Delta variant can infect families from exposed children, even vaccinated adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One reason I started this thread is because with Delta I don’t think we should be surprised by breakthrough infections anymore. I wish the CDC were tracking all breakthroughs reported from test results, not just the hospitalized.

Good points, Audreyh1.

Sounds like I might be masking up again indoors.:(

3M N95 masks are now widely available. I picked up 2 boxes (20 pcs in each box) of 3M N95 respirators for $20 each at Home Depot. I also picked up 25pcs 3M 9205+ Aura N95 masks for $30 from a local medical supply store. If this current mutation is as infectious as it seems, it would be wise to dump cloth masks and Chinese masks for NIOSH approved N95 masks before the potential new wave this fall/winter.

My bad. Jimbee. You are correct.

It's not a vaccine, it's something called variolation which uses puss from small pox victims. This site explains it far better than I can. It's somewhat off topic, but I think it's an interesting story in the fight to prevent various infectious diseases. Jenner carried variolation one step further using the much less dangerous cow pox to protect against the more lethal small pox. I guess that's when it became more like today's vaccination. It took a good 200 years of progress to eventually wipe small pox from the face of the Earth.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1200696/

Apparently, they did their version of group testing just as we do today. Though I dare say the idea of testing it on orphaned children would not be acceptable today.

Note: I looked in a mirror after writing this and can barely make out what might be left of my small pox vaccination scar.
The work that the pioneers of medicine performed, the leaps of knowledge are simply astounding. Thanks for posting that.

There seem to be a lot more asymptomatic people around, and my guess is that the fully vaccinated people are upping those numbers. Our wastewater COVID numbers have been disproportionately higher than the reported COVID cases for about a month, and I believe the change is caused by more fully vaccinated people getting infected, but with no symptoms.

3M N95 masks are now widely available. I picked up 2 boxes (20 pcs in each box) of 3M N95 respirators for $20 each at Home Depot. I also picked up 25pcs 3M 9205+ Aura N95 masks for $30 from a local medical supply store. If this current mutation is as infectious as it seems, it would be wise to dump cloth masks and Chinese masks for NIOSH approved N95 masks before the potential new wave this fall/winter.

I purchased the following N95 masks the past 12 months:
1. United States Mask (the ones made in Texas)
2. PHG Protective Health Gear 5160 (made in USA); purchased from Primis Medical
3. Honeywell H910 (made in China); purchased from Primis Medical

The PHG was the most comfortable because the straps were the most comfortable.

The SupplyAid KN95 that I got from SnowJoe.com back in May 2020 were very good.
The straps on the KN95 PoweCom that I got from Office Dept are too short. Came off too easily.

I wish the CDC were tracking all breakthroughs reported from test results, not just the hospitalized ones.

I agree. They definitely SHOULD be tracking cases that represent breakthrough infections, which would help us all learn more about what is going on, and why. Seems crazy to me that this information is not being tracked and documented.

The calculus that guides behavior should include all possibilities, and I guess Long Covid in a previously vaccinated person is possible, but how probable? I'd rather see data than align with even a hospital honcho based just on that as a data point. It seems like being vaccinated is protective of severe disease and death to a huge extent, and the cohort that gets worse symptoms are the ones you might expect would have more trouble. The vaccines are probably pretty good at protecting against Long Covid too, because not heard about an asymptomatic case turning into Long Covid. But if a new bug was spreading around the world and I might mistake it for a common cold, and has a tiny fraction of a percent chance of putting me out of commission for a week, well, that new bug probably wouldn't cause me to change my behavior much, if any.

ETA: But I'm going to take a dose of ivermectin before flying down to the Caribbean. Safe, cheap, I already have it...no down-side.

Yes, you’d like to see data but his point is that there’s no data so he’s waiting.

No downside to Ivermectin but probably no upside either.

I have never stopped wearing a mask in crowded indoor situations (I have an immune compromised husband). I wear the KN95 masks and I recommend them, god fit, lightweight, comfortable and not too hot.

One reason I started this thread is because with Delta I don’t think we should be surprised by breakthrough infections anymore. I wish the CDC were tracking all breakthroughs reported from test results, not just the hospitalized ones.

Someone here had to cancel an international trip recently because his vaccinated wife tested positive from their pre-flight test, although he didn’t, and they wouldn’t have been able to layover at the London airport.

That somebody was me. As an update, DW never had anything but a head cold. But it lasted better part of 2 weeks. She’s basically over it all now. I never got it. Even though I was feeling well, I just tested again to be sure and received a negative result. We never distanced from each other. Hugs, kisses, same room most of the time. Guess I had a much better immune reaction to the vaccine than she did. But she must have great protection now with both vaccine and having recovered.

But dang it hurt to have to cancel that Europe trip at the last minute. Have to wait till next year to get another window.

That somebody was me. As an update, DW never had anything but a head cold. But it lasted better part of 2 weeks. She’s basically over it all now. I never got it. Even though I was feeling well, I just tested again to be sure and received a negative result. We never distanced from each other. Hugs, kisses, same room most of the time. Guess I had a much better immune reaction to the vaccine than she did. But she must have great protection now with both vaccine and having recovered.

But dang it hurt to have to cancel that Europe trip at the last minute. Have to wait till next year to get another window.

Thanks much for the update and so sorry about your trip!

Very glad your wife recovered with what seemed like a cold. A 2 week cold I guess.

However your wife was exposed it could be that she wasn’t shedding enough virus to then infect you.

Unless you had the same interactions/exposures as your wife and think you would have been exposed at the same time.

Thanks much for the update and so sorry about your trip!

Very glad your wife recovered with what seemed like a cold. A 2 week cold I guess.

However your wife was exposed it could be that she wasn’t shedding enough virus to then infect you.

