What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I have kids to do that so I don’t need cats.

Heh, heh, one of our kids wanted to be one of the cat's owners. He wanted to be able to say "That is MY cat." We explained that cats "choose" their care-taker. You can call a cat "yours" if you want to, but don't be surprised if she cuddles more with the one who cleans the litter box and fills the food dish.

Heh, heh, one of our kids wanted to be one of the cat's owners. He wanted to be able to say "That is MY cat." We explained that cats "choose" their care-taker. You can call a cat "yours" if you want to, but don't be surprised if she cuddles more with the one who cleans the litter box and fills the food dish.
Don't be surprised if the cat also decides to bite the ankles of the one doing the cleaning and feeding. :)

My BIL thinks I'm an idiot for allowing a cat to live with me. He likes the dogs because they assure him he's a genius. That's the problem, the cat will bring him back to earth.

And that's ultimately what I like about them. Independent little bastards that give you just enough love to melt your heart.

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.

We had two litter mates. We considered calling them cupid and stupid because of their personalities. The smart one wouldn't come when called most of the time. I assume he was fearful of some sort of punishment for whatever mischief he'd been up to. BUT if we called the other cat, he would come (presumably because he didn't want to miss out on whatever treat he thought the other cat had been called to receive.)

Warning! Grumpy old man tirade ahead! Pet peeve of the month: The wedding industrial complex. I was invited to two weddings occurring this month. I declined one invitation. It was at an upscale resort. The rooms were almost $600 per night with a two night minimum. Not to mention the cost of other meals at the place. I sent a nice gift instead.

The second is also at an expensive resort, but this one is about 1.5 hrs away, so I will drive there and back the same day. But it is scheduled for 6 to 11pm. I'll see if I can get away early.

What ever happened to having the ceremony at 2pm at the parish church followed by cake and punch in the fellowship hall and home by 4pm weddings of my younger days? Why do these young folks spend tens of thousands of $ for a wedding these days?

Warning! Grumpy old man tirade ahead! Pet peeve of the month: The wedding industrial complex. I was invited to two weddings occurring this month. I declined one invitation. It was at an upscale resort. The rooms were almost $600 per night with a two night minimum. Not to mention the cost of other meals at the place. I sent a nice gift instead.

The second is also at an expensive resort, but this one is about 1.5 hrs away, so I will drive there and back the same day. But it is scheduled for 6 to 11pm. I'll see if I can get away early.

What ever happened to having the ceremony at 2pm at the parish church followed by cake and punch in the fellowship hall and home by 4pm weddings of my younger days? Why do these young folks spend tens of thousands of $ for a wedding these days?

Social media!!!:D

Warning! Grumpy old man tirade ahead! Pet peeve of the month: The wedding industrial complex.

The culture has been like this for a while. In the early part of this century and forward I noticed wineries in every location with any form of grapes were building very large facilities for primarily weddings. The size of the buildings didn't match the quality of the wine, but the wine was not the point of the business. Virginia and Texas had some really big ones, bigger than the Missouri, Colorado, New Mexico ones that I saw.

Funny this is mentioned. Our church used to be very busy on Saturdays. Not anymore. Weddings are being held in barns and halls. Edit: and wineries, yes.

Our pastor is asked to do destination weddings but only partakes in a very few. They end up getting 'rent-a-preachers' who do this all the time. In some states, notaries can officiate.

What ever happened to having the ceremony at 2pm at the parish church followed by cake and punch in the fellowship hall and home by 4pm weddings of my younger days?

Heh, heh, our marriage over 50 years ago, that's exactly how we did it. Dress, flowers, church, clergy, tux, clean-up, AND honeymoon 1000 mile trip one way - $1000. Yeah, I know, a Grand was a decent chunk of change back in the 70s. Still, we didn't really skimp on anything with the possible exception of our motels on the honeymoon. Oh, splurged on the ring at $335 - not included in the Grand. YMMV

Social media!!!:D

This started happening well before social media, in experience back in the 90's, we can remember getting invitations back then like those mentioned. Social media has just accelerated it much more far and wide, and perhaps made it more a "competition".

There are also differences on things such as urban vs. rural, cultural, location (e.g. niece got married at 6pm 2 years ago in June, in Houston, too hot to get married during the afternoon), etc. that has blended together to what we have today.

There seem to be more "we-cannot-invite-you-to-the-wedding-but-will-still-send-a-fancy-announcement-and-link-to-a-registry-in-hopes-you-will-still-gift-us-something" invitations. Interesting :).

I attended a funeral via zoom. Why not a wedding? Think of the savings and the kids can have their wedding where ever they want to. Destination or not.

