New York City

^^^^^ Yes that would be a concern if planning a trip to NYC now. We have avoided it in recent years. Last trip long weekend before Thanksgiving, 2017. Very nice trip then.

That situation should improve by the spring and that would be decent timing I think.

Last edited:
Did they let you set up a tripod at night? Be surprising to hear if they did.

Thing is they have these plexiglass walls the last time I went so you couldn't get a clear shot through them. I think I went just before sunset and not all the buildings were lit up so I took pictures handheld.

No tripod. I set my camera on the top of the wall away from the plexiglass.

I love staying near Times Square over Thanksgiving, and watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, and seeing as many Broadway shows as can be fit in.

Many people have suggested Broadway shows, but I would add a twist. Buy your tickets at the OFFICIAL half-price ticket booth (avoid the many fakes) on the day of the show. https://www.nytix.com/tkts Not only did it give us a significant discount, but it also nudges you to see shows that you are not familiar with due to availability. Just be aware that there are fewer shows open than usual on Thanksgiving day.

I haven't been able to read all the responses yet, but I suspect most everything that I could think of has already been covered. That said, I'll throw something else into the mix: If possible, I would try to visit in December. For some reason, I LOVE the NewYork Christmas vibe (and I'm not usually all that much into the Holidays actually but NY is different). Something about the cold temperatures, roasted chestnut carts, Christmas decorations, iceskating rink, etc etc. You just have to experience it once in your life, I think.

You probably won't have time for these but I offer to those reading this thread who might have more time or want a different experience.

I would second the food tours (several choices). We went on a "pizza tour of Brooklyn" that was on a small bus. As they drove around Brooklyn they showed movie clips from movies shot in that location. We followed the car chase from the "French Connection" and then down the street John Travolta walked down in Saturday Night Fever". First pizza stop was Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge. Then the Spumoni Shop for Sicilian pizza where there was a group at a large table that could have been in the Sopranos.
When you go to the 9/11 Memorial, take a moment to walk across the street to St Paul's Chapel, the oldest church in Manhattan. Built in 1766 it was not damaged, even though only 100 yards from where the buildings collapsed. They have one pew roped off that was George Washington's. Outside the church are several graves from that era. Some recognizable names.
Walk around the neighborhoods and just people watch. We were amazed at all the people who walked their children to school. Stopped in a coffee shop and saw Morgan Freeman sitting alone enjoying his coffee. In the Financial District we had one couple who asked US for directions.
Try food from a street vendor. We enjoyed a falafel, which I had never had before and didn't know existed. Also a knish which was another new experience. Katz's Deli was crowded, communal but great.
If you are in that area visit McSorley's Bar, which they claim to be the oldest in NY. They make their own light and dark beer and that is the only beer they offer (and they serve two mugs to order). We were there after a Rangers matinee game and it was a rowdy celebration.

I haven't been able to read all the responses yet, but I suspect most everything that I could think of has already been covered. That said, I'll throw something else into the mix: If possible, I would try to visit in December. For some reason, I LOVE the NewYork Christmas vibe (and I'm not usually all that much into the Holidays actually but NY is different). Something about the cold temperatures, roasted chestnut carts, Christmas decorations, iceskating rink, etc etc. You just have to experience it once in your life, I think.

I second this, there’s nothing like NYC Christmas. I went twice as a young boy, both times for winning contests as a paperboy, saw the Rockettes Christmas show, the tree and ice skating at Rockefeller Center, hot roasted chestnuts from street vendors. When we lived in NY city suburbs we never missed going in during Christmas.

In the Financial District we had one couple who asked US for directions.

One caution about that.
One of the distinguishing characteristics of New Yorkers is that they will never admit to not knowing something about the city. So if you ask one for directions you will definitely get clear instructions on exactly how to get where you want. Those directions might be hopelessly inaccurate and actually take you the wrong way, but you will be assured that the person knows the location intimately. :LOL:

Disclaimer: I was born and raised in NYC so I have certainly been guilty of the above. :angel:

OP here. I'd like to go around Christmas. But DW doesn't handle travel pre-Christmas very well because it lessens her holiday prep time. And the MJ musical (Michael Jackson) that she wants to see doesn't start until 12/16.

So I'm looking at early April unless I get DW to go for somewhere between 12/16 and 12/25.

Again - thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Who needs a Fodors book when I have the travelers of er.org?

Walking around lower Manhattan is much more difficult for the unfamiliar, the street names aren't numbered and with all the tall buildings it can be very difficult to get your bearings. Helps to have your cellphone with a maps app. to get around.

OP here. I'd like to go around Christmas.

I was there just before Christmas and it was beautiful. Down by the Christmas tree at night. People skating on the rink. The thing I noticed was the many foreign travelers speaking different languages. Just everyone so in the spirit of the season. The next day it snowed and Central park was also magical with kids sliding and making snowmen with the horse carriages taking people around. Nothing like Christmas in NY. Splurge and stay one night at the Plaza next to Central Park?

Last edited:
Google Theater Development Fund and see if you are able to join- it is like HotTIx but you can get shows in advance. If you are outside NYC it is very cheap and well worth it. As other have said, the Tenement Museum is wonderful. Check for free days as well. We enjoyed the Frick on Fridays when free and had a nice concert to boot. The Cloisters is out of the way but we loved it. We also enjoyed walking around the garment district and looking at the windows- so many buttons and trims.

