This is why we have Ring doorbell

This is why I don't like glass in my front door.

The front door in my house is likely original to 1971. I kind of would like to replace it with something spiffier, but it is solid wood and heavy, with no glass. When you shut it you get a "dread portal" thump. All plusses in my mind, and I shudder to think what it would cost to replace it with something new of similar quality. Of course, the easily accessible large windows on the front of the house sort of kill any semblance of security.

One of things that I do like about Ring is that you can download the app and see alerts from the PD and nearby neighbors. We have a fairly robust monitoring system on our home, but don't have the Ring...but many of the folks around us do and it's good for situational awareness.

You people are obviously not well versed in classic cinema.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Schwartz
Every comment needs a ref, obviously.

One of things that I do like about Ring is that you can download the app and see alerts from the PD and nearby neighbors. We have a fairly robust monitoring system on our home, but don't have the Ring...but many of the folks around us do and it's good for situational awareness.

So are you saying without paying anything, you can see the alerts from PD and neighbors ?

Attachments

• Helmet.gif
    Helmet.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I wonder if the PD checked his backpack. Break in tools? Tuna sandwich?

Our last dog would love anyone that would pet him, but you would never know that from the ruckus he would raise if someone knocked on the door or rang the door bell.

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 56
I don’t have a ring, but I have Nest cameras and doorbell. I caught a UPS driver trying to make off with some of my medications. He stopped in front of the house. I got the email saying the package was delivered. He drove away without getting out of the truck.
I called UPS and reported it. At first they claimed it had been delivered. When I mentioned medication and video, it got their attention. The driver came back twenty minutes later with my medication. I haven’t seen him since.

I don't care who's at out door. When we get home, I just set my system to shine two very-bright lights at whomever is there after dark, & let my video camera catch their looks of shock.

Last night about 11:15 pm I'm in bed about to turn over & go to sleep & the Ring app alerts me to motion in front. It's takes a minute to load so I go to the door, look out & don't see much. I step out on the porch and look both ways and don't see anything. By then the video has loaded & I see that a guy had walked up to the front door, stepped up on the sill & peeked in the door glass. For about 20 seconds.

I call the PD and then have the guy stopped & questioned in about 15 minutes. He gave them a BS story about a wrong address. He gave them an address on the other side of the highway. By the way he stepped off the 1 front step I'd guess he was intoxicated. He was kind enough to turn around & give a full body shot to the video doorbell

Took me about an hour to get settled & back to bed

https://ring.com/share/6790228254288384149

Just a thought-
Unless your porch area is well-lit and has no bushes or other hiding places nearby, I'd stay inside the house and check it out a much as possible from there.

Even if you're armed, some dirtbag jumps out of the bushes and you shoot him, he or his dirtbag family will claim you were some avenging vigilante just looking for an excuse to shoot their poor innocent son/husband/boyfriend, "who was just getting his life together."

If my doorbell rings late at night my buddy Mr. Glock goes with me to answer it. I feel pretty good about my chances. Heck, we don't even lock our doors around here sometimes. Nobody is crazy enough to try a home invasion when they know every single homeowner is armed. That stuff just happens to sophisticated city folk who are unarmed in their own homes. It's a kind of Darwinism I think.

Was listening to a podcast yesterday and the service had someone actually watching your ring like device and tell the intruder to scram and call police.

Was listening to a podcast yesterday and the service had someone actually watching your ring like device and tell the intruder to scram and call police.

Hmm, how does this work?

I hear lots of people having a Ring but I don't even know how it is installed and how the whole concept works. I get a feeling that the more gadgets are out there to 'protect' the bad guys are getting pretty aggressive and not afraid to come buy and check out cars and take stuff out if they are unlocked.
I think I would be more afraid to go to bed if the Ring kept sending me alerts.

The more Ring doorbells the better for the rest of us. I'm going to looks for a broken RingDoorbell on eBay, being sold for parts, and "install" it, hehe!

The more Ring doorbells the better for the rest of us. I'm going to looks for a broken RingDoorbell on eBay, being sold for parts, and "install" it, hehe!

I notice most criminals, don't really see the ring doorbell, so it won't be much of a deterrent.
Besides, everybody knows the ring doorbell is expensive, so folks that have it must be rich ... worth stealing from :eek:

Is this what the "Ring" you're all talking about is?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/cu...n-ring-isn-t-n1136026?cid=public-rss_20200215

It's kind of a long article but information is what we want anyway.

Ring promises to “make neighborhoods safer” by deterring and helping to solve crimes, citing its own research that says an installation of its doorbell cameras reduces burglaries by more than 50 percent. But an NBC News Investigation has found — after interviews with 40 law enforcement agencies in eight states that have partnered with Ring for at least three months — that there is little concrete evidence to support the claim.

Thirteen of the 40 jurisdictions reached, including Winter Park, said they had made zero arrests as a result of Ring footage. Thirteen were able to confirm arrests made after reviewing Ring footage, while two offered estimates. The rest, including large cities like Phoenix, Miami, and Kansas City, Missouri, said that they don’t know how many arrests had been made as a result of their relationship with Ring — and therefore could not evaluate its effectiveness — even though they had been working with the company for well over a year.

Ring’s rise also comes at a time when reports of property crimes, including package theft and burglaries, are already in steep decline across the United States.

I would prefer not to know if someone does that.

I notice most criminals, don't really see the ring doorbell, so it won't be much of a deterrent.
Besides, everybody knows the ring doorbell is expensive, so folks that have it must be rich ... worth stealing from :eek:

wow. hope your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek when you wrote that post.

I use the rings more for seeing that the dogs are OK when we are gone than for preventing criminal activity.

Back
Top Bottom