Baseball 2016

I haven't watched MLB in 20 years, but decided to watch some of this series. I think I'm going to try to get back into the game next year. It's going to take awhile to learn the names and history that I missed. But this series was a good start.

More like ~50 years for me. In my day the big names and colorful players were Mantle, Mays, Maris, Aaron, Koufax, Drysdale, and many others I can still name.

I probably have watched more baseball this year than I have in the past few years, primarily when it became apparent that the Cubs were on track to win over 100 games in the regular season. (quite a feat by itself) They did that and went on to win the WS. What a season and accomplishment.

Last edited:
Not a cubs fan or hater. But I'm surprised to see the strong criticism of Maddon. The guy just managed them to a championship. He's got a record of good results. I've got great respect for Joe Maddon and am as happy for him as any of the others.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm criticizing *some* of Maddon's decisions, not the job he did overall. And it's true we don't know what would've happened had he made them differently, but the fact is that both Lester and Chapman not only let their inherited runners score, but let in additional runs that inning too. Unlikely that a different decision would've been even worse. With Lester, he didn't even do what he said he wanted to do, which was to bring him in with no runners on.

There's still nobody I'd rather have managing the team next year. I just hope he learns from the very questionable decisions he made in the last 2 games.

It was a great game. I was rooting for Cleveland, but they lost fair and square. Another consequence is now we won't have any more stories about the 'long suffering' Cubs fans.

Not a cubs fan or hater. But I'm surprised to see the strong criticism of Maddon. The guy just managed them to a championship. He's got a record of good results. I've got great respect for Joe Maddon and am as happy for him as any of the others.

In my opinion, he managed them to the World Series, but the strong hitting by the Cubs and the weakened Cleveland pitching saved him in games 6 and 7.

In game 6, he brought in Chapman with a five-run lead in the seventh inning. That is really unprecedented timing for a closer with that kind of lead. Even if Lindor would have hit a 3-run home run off of Montgomery, the Cubs would still have 2-run lead. I think at that point, you could bring in Chapman if you're still feeling desparate.

In game 7, since he already used Chapman in game 6, and he needed a longer bridge to get to him, getting six or more innings out of Hendricks would have been ideal. Hendricks was pitching great, had a 5 - 1 lead, only 63 pitches thrown, and after walking one guy he took him out in favor of John Lester, who was on two days rest, doesn't like runners on base, and was told he would come in only to start a clean inning. It didn't take Lester long to bounce a 55 foot curveball into David Ross face, which scored two runs on a wild pitch. Cleveland was now back in the game. And since he brought Lester in early, he was forced to bring Chapman in early. Chapman gives up a double and a homerun, and now the entire series comes down to nearly a coin flip.

I always liked Joe Maddon, too. I think he manages players great. Not so sure he is the optimum decision maker during the game.

Great series, though, and Cubs earned the trophy in the end.

Well, I started this thing (the thread) and so should probably add something to the later posts. See what happens when you just shut up? The Cubs win the World Series! (I can hardly believe I just typed that...)

Around about Saturday, I wasn't feeling too hot about the way the games were going, but remember this site and thread and was thinking of a decent tune to post. That was under the assumption that the Series-less streak would continue and I had the idea that something to help soothe things would be appropriate for the Cubs and their fans (like me).

Things turned around, of course, but I'll still post the first one as I think it's a very good performance by an excellent musician. I don't think it's meant to hearten the losers, because I don't think the Tribe lost a thing. They could easily have won that last game and the Series and I have a new admiration for Cleveland's team, about whom I knew embarrassingly little until now. So I suppose it's meant for all baseball teams and the fans who always get ready and hopeful for "next year!".

Here's the tune, from the fantastic Diana Krall:

We all know what ended up happening though, and I wanted to find something specific to the city whose team came out on top. I really, really liked last year's post and results, and it wasn't too hard to come up with this. I'll pass the baton on for next year's version of the baseball thread to someone else. I'm happy!

He is a very good manager, but not perfect. And there are a lot of other aspects to being a very good manager than just your decisions on bullpen usage. Many aspects don't involve on-field decision making at all, and Maddon also excels in those. But there were some really questionable tactical decisions with the bullpen use, though. That said, again, he is a very good manager, one of the best overall IMO, and the Cubs -- by virtue of winning the WS and having the most wins in the majors this year -- are clearly the best team in the game. And their manager was a big part of making that happen.

Watching TV coverage of parade and rally in Chicago--so sweet. Even the river has been dyed Cubbie blue. So great to finally know firsthand what other teams' fans have experienced since 1908.

Epstein was a huge part as well. He built a great team.

Epstein was a huge part as well. He built a great team.

Completely agree with this! I found this great site that explains the evolution from the 2011 Cubs and the 2016 Cubs.

How Theo Epstein built the Chicago Cubs into the best team in MLB | SI.com

And what was really shocking was the 2011 Cubs were on the high end of salaries, and now in the middle of the pack.

Major League Baseball Team Payrolls 1998-2016

And I think Epstein got Joe Madden as that guy who could work closely with some of the youngsters. He did a great job working with Baez in the batting cage to get him to wait a little longer on the pitches in the later games.

A skyline photo from the Chicago Cubs Championship (that sounds nice!) celebration. Reports of upwards of about 5 million people.

Look at all of them!

Attachments

• GrantParkCubs.jpg
    GrantParkCubs.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I believe game 7 was the only full game I watched all season, but I picked a good one!

But yeah, Madden nearly managed his way to a loss. Chapman had one inning of heat, then he was obviously gassed. One more inning from Hendricks, and/or one more from Lester, who pitched reasonably well except for that bouncer to the catcher's facemask, then 100+ mph heat for the ninth. Though my opinion is worth what you paid for it...

I believe game 7 was the only full game I watched all season, but I picked a good one!

But yeah, Madden nearly managed his way to a loss. Chapman had one inning of heat, then he was obviously gassed. One more inning from Hendricks, and/or one more from Lester, who pitched reasonably well except for that bouncer to the catcher's facemask, then 100+ mph heat for the ninth. Though my opinion is worth what you paid for it...

I finally had a chance to watch the post game 7 news conference with Maddon. His perspective was this is a baseball and in baseball good teams perform. In otherwords, the Indians knocked around the Cubs' closer with little rest the same way that the Cubs' knocked around Miller and the Indians' closer after plenty of rest. This may make some sense, But overall, I think Maddon bringing in Lester that early and then Chapman early after that, Maddon panicked and almost blew the world series. Similar to football playing the "prevent defense" down the stretch. Playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

A Tale of Three Cities

Read that the World Champion Chicago Cubs are going to the White House before the changes happen in about a week.

Got me wondering now, will Fowler and Chapman be attended as a sign of good sportsmanship? I hope they do get to attend. They were both a big part of the champion season. Though they moved on the St. Louis and New York respectively

Back
Top Bottom