If you are/were a John Lennon fan take a cab to The Dakota where he was shot down, moment of silence to reflect, and then Strawberry Fields. It’s been many years since I’ve been to NYC but this was a very memorable stop for me.

I agree with a lot of the suggestions above for a first-time trip. For those who have visited before, I would add:
- Roosevelt Island Tramway
- Best hot chocolate: Jacques Torres mrchocolate.com
- Museum of the Moving Image in Queens
- Museum of Sex for couples, although I see that admission is a lot steeper than it used to be
- Whitney Museum, especially for the Biennial (next one is planned for 2022)

We used to live around NYC and our whole family really enjoyed the dinosaur display at the Museum of Natural History (5th floor IIRC?). It's a great (and free) museum that spans an entire city block.

I can't believe no one has mentioned getting a New York Slice. Been away for so long and I still miss the great pizzas around the tristate area!

Not sure how much experience you have with a busy city... I've seen tourists with sensory overload around the busier part of town like Times Square. Just pace yourself and you'll have a great time!

BTW, I haven't been to NYC in at least 5 years.

Found some okay hotel rates at the time but Manhattan rates can get ridiculous. I saw some rates around Central Park and some go well over $1000 a night.

I'm not even sure these are like fancy suites or have Central Park views either so they may be on the low side, with many rooms even more expensive.

Has anyone stayed in places like NJ? I took the PATH train once and it was a pretty long ride, after which you have to switch to regular subway or bus to get anywhere.

I would imagine NJ hotels near PATH stations or with views of the NYC skyline wouldn't be cheap but maybe cheaper?

Also wonder how Airbnbs are these days. NYC has cracked down on Airbnb, probably with hotels lobbying them. So they may not even be legal but yet you can find NYC Airbnbs, obviously.

Trust me

Unless you have a truly burning desire to see the Empire State Building, you will use up A LOT of time waiting to get in. If you do go, make sure you are there right when it opens. Same with the Statue of Liberty. It will eat up a large portion of your day. The Staten Island Ferry gives you a free (or almost free) view and is wonderfully convenient. Save the time for the bazillion of wonderful things to do. The Tenement Museum is fascinating. The Museum of Sex is well worth the trip and definitely an only on NYC thing. Go WAY out of your comfort zone and eat off the beaten track ethnic food - Filipino, Afganhi, Nigerian, etc. Skip Little Italy - tourist trap now. Go to a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown where the menu isn't in English and all the customers are Chinese. Grab bagels and lox and sit and people watch in Central Park. Check out Grand Central Station (go downstairs for lots of food choices). See a comedy show at the Comedy Cellar. Walk around Greenwich Village. Have a blast and don't do anything you could do in any place other than NYC.

We were just there in Sept. for 3 nights. We did:

Met. Museum of Art

Natural History Museum

Times Square

911 Memorial

Brooklyn Bridge

Statue of Liberty

and Top of the Rock at night.
Sounds like 3 full days. Most Broadway shows travel so just see them at your home city (SF or Sam Jose here)

Didn't see the Circle Line mentioned. Boat tour around the island of Manhattan. You will see more in a couple hours than possible any other way.

Lot's of good ideas already mentioned: Broadway, museum, Little Italy, Chinatown.

Go to a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown where the menu isn't in English and all the customers are Chinese.

Ha! Thanks for a good memory. Long ago a group of us would meet there for lunch one Friday a month. We went to a place that specialized in hot Szechuan food, and we always had them bring a tub of cold beers to set next to the table.

Wonderful food (as you would expect) but we really needed the cold ones to put out the fire.

BTW, I haven't been to NYC in at least 5 years.

Found some okay hotel rates at the time but Manhattan rates can get ridiculous. I saw some rates around Central Park and some go well over $1000 a night.

I'm not even sure these are like fancy suites or have Central Park views either so they may be on the low side, with many rooms even more expensive.

Has anyone stayed in places like NJ? I took the PATH train once and it was a pretty long ride, after which you have to switch to regular subway or bus to get anywhere.

I would imagine NJ hotels near PATH stations or with views of the NYC skyline wouldn't be cheap but maybe cheaper?

Also wonder how Airbnbs are these days. NYC has cracked down on Airbnb, probably with hotels lobbying them. So they may not even be legal but yet you can find NYC Airbnbs, obviously.

I am a native of NJ and have visited NYC several times since moving away a while ago. We always stay in NJ, usually on a major bus route in the Meadowlands area (from Teaneck to Secaucus- several nice hotels here with reasonable rates, given the high prices in the region). Bus trip to Port Authority in NYC costs only a few bucks, and takes less than 30 mins. From the Port Authority building you can cab, subway or on a nice day walk to many of the attractions. DW and I walked the 40 blocks to Broadway and Central Park area no biggie.
No need to take Path Trains to the City unless you are staying in NJ very near the Path stations.
One trip we actually stayed near Princeton NJ and took the NJ Transit local train to Penn Station NYC. From Princeton you can also catch Amtrack, but it costs 2x. Quite the experience, and my personal favorite!
Either way, be sure to have all bus and train timetables on your phones, and finally, do not drive into the city. Between traffic nightmares, tunnel, bridge and Turnpike tolls, and the hassle of finding a place in the City to park ($$$$), it is simply not worth doing.

Back
Top Bottom