to the roots as planned and they die.

They call it Tree of Heaven, but it's really the Tree from Hell. :angel:

Planted 3 more bulb gardens. Was going to rip out the sprinkler system but decided to just disconnect it. It's not going to be used again as I'm just replicating the plants on the hills around me. Fixing the pavers this month then I've 'xeriscaped' with almost all natives & just a little hard scape. Its weird but the 1st suggestion on replacing lawns is artificial turf. But that stinks if the dogs pee / poop on it. And my dog will

Taking off to Europe in a month. I need a getaway
Got the supplies to repair / rebuild hardscape. Hoping to start it at 8am tomorrow

Presented 2016 4x4 truck for monadatory state & safety & brake inspections, while on lift had them do oil change, rotate/blance tires, check front & rear differentials, transfer case, put air in the spare hiding under truck bed. And replaced two rear parking lamps. One was dead the other was dark close to failure. Looked at engine air filter, still good. All is well now.
Do like my favorite indy shop.

So far today.....7:00 AM breakfast with my ROMEO group,.........

Just replaced a SPST light switch with a Lutron motion sensing switch in the walk in closet (God, I love those switches!),

Now getting ready to hang a large picture on a blank wall.

Break time!:)

After that (6:30 PM), head off to meet some friends to do our weekly Wednesday Night Two Mile walk and then head to the bar for a drink and burger (or whatever) and watch the MLB playoff games. :cool:

Wednesdays are full days for me.

Both of us went to BIL's house to help him cut the roots from some cut-off bushes out of the flower garden there, using our jackhammer with a cutting blade on it. BIL is three weeks out of a knee replacement and is doing well, but of course still recovering. All of us (him, DW, myself) were laughing that there wasn't a person in the group that should have been doing that sort of work given the various health issues we all have. But we did have sense enough to pace ourselves so we took an hour to do 15 minutes worth of work.

Discovered this morning the fridge was not keeping stuff cold or frozen. Might be the compressor, LG has a linear compressor which is apparently a common fail point. Called the home warranty company. They have nobody contracted here and assigned it to a company over an hour drive away in Bakersfield. We went through this before with the furnace and water heater, and it was a pain and delay of too much time.

Visited the one local appliances store that does repairs. They hooked me up to a guy who does repairs and delivers for them. Tomorrow he will deliver a 3 year old fridge with a dent in the door, but who cares it works, and is $200 delivered. It will go on the back porch as a second fridge. Now we have time to wait for the big fridge to be repaired. Nice deal for $200, but ate a big part of the day.

I went flyfishing today, slightly overcast but with beautiful fall colors. Some of the maple trees overhanging the river seemed illuminated ! Just gorgeous. A beautiful day in New England , with a high of 62 F. No fish on my line today, but a FANTASTIC day to be out and on the water. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 47
Mid-week twilight mountain bike race last night. Finished way back in the pack against guys as young as 30. Got a great workout and had fun. Beer after with a couple friends swapping race stories.

Back
Top Bottom