Unless you had the same interactions/exposures as your wife and think you would have been exposed at the same time.

Yes, we know how/when/who she was exposed. A 21 yo unvaccinated friend. I was present and maybe even more exposed than her. Go figure. Probably more accurate to say a 1.5 week cold.

The 21 yo had a difficult case as he has asthma. Even went to hospital and had pneumonia. Released and recovered now fortunately.

We went to a dinner event of about 50. Most of the people were vaccinated. 9 came down with Covid. 2 unvaccinated, 1 died. The rest were all breakthrough cases and my husband was one of them. He had mild head cold symptoms about 3 days after the event and we were alerted that a couple of our friends were tested positive on day 4, so we went to get tested. He was positive and I was negative. He recovered in a week, one unvaccinated died in the same week. We both continued to test and my husband tested negative at Day 9 after first exposure. I tested negative throughout.

We went to a dinner event of about 50. Most of the people were vaccinated. 9 came down with Covid. 2 unvaccinated, 1 died. The rest were all breakthrough cases and my husband was one of them. He had mild head cold symptoms about 3 days after the event and we were alerted that a couple of our friends were tested positive on day 4, so we went to get tested. He was positive and I was negative. He recovered in a week, one unvaccinated died in the same week. We both continued to test and my husband tested negative at Day 9 after first exposure. I tested negative throughout.

Just curious where are you getting tested?
Near me, the only places are the urgent care centers.

I will have to go to the hospital to get tested for upcoming colonoscopy.

Just curious where are you getting tested?
Near me, the only places are the urgent care centers.

I will have to go to the hospital to get tested for upcoming colonoscopy.

Walgreens and CVS. Quest Diagnostic is supposed to be doing the testing as well. We also bought home test kits beyond the first test that we took at CVS and we took the tests at home subsequently. Yes, urgent care clinics here conduct the tests as well.

BTW, regarding tracking breakthrough cases, my husband did get a call from the Health district to go through his vaccine record because of the positive test that was transmitted to them from CVS. So data is being collected.

Last edited:
Yes, we know how/when/who she was exposed. A 21 yo unvaccinated friend. I was present and maybe even more exposed than her. Go figure. Probably more accurate to say a 1.5 week cold.

The 21 yo had a difficult case as he has asthma. Even went to hospital and had pneumonia. Released and recovered now fortunately.

OK - thanks! Wow, you were exposed at the same time!

BTW, regarding tracking breakthrough cases, my husband did get a call from the Health district to go through his vaccine reacord because of the positive test that was transmitted to them from CVS. So data is being collected.
I’m glad the local health departments are tracking it!

This article puts some numbers behind the breakthrough cases and as was discussed elsewhere here shows that the sheer numbers of vaccinated people coupled with the increased spread due to Delta means that more breakthroughs are going to happen. The other day I read that the CDC stopped tracking asymptomatic breakthrough cases on May 1 which is a shame because it would be good to have further numbers on vaccinated carriers of Covid because I would assume that if you are a carrier and then get a genuine head cold that you would become a spreader.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/symptomat...19-infections-rare-cdc-data/story?id=79048589

With more than 156 million Americans fully vaccinated, nationwide, approximately 153,000 symptomatic breakthrough cases are estimated to have occurred as of last week, representing approximately 0.098% of those fully vaccinated, according to an unpublished internal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention document obtained by ABC News. These estimates reflect only the adult population and do not include asymptomatic breakthrough infections.

Substantial vaccination coverage amid increasing COVID-19 case rates are driving an increase in "expected" symptomatic breakthrough infections in recent weeks, the CDC wrote in the document.

As a fellow travel lover, I can imagine your disappointment in having to cancel your trip; I know you were looking forward to it. I'm sorry.

I am glad to hear, however, that your wife recovered well. Thank you for providing us with an update.

As a fellow travel lover, I can imagine your disappointment in having to cancel your trip; I know you were looking forward to it. I'm sorry.

I am glad to hear, however, that your wife recovered well. Thank you for providing us with an update.

+1 :flowers:

I watched the CDC director talk on CBS News and now Fauci and she are featured on Washington Post. It has become more definitive that fully-vaccinated people can transmit the virus even if they are asymptomatic, (unlike alpha variant) due to delta having much higher viral loads, although the extent is unclear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/27/cdc-masks-guidance-indoors/

This was speculated, but never spoken this definitively in the past that I know of.

I had a discussion with my friend whose friend's entire family (and relatives) somehow got infected, and now I know that it probably started with the grandma who was fully vaccinated (which she suspected but I didn't think was possible...)

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure it’s been well established for about a month that vaccinated people can be infected with Covid Delta and infect others. They call them breakthrough infections. The vaccination reduces the severity so many breakthrough cases are asymptomatic.

I’m pretty sure it’s been well established for about a month that vaccinated people can be infected with Covid Delta and infect others. They call them breakthrough infections. The vaccination reduces the severity so many breakthrough cases are asymptomatic.

Yes, the breakthrough infections have been known, but the part that the CDC director said on CDS News was that the new findings from a few days ago show that the fully vaccinated are spreading COVID-19 while they're asymptomatic because even though they're fully vaccinated and asymptomatic, their viral loads are still very high with delta.

Last edited:
Yep. Our kids start school - and this time - NO virtual option so our 9 year old will have to go to school unvaccinated. As a bonus - thus far the school district says "masks optional".

I"m sorry, I'm usually never a busybody but things like this make me think that we the human race are just too overrated.

This hadn’t been clear to me at all until last week. I still didn’t get definitive info on viral load of vaccinated people infected with delta until today.

I think this is not understood by many. People are still surprised by multiple breakthrough infections in households due to delta and don’t realize the game has completely changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom