Essentially free Sam's membership (coupon)

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We received a coupon, in one of those mailer envelopes, for a Sam's Club gift card worth $45 if you buy a $45 membership. So we did that, today, and spent the gift card on things we already wanted. We did have to visit the store in person.

Just thought I'd mention, in case someone, who would like a free Sam's membership, is about to throw one of those mailers away unopened (which we used to do).

We were Sam's members about 10 yrs. ago untilwe moved here, when we switched to Costco. Our main reason for switching was that now Costco is closer and Sams is in Tennesee which has more sales tax so the savings on their membership would be offset by that. I have thought about doing that deal and joining back up though ssince it would make it essentially free. Since we use our Costco card for 99% of our card purchases our membership there is more than paid for each year.

Sam's Club has been offering some type of $45 new membership discount for awhile, I signed up last year for one that knocked $45 off your first purchase. Too far of a drive for me for regular visits and they charge for shipping for online orders unless you upgrade your membership ($55) so won't be renewing.

We belong to a BJs 30 miles away - almost an hour's drive. I joined because we like BJs' goods, and they gave us a half-price membership.

The nearest Costco is 80 miles!

Even Sam's is a half-hour drive, given the traffic. The parking lot is very tight and fills fast. Also, I don't like the way they keep produce and dairy in big, open, refrigerated areas. It means remembering to bring a jacket to the store, even if it's 90 degrees out.

Nevertheless, "free" means "can drop in when we're in the area" and still save money.

We were Sam's members about 10 yrs. ago untilwe moved here, when we switched to Costco. Our main reason for switching was that now Costco is closer and Sams is in Tennesee which has more sales tax so the savings on their membership would be offset by that. I have thought about doing that deal and joining back up though ssince it would make it essentially free. Since we use our Costco card for 99% of our card purchases our membership there is more than paid for each year.

Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Flex is 5% at wholesale clubs for this quarter.

I paid Sam's Club my first visit a few weeks back. Bought a $500 American Express gift card which nets me $20 back so 4%.

In addition, Sam's Club gift cards are usable at Walmart.

I did a similar deal a few months ago.
Got one in the mailer, and I'm going to give it to my Aunt.

Sams does ship some items for free with a regular membership, even when the item is on sale.
We gotten 2 shipments sent to us over the months.

Today I went to Sam's and spent $159 on a quick trip.

Sam's is great for pre-made salads in various flavors for ~$2.30 smaller than Costco's which is over twice the price.
Meat is cheaper than Costco.
Chicken (boneless skinless is all I buy) $1.78 lb for either breast/thigh.
90% hamburger was $2.98 lb

FYI.

If you are getting eyeglasses or contacts at Sam's you get 20% off (I think that is right) if you have an upgraded membership. BUT, if you go in shortly before your basic membership expires, you can upgrade for just the pro-rated portion for the remainder of the term. Last time I spent $10 to upgrade, and saved $60.

Good tips, thanks. I should have thought to use the Chase card to pay for the membership. Oh, well, there's still time to hit Sam's again before the 5% expires.

The deal is offered online so I signed up. I've been wanting to try Sam's for years but figured I wouldn't get enough out of it. This was the nudge I needed to give it a go. May not renew after a year but will see.

Thanks for the tip.

I guess it varies. My coupon said clearly that you must go to the customer service desk. If there's an online option, you'd think they'd offer it to everyone, given COVID.

The deal is offered online so I signed up. I've been wanting to try Sam's for years but figured I wouldn't get enough out of it. This was the nudge I needed to give it a go. May not renew after a year but will see.

Thanks for the tip.

Here is the online link:

https://specialoffer.samsclub.com

I joined Sam's Club last year when they were offering a $25 gift card toward a $45 membership. I still shop mainly at Costco but it's nice to go to Sam's every once and a while for a change of scenery. The stores is not as neatly organized as Costco but they do have better prices on some things and there are a few products I like there that Costco does not sell.

