Towns and Cities with Free Public Transportation

Vero Beach in Indian River Co Florida has a free bus system. It has become a very popular destination for sailors like us who travel by water and use public transportation.

I'm sure it is a great resource for locals as well.

I checked and it is listed on the Wikipedia link referenced earlier. It is called the GoLine with a "free 14-route public transit system serves 700,000 annual riders".

lol...now THAT's funny. so no police or fire service in your town? no sewer system? garbage collection? street maintenance? public water supply? waste water treatment? none of the things that benefit all residents, transients, visitors, workers? nope, not jealous....just pragmatic.

I grew up in a township with a volunteer fire dept., septic tanks; we hauled our garbage to the dump; you should have seem the snowdrifts we walked thru uphill to get to school...

But yes, we had all the other stuff you mention and we paid taxes.

Hello, mayor of the forum.

It’s like the old joke about the child who didn’t speak until he was 4-yrs.old. Said he had no complaints until then.

Nine years! Time flies when you’re enjoying not going to work.

:dance:

It is indeed nice to see you again, and truer words were never posted.

Doesn't it just :)

Welcome back.

Thanks, Alan. I’m not really back, public transit is just a favorite topic. (will send PM)

Back on topic:

The National Park Service provides free shuttles. I occasionally use it in and to the San Francisco Presidio, (it has a stop two blocks steeply downhill from my apt.). They make a great tour of that part of the city and are a way to get to the Golden Gate Bridge without parking hassles.

I may have understated Newsom’s* argument for free transit for all: collecting & processing Muni fares, checking for theft/fraud, etc. was simply not cost-effective. Boggles the mind to imagine the payroll and now they have a small army of fare checkers who board at bus stops, six at a time, and demand proof of payment; amusing to see two or three passengers dressed in corporate attire pulled off and issued tickets. I’m sure commuters don’t appreciate the delay in getting to work on time.

Short answer to OP, yes, I have free (senior) transit within San Francisco and senior discounts on regional transit.

*Caught a glimpse of him politicking on Bush and Kearney Streets Wednesday after he toured the newish Transbay Terminal.

I'm visiting South Padre Island now. Small place and the free bus service is great. We didn't rent a car figuring we would Uber every where. Turns out we only had car service from the airport (another free shuttle was available, but a pain with the bags.) and twice coming back after bus service ends.
DD#1 lives in Columbus. The free C-Bus keeps traffic congestion down and OSU students off the road.
As for subsidised costs, guess we can move the minimum wage up to $20 an hour so everyone can afford a car or afford unsubsidized public transport.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom