Chicken Coop Design

We never had a problem with predators because we have had farm collies that watched over them.

We have labs, they will chase off just about everything that comes near the house. They also bark when something or someone is out there, letting us know.

Our neighbor had chickens and used some dog kennel fencing to enclose the area. It was all good until the weasel found them. The weasel got in the coop, killed a chicken or two, but couldn't get the chicken out the little hole he came in. Then I got to reading about the weasel, and actually saw a stoat in our yard. They are the cutest serial killers I know of.

Our neighbor had chickens and used some dog kennel fencing to enclose the area. It was all good until the weasel found them. The weasel got in the coop, killed a chicken or two, but couldn't get the chicken out the little hole he came in. Then I got to reading about the weasel, and actually saw a stoat in our yard. They are the cutest serial killers I know of.

Our main run will be dog kennel fencing that way we have some flexibility and can change the location fairly easily. The run will include 1/2" hardware cloth along the bottom.

I'm just glad we don't have weasels!

We have labs, they will chase off just about everything that comes near the house. They also bark when something or someone is out there, letting us know.
Labs are great dogs, the good-time Charlies of the canine world. I wouldn't rely on them to guard a flock. JMO.

Labs are great dogs, the good-time Charlies of the canine world. I wouldn't rely on them to guard a flock. JMO.

You are right, labs are fun loving dogs! My male is very protective of our property and my DW and I. However, they won’t be my only line of defense.

Growing up, we had chickens, ducks, and a goose in the back yard, with a simple chicken wire fence around them. They were all from teachers who "gave" them to my younger brother at the end of school one year. We had pretty good luck with them for a while, that goose surely chased off anything that came close to the pen. We had a few duck and chicken eggs over the months we had them. Not fond of taste of goose eggs.
A band of raccoons finally got to the smaller chickens and duck, but never got to the goose.
That darn goose lived forever, and followed my brother around like a puppy.
Mom finally gave her to a co worker who lived on a farm when my brother went away to college.

Do or have any of you use the "Deep Litter Method" In your coop? I’m strongly considering this method of waste management in the coop.

From what I have read this reduces liquid and properly managed significantly minimizes odor.

Ultimately, all the bedding and waist would be composted then incorporated in to our garden.

Do or have any of you use the "Deep Litter Method" In your coop? I’m strongly considering this method of waste management in the coop.

From what I have read this reduces liquid and properly managed significantly minimizes odor.

Ultimately, all the bedding and waist would be composted then incorporated in to our garden.

Yes, that’s what I did. I used wood shavings in the compressed bundles from the farm supply store. Made great compost. I love the smell of the fresh wood shavings.

Yes, that’s what I did. I used wood shavings in the compressed bundles from the farm supply store. Made great compost. I love the smell of the fresh wood shavings.

How frequently do you change out the bedding? This would be a good use for all the suitable wood shavings I produce in the shop.

I did it twice per year--in the spring and fall. We used Marth Pine Wood Shavings. By the time we scooped out the shed, stuff was pretty well decomposed and just went on top of the garden, which received a good rototilling at that time. You've probably read on it already, but here's a link that goes into some detail.

https://www.knowyourchickens.com/deep-litter-method/

I did it twice per year--in the spring and fall. We used Marth Pine Wood Shavings. By the time we scooped out the shed, stuff was pretty well decomposed and just went on top of the garden, which received a good rototilling at that time. You've probably read on it already, but here's a link that goes into some detail.

I haven't seen this particular article. It does reinforce the notion that deep bedding is a viable alternative to other methods.

We do it this way also.

^We usually compost it for another month or two before adding to the vegetable gardens.

I think I'm going to need a bigger composter! :dance:

I found a heated chicken waterer similar to what I believe you have described previously.

https://avianaquamiser.com/posts/heated_bucket_chicken_waterer/

Your idea would suit our frigid winters better having room for foam insulation. I have never used the nipples; do you have an issue with them leaking and do you need to replace them very often?

That looks pretty close to what I made. I've replaced nipples twice since making the chicken waterer, they do leak once in a while, but it is not too bad.

That looks pretty close to what I made. I've replaced nipples twice since making the chicken waterer, they do leak once in a while, but it is not too bad.

I’m planning on making a waterer like you did. The simplicity is brilliant! The only thing I may try differently, would be to use a 3-gallon plastic inner bucket and a Thermo Cube so that it’s only heating when it needs to. I use a Thermo Cube to help keep my pressure switch on my well from freezing up when it gets really, really cold. We have a geothermal HVAC system and if the well isn’t running, we don’t have heat or AC.

Thermo Cube - https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovat...&sprefix=heat+tape+thermostat,aps,381&sr=8-46

I think your plan is solid. I think the heat tape I used has a built in temperature and I embedded it inside the insulation so that it would only turn on when the interior got to that temperature.

I think your plan is solid. I think the heat tape I used has a built in temperature and I embedded it inside the insulation so that it would only turn on when the interior got to that temperature.

I'll check into the built in thermostat. Either way, sounds like a solid plan.

Back
Top Bottom