What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Anybody watched Alex Rider (2020) on Amazon Prime? We really enjoyed watching it.

On Britbox we've been watching All Creatures Great and Small from the late 1970s, which for some reason neither DW nor I had ever gotten around to watching. We're hooked by this delightful show, and it often has us laughing out loud. Now we're excited to find there's a new version of it scheduled to air on PBS in January. The trailer for that one looks great; we can't wait.

DW and I are giddy with excitement for the new "All Creatures Great and Small" premiering this Sunday Jan. 10th. We are easily excited. :LOL:

DW and I are giddy with excitement for the new "All Creatures Great and Small" premiering this Sunday Jan. 10th. We are easily excited. :LOL:

I am looking forward to All Creatures Great and Small also , I loved the books.

I am looking forward to All Creatures Great and Small also , I loved the books.

I have cousins living in Yorkshire and am excited to see that amazing scenery again.

Any fan of the 80s or The Karate Kid movies should definitely check out Cobra Kai. They did a great job of bringing back old characters and shedding light on the backstories.

Also, Oak Island is very interesting. A little slow going, but some incredible discoveries.

The Queens Gambit has been on my radar for awhile now. I’ve heard from 4 different sources about how well done it is.

I'm watching Utopia on Amazon Prime. It's OK. Nothing compares to the show I binge-watched recently - The Handmaid's Tale. I thought The Handmaid's Tale would be too depressing and unbearable, but instead, it was kind of addicting with tons of adrenaline-pumping moments with occasional but intense "Yeah, she's gonna stick it to you good!" moments.

The Queens Gambit has been on my radar for awhile now. I’ve heard from 4 different sources about how well done it is.

The Queen's Gambit brought back mostly pleasant memories of the competitive chess I played in high school. One out of every 20 of my opponents would try to distract me in one way or another during the game - essentially playing me as well as playing the game. These opponents probably went on to successful careers in politics, religion, sales, etc. :D

Do today's kids have the opportunity to engage in competitive strenuous rational thinking? Are today's kids aware that 99% of the time that they spend on social media involves lazy emotional thinking? :confused:

I suspect that playing competitive chess in high school prepared me well for the academic rat race to come. In my grad school program, in particular, it seemed like the school was most concerned with protecting its reputation by identifying and eliminating students it considered unfit to receive a degree. I thought that this was a perversion of true education, where the pursuit of knowledge should not be contaminated by the raw self-aggrandizement involved in trying to academically outperform one's fellow students. A tad idealistic, I readily admit. :) I did survive my undergrad and grad programs, but I wondered then and still wonder now whether there should be a parallel educational track for students who don't need to bludgeoned with an academic hammer in order to learn. OK, enough ranting for today. :greetings10:

Last edited:
Any sci-fi fan needs to watch Raised by Wolves. All others use caution. This is not for everyone.

It is very much a Ridley Scott production. To me it is Prometheus meets Lord of the Flies with a little Terminator thrown in, and spiced by The Time Machine, 2001 A Space Odyssey and Eraserhead. Why not?

This show is not for children in any way shape or form. Way too intense. Not anything you'd want to watch with the grandkids. You've been warned.

Where can this show be found? Couldn’t find it on Prime or Netflix. Thanks.

Where can this show be found? Couldn’t find it on Prime or Netflix. Thanks.
Yeah, as rk911 says, HBO Max.

I've been deficient here in mentioning where the stuff I'm watching lives. We probably should all try to make an effort.

I get HBO Max "for free" because I have AT&T internet. It really isn't free. I negotiated local stations that I never watch (the box is actually unplugged) for a few bucks more than internet only, so I'm officially a cable subscriber (locals only), but it was enough to get me HBO Max for under $10 per month. I've enjoyed a few things, but not sure it is worth it.

I bought the Hulu black Friday special of $2 per month so we started the Handmaid's Tale there. I must be a glutton for punishment with all this dystopia.

and just FYI, those with existing HBO subacriptions have access to HBO Max at no extra cost. all HBO programming is available on HBO Max but AFAIK not vice versa.

justwatch.com is also a good place to find where shows are streaming, especially the cost to watch.
I have ATT internet and HBO Max is included "free". HBO Max is also now on Roku.

Just finished the first season of "A Discovery of Witches". UK series that has been renewed, was very well done.

Since Season 2 has started I decided to watch Season 1.

It veers a little more into melodrama than fantasy for me. Mind you, the Oxford scenery is fantastic and it is generally well acted by the whole cast. Except the female lead.. she is.. not great.

Still, probably finish it since it is only 8 episodes (i'm done 4).

Netflix: The History of Swear Words. First episode is excellent. I hope the rest is as good.

Started watching Imposters on Netflix. Enjoying it so far.

We watched
  • all four seasons of Fargo, interesting.
  • The Morning Show season 1, interesting.
  • Killing Eve, just finished season 3, dark interesting.
  • Ted Lasso, quirky interesting.
We’re trying to figure out what next?

I wish Victoria would resume, but seems highly unlikely.

Last edited:
I finished the 11 seasons of Heartland on Netflik. What is my best option to watch seasons 12 and 13? I have prime but looks like it will cost me extra for UP family or Hallmark movie channel.

Probably a better fit for the pet peeve forum, but Bruno's question prompted this question. Why does it seem that every network has created a separate streaming option. This weekend I noticed that AMC now has AMC plus and a series A Discovery of Witches second season will not be on AMC, but instead AMC plus for a charge. It is a silly show and not worth paying more money vs what I already pay through the cable bill for AMC. My Monday morning whine.

The new “All Creatures Great and Small” started last night on PBS.
I enjoyed the first 3 episodes, so far, with PBS Passport.

What new series are you watching?

ETA: meant to quote a recommendation post from a while back from PB4USKI. Just forgot. Oops.

After finishing Line of Duty, we watched all of DCI Banks and Endeavor. Liked them quite a lot, but still think Line of Duty is the best of the bunch.

Enjoyed the stories and watching the characters evolve in DCI Banks. Endeavor episodes are very long, and sometimes it seems he pulls a rabbit out of the hat to solve the mystery at the very end. I really liked the character Fred Thursday, and the actor who played him.

After all these British shows, I’m surprised to not be speaking with an accent. We’ve gotten used to it, but still every once in a while DW and I will look at each other and say ‘what did they just say?’.
It’s always fun to hear the British slang and discover new phrases. Endeavor taught me the phrases ‘Bob’s your uncle’ and ‘How’s your father’. Haha, clever, both of them.

Guess next up is The Bill. Thanks for the recommendations.

Muir

Back
Top Bottom