Last edited:
One of the BEST things about SAM's Club is their app. They have an app where you can scan products as you put them in the cart. When done shopping, swipe to pay using either your SAM's credit card or any credit card for that matter. A QR code pops up you show the guy when you leave. He'll scan that code off your phone with his gun. Then he'll check one or two items in the cart to keep you honest and your are out the door. Never have to get near a check out, lines, shared scanning equipment, etc. We bring in our cold bags and other carriers and load them as we shop. At the car, it's very easy to unload. I discovered this is a patented process that only SAM's has and was told they won't be sharing it with other retailers. Too bad because it sure takes the distancing thing when shopping to another level.

In our area, the gasoline at Sam's is consistently the cheapest in the area.

Additionally, if you get their credit card, they give you 5% cash back on gas bought at any gas station (doesn't have to be Sam's gas). That's all I use the credit card for, aside that the card also doubles as your Sam's membership card.

Worth looking into. The customer rep (very nice lady) offered us the Sam's credit card, but didn't mention 5% rebate on gas.

The deal is sounding better and better. I wish I liked the drive, and the store itself, better. The cramped parking lot and the cold-storage rooms are real drawbacks. Mr. A. has a disability tag now due to foot trouble. We arrived not long after the 10 a.m. opening, and every single handicap spot was full already. So were almost all the other spots. And it wasn't even Saturday!

In our area, the gasoline at Sam's is consistently the cheapest in the area.

Additionally, if you get their credit card, they give you 5% cash back on gas bought at any gas station (doesn't have to be Sam's gas). That's all I use the credit card for, aside that the card also doubles as your Sam's membership card.

Reasons for us to have a Sam's card:

- they are close (1mile +/-)
- gas is cheaper. Even in Covid times, the lower gas price, for 2 cars, almost pays for the membership.
- they almost always have lamb (less important now that Aldi's almost always does too)
- I can get beef eye of the round (for jerky) almost all the time for about $3.50/lb
- I can get beef brisket, for smoking, often for $3.50/lb

Other stuff adds to the plus side, but not a whole lot. Basically proximity and gas make it an easy buy.

I know a lot of people don’t like warehouse clubs because of the perception of needing to buy everything in bulk. But we’ve been buying a lot of things online from Costco lately that have been very convenient.

We just purchased an integrated bidet/toilet from Costco last month. It’s the Bio Bidet Prodigy model (P770) and it selling for $999 at Costco. The exact same unit at Lowe’s is $2,599. So we saved $1,600 on just that one purchase, which pays for our membership fees for the next decade and beyond.

We also bought two OLED TVs through their online service at prices far better than local retailers, along with five year warranties and a generous return policy. So just the few online purchases we’ve made in the past year have resulted in thousands of dollars in savings.

Reasons for us to have a Sam's card:

- they are close (1mile +/-)

- gas is cheaper. Even in Covid times, the lower gas price, for 2 cars, almost pays for the membership.

- they almost always have lamb (less important now that Aldi's almost always does too)

- I can get beef eye of the round (for jerky) almost all the time for about $3.50/lb

- I can get beef brisket, for smoking, often for $3.50/lb

Other stuff adds to the plus side, but not a whole lot. Basically proximity and gas make it an easy buy.
Brisket for $3.50 a pound? I forget how lucky we are in Texas when it comes to beef prices. My local Sam's, and Walmart too for that matter, frequently have brisket for as low as $2.25 a pound. Throwing a whole packer on the smoker at that price makes it hard to want to return to the local 'cue joints.

Brisket for $3.50 a pound? I forget how lucky we are in Texas when it comes to beef prices. My local Sam's, and Walmart too for that matter, frequently have brisket for as low as $2.25 a pound. Throwing a whole packer on the smoker at that price makes it hard to want to return to the local 'cue joints.

Good price!

The closest one is Concord, but I did it anyway. Will drive up and pick up the card when I'm up to it. There are several near my rentals in the Phoenix area and the gas lines at the ones I have seen with gas stations in various locations are shorter than Costco.

I guess it varies. My coupon said clearly that you must go to the customer service desk. If there's an online option, you'd think they'd offer it to everyone, given COVID.

I still have to go to the customer service desk. I will show them the member number assigned and they give me a membership card. Another number was given to me for the gift card.

Back
Top Bottom