Yeah, I'll attend - on line!

Our 52nd anniversary is coming up this Sunday. My DW and I met the preacher at our church at 1:00 pm on a Friday. Just us 3. I was wearing a wool Navy blue sports coat that my Bigdaddy(Grandfather) loaned me. My Bride was in a white dress that we had sneaked and bought,and I gave her a bouquet that I bought on my way to pick her up. We had dated all thru high school and her mom had ask me to please let her baby graduate before we got married.(I did) She was the 1st to graduate in her family. We met at that time on a Friday because her mother worked and got off at 2:00 pm and we could be officially married before they would know. And on a Friday so we could have a honeymoon on the weekend in Cherokee NC and Gatlinburg Tn. & still make it back home by Monday to go to work. It worked for us and we are still glued together by God.

Our 52nd anniversary is coming up this Sunday. My DW and I met the preacher at our church at 1:00 pm on a Friday. Just us 3. I was wearing a wool Navy blue sports coat that my Bigdaddy(Grandfather) loaned me. My Bride was in a white dress that we had sneaked and bought,and I gave her a bouquet that I bought on my way to pick her up. We had dated all thru high school and her mom had ask me to please let her baby graduate before we got married.(I did) She was the 1st to graduate in her family. We met at that time on a Friday because her mother worked and got off at 2:00 pm and we could be officially married before they would know. And on a Friday so we could have a honeymoon on the weekend in Cherokee NC and Gatlinburg Tn. & still make it back home by Monday to go to work. It worked for us and we are still glued together by God.

That's quite a nice story! Congratulations! :)

That's a great read! I like the photo that comes with it. Describes the typical feeling of reading others' pet peeves.
alt-5b1e97d13f07c-5306-748e126b191c59f3450d83abfc543be3@1x.jpg

I especially like the line, "But if you are the kind of person who cries out against this abomination we must warn you that people who go through life expecting informal variant idioms in English to behave logically are setting themselves up for a lifetime of hurt" :LOL:

The way I read the article,

if enough people say it wrong for enough time, it becomes right.

Funny this is mentioned. Our church used to be very busy on Saturdays. Not anymore. Weddings are being held in barns and halls. Edit: and wineries, yes.

Our pastor is asked to do destination weddings but only partakes in a very few. They end up getting 'rent-a-preachers' who do this all the time. In some states, notaries can officiate.

Best wedding I ever went to was my daughters*, they rented a house** for 3 days on a beach that slept 34 people. People showed up Friday partied a bit, had a Saturday wedding on the beach, took pontoon rides out to an island for lounging and swimming. Had fridge filled sandwich food, had a couple of meals catered in, partied some more, and gradually every one left on Sunday. The whole thing probably cost less than $10k, which is a lot of money, but cheap by standards today.

* not that I go to many weddings
** The house was just fabulous, 3 stories, unique interior, large comfortable seating area on top floor overlooking beach.

Congratulations on your 52nd. May God keep you together for many more.

I have 4 rescues that keep me busy. So I am doing my part with 4 different personalities. Not easy but rewarding.
I like dogs too and had a few but my wife does not want the extra effort of dog owning (she also had a few before we married).

Cheers!

I've now had both (cats and current doggo). Neither would/will let me sleep. :facepalm: The kitties had a strict wakeup time of 6:00 a.m.; and if I tried to oversleep, someone would drape herself over my head and start patting my face. Upon occasions, LOUD vocal remonstrations were added to morning wakeup.

Doggo believes sleeping through the night is overrated, and will park herself next to me at 12 a.m. or 2:00 a.m. and cry piteously until I take her out . . .

They each and every one have their own personalities.

Congratulations! That is beautiful.

Today it’s being so annoyed by something that I think “I’m going to post this in the Pet Peeve thread” but now I can’t remember what was bothering me.

My pet peeve is with people who say "could care less" when they mean "couldn't care less.":popcorn:

I just saw this in an article on a news site. Apparently, editing is a thing of the past.

And I'm still annoyed by how the improper use of a colon has become commonplace.

WRONG
"When leaving the house, remember to bring: your keys, wallet, and phone."

RIGHT
"When leaving the house, remember to bring these items: your keys, wallet, and phone."

Or just leave the colon out!

I just saw this in an article on a news site. Apparently, editing is a thing of the past.

And I'm still annoyed by how the improper use of a colon has become commonplace.

WRONG
"When leaving the house, remember to bring: your keys, wallet, and phone."

RIGHT
"When leaving the house, remember to bring these items: your keys, wallet, and phone."

Or just leave the colon out!

Reminds me: Time for a colonoscopy. Hope they don't leave the colon out.:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom