Non-Drowsy Sinus Meds

Dawg52

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What are you guys taking for sinus problems? I'm looking for something that won't put me into a deep sleep. I'm currently using a Walmart product(Equate) but it makes you drowsy. Zyrtec is a now available OTC but have never tried it. Not cheap though. Anyone tried this one?

Any thoughts?

I used to take Claritin which was fine . Now I take Allegra by prescription . I tried Zyrtec and it left me feeling spacey .

What are you guys taking for sinus problems? I'm looking for something that won't put me into a deep sleep. I'm currently using a Walmart product(Equate) but it makes you drowsy. Zyrtec is a now available OTC but have never tried it. Not cheap though. Anyone tried this one?

Any thoughts?
I think Equate is Wally World's generic name for a lot of different products. Is it Loratadine (generic Claritin)? I use the Equate Loratadine and I have on occasion used another Equate product, think Pseudoephedrine. Drowsiness can be a side effect of Loratadine, but I think it would be the opposite with Pseudophed. I've never had the drowsiness problem using Loratadine, but Pseudophed has made it difficult to go to sleep on a few occasions.

I think Equate is Wally World's generic name for a lot of different products. Is it Loratadine (generic Claritin)? I use the Equate Loratadine and I have on occasion used another Equate product, think Pseudoephedrine. Drowsiness can be a side effect of Loratadine, but I think it would be the opposite with Pseudophed. I've never had the drowsiness problem using Loratadine, but Pseudophed has made it difficult to go to sleep on a few occasions.

The active ingredient is Diphenhydramine HCI 25 mg, whatever that is. Speaking of Loratadine, I noticed that product is on Walmart's $4 drug plan. I'm gonna get my doc to write a prescription for that next time I see him. $4 for 30 tablets, hard to beat. :) The below is off their website.

WAL–MART/SAM'S CLUB $4 Prescription Drug Program
Allergies, Cold & Flu Medications
List Effective September 27, 2007
Applies to up to a 30 day supply at commonly prescribed dosages.

DRUG NAME AND DOSAGE
QUANTITY
BENZONATATE 100MG CAPSULE
CERON DM SYRUP
120 ML
CERON DROPS 1OZ
30 ML*
DEC-CHLORPHEN DROPS
30ML*
DEC-CHLORPHEN DM SYRUP
118ML*
LORATADINE 10MG TABLET

PROMETHAZINE DM SYRUP
120 ML
TRIVENT DPC6215/5SYRUP
120 ML*
* The $4 Prescription program is subject to the following restrictions. This program is available at all Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and Neighborhood Market pharmacies

The active ingredient is Diphenhydramine HCI 25 mg, whatever that is.

Dawg - that is Benadryl, and the same active ingredient as in Sominex and Tylenol PM (and usually the same dosage...2 x 25mg caps). No wonder you are falling asleep. You will also find an Equate sleep-aid capsule with the same active ingredient and dosage, same number of capsules, usually a little higher price...

I would say try the loratadine version (OTC version of claritin, supposed to be non-drowsy formula). DW took it for a while and it was fine...better than diphenhydramine, and non drowsy. They don't sell it here, so she is on something else here that it not sold in the US.

R

Last edited:
Dawg - that is Benadryl, and the same active ingredient as in Sominex and Tylenol PM (and usually the same dosage...2 x 25mg caps). No wonder you are falling asleep. You will also find an Equate sleep-aid capsule with the same active ingredient and dosage, same number of capsules, usually a little higher price...
Well, that seems to solve the drowsiness question.

Speaking of Loratadine, I noticed that product is on Walmart's $4 drug plan. I'm gonna get my doc to write a prescription for that next time I see him.
I didn't know Loratadine was still a prescription med. I buy mine off the shelf. I can't remember the price, but while it is not too expensive, I am sure it's more than that price.

For congestion I like a cheap Sudafed equivalent (pseudoephedrine). No sleepiness with it and it really works for me. I think you'll have to ask the pharmacist for it -- apparently it can be used to make speed.

Coach

I have been taking Zyrtex for years and it never makes me drowsy.

If you ever feel the need to take a Benadryl type product for a stuffy drippy nose, consider the children's size tablet. It works wonders for me and I can work and stay awake just fine. Just the right amount of active ingredient for an adult.

Has anyone used a Netti Pot, nasal irrigation for sinus problems? It is a ancient medical practice gaining popularity in the U.S.

I bought one for dh the other day. He was skeptical about pouring water into a nostril & not choking/drowning. But it is easy & not uncomfortable at all.

Here's info on the netti pot from webmd:
Neti Pots

I have a netti pot, I started using it last summer when my allergies were going strong. I use it in the shower...that's easier than leaning over the sink. It works great, cleans my sinuses out.

The important things to remember is getting the water just warm enough, getting the salt level correct and not to pour too fast.

I second the netti pot. It takes a little practice at first but quickly becomes routine.

RPh in the house.

I didn't know Loratadine was still a prescription med.
Silly drug company tricks.

Loratadine (formerly Claritin) was Rx-only, now is OTC under many different generic names. So, having lost millions of dollars from losing patent protection on the drug, the company will then market the drug's active metabolite or isomer as a separate drug.

In this case, desloratadine, or Clarinex. Currently, clarinex requires a prescription, claritin or equivalent does not.

Wikipedia has a decent writeup of the history if you're interested under the Regulatory section:
Loratadine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may be obvious but I should advise caution if you are diabetic or have high blood pressure to be careful with the sudafed/decongestants. Also, good old-fashioned benadryl or chlorpheneramine work well if you are used to taking them - the drowsiness affect wears off after several days of taking the medication. Conversely, if you are trying to use benadryl for sleep this tradeoff may frustrate you.

i did allergy shots. had them as a kid when allergies were particularly nasty. worked well for about 30 years. but in my 40s they cranked up again so i went back to the allergist. was on company insurance with just small co-pay. even still i don't think the shots are very expensive. this series lasted five years, the last year being only monthly. while not completely cured, i'm done with the shots and symptoms have been reduced by maybe 80-90%. i supplement with claritin as needed.

Different people will react differently to the same drug.

I use Clariton D and it last 24 hours and works great.
I have used Allegra before, but my insurance does not cover it anymore- it is what I prefer.
I have used Zyrtec as well, not sure when. it worked, but not as good as Clariton D.

I also use bee pollen on occasion which also helps and is much cheaper than all the above.

You can buy generic costco brand claritin/loratadine ridiculously cheaply. I think I bought two bottles with 100 tabs in each for eight bucks.

Consumer reports rated it tops for allergy suffers on the basis of highest effectiveness and lowest side effects...even over the major prescription meds.

Another totally non drowsy approach is to use flonase/fluticasone or equivalent.

The neti pots and equivalent are a very good way to go. We have a new one from Neilmed called the sinus rinse and it works great...basically a bottle with a tube running from the cap to the bottom, comes with little individual saline solution packs. More pressure than the neti pot but it works faster.
NeilMed Products - Sinus Rinse, Nasal Rinse, Sinusitis, Rhinitis, Allergies

Key here is you're removing the allergens from your sinuses so they cant irritate it. Another big one is washing your hair before you go to bed. Pollens and other allergens collect mostly in your hair during the day, especially if you use any sort of sticky hair product. Then you lay down and deposit those on your pillow, then breathe them in.

So give your sinuses a rinse twice a day, and wash your hair before bed. You might find that solves the problem without drugs.

Different people will react differently to the same drug.

I use Clariton D and it last 24 hours and works great.
I have used Allegra before, but my insurance does not cover it anymore- it is what I prefer.
I have used Zyrtec as well, not sure when. it worked, but not as good as Clariton D.

I also use bee pollen on occasion which also helps and is much cheaper than all the above.

A little slow responding to your post.:blink: I have recently tried Zyrtec-D and it does help. Makes me feel a little weird(could be my other meds;)) and not cheap. My sinus problems have gone down hill over the last few months. I take regular Clariton but have to take 2 pills to get any results.
Might try Clariton D to see how it works. Is it cheaper than Zyrtec-D?

My doc prescribed Allegra but it's in the non-preferred bracket so I never had it filled. Might have to bite the bullet. Anyone order this stuff though Canada? Or is that out these days?

A little slow responding to your post.:blink: I have recently tried Zyrtec-D and it does help. Makes me feel a little weird(could be my other meds;)) and not cheap. My sinus problems have gone down hill over the last few months. I take regular Clariton but have to take 2 pills to get any results.
Might try Clariton D to see how it works. Is it cheaper than Zyrtec-D?

My doc prescribed Allegra but it's in the non-preferred bracket so I never had it filled. Might have to bite the bullet. Anyone order this stuff though Canada? Or is that out these days?

Maybe you should go to Claritin D .The D stands for decongestant and that will help your sinuses but be careful with that if you are on BP medication.

I used to have some bad times....

Allegra worked for a couple of years and then stopped...

Zyrtec made me sleepy and I only used it a few days, so can not say how good it is...

Clairitin worked great for me for many years, but I have seemed to become resistent to it, so it does not work that good anymore..

Benadryl has always worked to clear me up, but it does make you sleepy...

But I agree with Rich... I have used a steroid spray and it clears me up in about a week or so... I have gotten steroid shots a couple of times and they worked great, but I was told that the side effects were not good on the body, so I went to the spray...

I found that when I was in London, they sold sometime called Becanase (or something like that) which is a steroid spary over the counter. Whenever I happen to fly through London, I pick up as much as I can in the airport... I have been using it the past three weeks and my supply is getting LOW :(

I will have to try that 'torture' pot that is mentioned... seems to me that it would be worse than water boarding... but who knows...

Claritin doesn't help me at all, even though I never took it before.

I used to like Allerest back in Texas in the early 1980's and it worked perfectly for me. I think it is not available in the same chemical composition or else maybe it is one of those you have to ask the pharmacist for or something.

These days I usually just "tough it out", and meanwhile consume Hot and Sour Soup, eat Cajun food that is so heavy on the Cajun spices that it makes you sweat (and clears my sinuses), and/or run very hot water on my face for 5-10 minutes. My sinus problems are only borderline anyway, not nearly as bad as those some people have. Unlike most people, my sinus issues improved drastically when I moved from Texas to Louisiana.

I use horseradish to clear the sinuses, and Sambuca to help with the post nasal drip. Not at the same time, though.

Back
Top Bottom